Track day Tyres. List 1B. Tyre width on 7" rim?

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi all, right just ordered some new rims for track fun an now need to sort some tyres for them, i am looking at all the normal list 1B suspects like AO48r, R888, V70A, DZ01J etc but what i am more interested in is what compound are people running or what can you recommend or indeed not recommend :confused:.
The car is mostly a 1/4 mile toy so the tyres will be purchased with that in mind, but i may decide to try throwing it round snetterton once i get the suspension sorted a bit better.

Any info/coments/opinions welcome,

Thank in advance

Tasha. :)

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
R888's on low psi served james hodgson well in his rapid mk2 golf 1.8t on 1/4 mile where regs forced him to run 1b tyres.

BF Goodridge Profiler? rings a bell for drag racing..

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
I have done loads of trackdays and just use the same as I do on the road as trackday tyres are silly money
Hi, i think i have hit the limit of my road tyres (T1-Rs) as my times down the strip have now become fairly static, so i'm looking at ways of gaining a few 10th other than simply uping the power, so tyres and further lightening are all on the cards at the mo, ultimatly i will up the power but my BT manifold etc is still under construction and the current £/$ rate has slowed things down to.

R888's on low psi served james hodgson well in his rapid mk2 golf 1.8t on 1/4 mile where regs forced him to run 1b tyres.

BF Goodridge Profiler? rings a bell for drag racing..

Hi bill, was going to go for the R888's but a bit of digging on the net found a few reports saying that they were a little to hard for drag use and there was better alternatives, one of wich was indeed the BF goodridge G force drag radial which do seem to be the #1 choice for drag as i think both paul jordan and paul bargate run them on ther roccos to good effect and i think james has had a stint on them to.
The only thing putting me off is they are only avaliable in 16" fitment in a 225/50, and a 225 on a 7" rim may be a bit dodgy:confused:. They would be fine for straight line runs but i do need to be able to drive it there and back safley.
The only other one to really catch my eye was the khumo V70a as they do them in 205 and 215/45/16 iirc, with a choice of soft, medium or hard compound.

Any thoughts?

Tony_Danza

Have you thought of getting some tyres for track use and just using tyre softener for 1/4 miles? Do a google search for 'Grip Tyre Softener'.

I know the lads at Votex run DZ02G on their track Leon and after a lot of trailing other makes, they personally find them the best. You'll get around 6 hard days out of a set of soft.

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Have you thought of getting some tyres for track use and just using tyre softener for 1/4 miles? Do a google search for 'Grip Tyre Softener'.

I know the lads at Votex run DZ02G on their track Leon and after a lot of trailing other makes, they personally find them the best. You'll get around 6 hard days out of a set of soft.

Hi Tony, yes i have looked at the softeners but most of them seem to need applying 24hrs in advance of the tyre being used, and as i need to be able to drive the car to and from pod (over 100 miles for me:cry:) by the time i had reached the track the "softened" layer probably would be worn off or at best not at its optimum performance wise.

Anyway can anybody comment on a 225/45 on a 7" rim, is it to wide:confused:as i suspect it may be, if so what width are people running on 7" rims? 205? 215?

Any comment welcome. :)

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi, the same as last time i see you at pod i think around 210bhp and 275lb/ft, but this lot is in prepration for the BT conversion just waiting for last bits on manny to be sorted then trial fit and get it all welded up, just thought i would see how much more i can push from the K03 whilst i waiting, should be 300-350bhp once done.

ian_cupra

i remember you now, spring fest

cool, i managed a 13.1 with k03s hybrid, on road tyres and no diff :D

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Yep thats it spring fest, thats an impesive time you got there, i'm going to see how far down the 13's i can get on the dinky K03 just for fun really untill everything else is ready to fit, my prediction is not very far, lol!
I keep pulling bits of the car to make it lighter got all the sound deadning to scrape out next, better dig the heat gun and wall paper scraper out!

Are your rims 7"? if so what size tyre are you running?

ian_cupra

thats my next job, then get the power sorted out, as not running as much as it should be, and a diff, and should be in the 12's :D plus need some decent tyres, not sure what yet though, kinda in the same boat as you

yeah 7's, running 195/45/16 goodyear eagle f1

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
The only other one to really catch my eye was the khumo V70a as they do them in 205 and 215/45/16 iirc, with a choice of soft, medium or hard compound.

Any thoughts?

too hard for drag racing.. more a track tyre I would have thought. i used to run these.
get a pair of wheels for your drag tyres and change em @ the event

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.