Tuning!

cupraman1991

I know the usual mods that can be done to a car to get better performance airfilter,exhaust,cams,lowering,chip,brakes,gearbox just wondering whats the best order to go about doing these things its a mk2 2litre 8v ibiza cupra gti and suggestions?

vngtx

airfilter, exhaust, chip, lowering, brakes, gearbox, cams. thats a nice order to do em. seems a waste when you can change 8v head for 16v. for less than that will cost.

cupraman1991

I didn't know u can change the heads how much work does it envolve ?

vngtx

it means changing inlet, wiring loom, ecu, fuel lines. quite alot but not as much as a complete engine conversion.

cupra-8v

Aug 28, 2009
I too have an 8v n didnt know you could change the head for a 16v, may sound like a silly question but can the internals handle it? Are the bottom ends the same on the agg and abf?

vngtx

I too have an 8v n didnt know you could change the head for a 16v, may sound like a silly question but can the internals handle it? Are the bottom ends the same on the agg and abf?

both use 2E bottom ends. im not entirely sure if the crank is the same but it can be done. most you could get with a 2.0 16v is probably 180hp.

vngtx

best option without convertion is superchip your 2.0 8v with cat back exhaust and induction kit. shud get upto 140hp.

cupra-8v

Aug 28, 2009
Very true but everything for a 1.8t conversion is harder to come by ive found? I think its a race to find the first one between us all on here!

cupra-8v

Aug 28, 2009
Nice will be different! I looked into it but thought it was alot of work, custom manifolds drilling into the sump etc. I used to have a cordoba sx the abf and that was a different league to the 8v i found. It had the cupra sites plates on it so im guessing someone off here owned it before me the reg was S397 VMY. Does the wiring within the car need to be touched for a 16v conversion or is it just a case of using the existing loom?

vngtx

Nice will be different! I looked into it but thought it was alot of work, custom manifolds drilling into the sump etc. I used to have a cordoba sx the abf and that was a different league to the 8v i found. It had the cupra sites plates on it so im guessing someone off here owned it before me the reg was S397 VMY. Does the wiring within the car need to be touched for a 16v conversion or is it just a case of using the existing loom?

would need whole new loom from 16v car. have to change all the pulleys too to make the 16v belt fit over both cams. reading wat ive put now it looks like a lot more work than its worth.