turbo loss on leon cupra

chrisngcupra

I have an intermittent but annoying problem on my 2002 Leon Cupra 20vt. After a cold start, I drive the car gently until it reaches operating temperature, then when I begin normal driving, the turbo doesn't work! The car still runs fine and is still fairly quick but without the assistance of the turbo! However, if I pull over, switch the engine off then restart it everything is fine, turbo kicks in normally and performance is good, no problem whatsoever. It has been doing this for a few months now and is getting more frequent, anyone got any ideas what it could be? :shrug:
Post #423

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
could be going into limp mode which would account for the loss of performance, get it scanned on VAG COM (if you know anyone who has it or ask in the VAG COM section for people in your area).

Do you have any Engine Management lights coming on?

chrisngcupra

No there is no engine management light coming on, just no turbo :( thanks for the suggestion, think I can get the use of a VAGCOM, so if it is going into limp home mode, but only when after a cold start, must mean something to do with the cold start system must be playing up?

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Limp mode doesn't bring a light on, the boost will only go to 5-6 psi and when ignition switched off and then back on again it re-sets until the problem trips it back to limp mode, also vag com will not always show the problem.

chrisngcupra

Had it on a computer today and was told it came out with no fault codes, and when I unplugged the MAF yesterday it ran fine with no turbo loss and also ran smoother than usual! Could a faulty MAF cause this problem?!