Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
I had the same problem when I updated my maps last Sunday, had to use a new 32gb card (which I already had), 2 of my old 32gb cards did not have enough space. I checked them for errors but non found.
Probably bad sectors:

The old chkdsk command (method 3) you use to patch around them but that means you loose space. Like the old bad sectors you use to have on floppy disks. The manufacture could also short change you of space.

I didn't hit the problem myself. A larger allocation unit than the one above will eat into available SD space due to the Fat32 overheads. Stores the data and index in that space. On that SD card 2gb of the 32gb is going to the index on the current allocation unit.

Perhaps we'll all be getting bigger SD cards out for the next release. I have one ready 😍.

Reactions: Walone

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
I had the same problem when I updated my maps last Sunday, had to use a new 32gb card (which I already had), 2 of my old 32gb cards did not have enough space. I checked them for errors but non found.
Sorry to hear that, but I'm also glad that I'm not the only one running in this shortage of memory space. And it's also good to know that updating with bigger cards does work, if needed.

Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
Sorry to hear that, but I'm also glad that I'm not the only one running in this shortage of memory space. And it's also good to know that updating with bigger cards does work, if needed.
Mib2 High otherwise called Seat Plus takes the following
20221119_141331.png

For SD cards:

SDHC (max. 32 GB) and SDXC (max. 2 TB (terabytes) in exFAT and
NTFS file systems

For USB:

FAT32, exFAT and NTFS file systems (going to be 2nd two for USBs above 32gb)

The allocation size for Fat32 is critical thou, if it's set to too large for the 32gb card the mib2 high maps for Europe won't fit on or the card is defective with bad sectors. Allocation size should be set at 16 kilobytes. That gave 379 mb spare on the card I used, but in the future if it pops this or your card doesnt have it then it will be a bigger card or USB in exFAT or NTFS.

I note I had one 32GB card set at an allocation size of 8192 bytes. Since 2016/17 the Mib2 high maps have grown by about 750MB a year, thus it's seems the next release may pop the 32GB card....

Reactions: CupraRST
Jan 27, 2023
hey guys, is there someone who can help me? i need to download the below version of map because of misssing original SD card I´m dealing with manual described here regards lost card - at this site is only old not working link and I was not able to google it either, can you please someone help? thanks

0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip

Tell

Staff member
hey guys, is there someone who can help me? i need to download the below version of map because of misssing original SD card I´m dealing with manual described here regards lost card - at this site is only old not working link and I was not able to google it either, can you please someone help? thanks

0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip
First do you have a Vag map card. The unit reads the CID off the SD card. It has to be a Vag map card to be recognised e.g.. Seat, Skoda or VW. Any of those. Those cards are available on eBay. Then the unit itself and this is only for the Mib2 standard unit, if a card was placed in it before then we use the original year one, get that working. Then do the Overall.nds trick taking that copy off the file and putting it on the most recent mal download. If the unit has never been paired with a map card before then you can jump directly to the map release. In both instances you must use a Vag card. The CID check is to ensure Vag gets a flow of income from the mapcards.

If you post up the firmware release that would clear up the issues. I note you are posting from what appears to be America. In this instance the early VW US cards linked the unit to the Overall.nds American file. An added complication since the region is the American region. I'm not sure we have a solution for US cars without the SD card. There is a solution for import US cars to Europe with a US card. Also a European infotainment unit / car exported from Europe. For a US American VAG car your US year dot overall.nds one isn't the European one. In that instance you would be looking for published historic US Vag map files. Depends how old the car is.

Jan 27, 2023
First do you have a Vag map card. The unit reads the CID off the SD card. It has to be a Vag map card to be recognised e.g.. Seat, Skoda or VW. Any of those. Those cards are available on eBay. Then the unit itself and this is only for the Mib2 standard unit, if a card was placed in it before then we use the original year one, get that working. Then do the Overall.nds trick taking that copy off the file and putting it on the most recent mal download. If the unit has never been paired with a map card before then you can jump directly to the map release. In both instances you must use a Vag card. The CID check is to ensure Vag gets a flow of income from the mapcards.

If you post up the firmware release that would clear up the issues. I note you are posting from what appears to be America. In this instance the early VW US cards linked the unit to the Overall.nds American file. An added complication since the region is the American region. I'm not sure we have a solution for US cars without the SD card. There is a solution for import US cars to Europe with a US card. Also a European infotainment unit / car exported from Europe. For a US American VAG car your US year dot overall.nds one isn't the European one. In that instance you would be looking for published historic US Vag map files. Depends how old the car is.
Yes, I do have a vag card bougt from internet.. but not sure what map was there before.. I bought cupra without SD card unfortunately, its european car.. I have equipment nr. EQA035874/hardware H41/ software 0479/ navi database N/A and media codec 4101.0.0.0. thats what I can read from the system, is it helpfull?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
The link still works fine for me, you may need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window to work as I noticed that just clicking the link doesn't work for me.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Yes, I do have a vag card bougt from internet.. but not sure what map was there before.. I bought cupra without SD card unfortunately, its european car.. I have equipment nr. EQA035874/hardware H41/ software 0479/ navi database N/A and media codec 4101.0.0.0. thats what I can read from the system, is it helpfull?
Thats a mib2 standard which is fine.

I didnt dwell on the bit where you said the link didn't work. I'll go with the one above. Using my tablet so didn't want to trigger it off.

Are you really in the U.S.?.

If you get the map file loaded into the card unzipped and it works then if you scan across the Atlantic you will find the European map. Then we have to go into the hybrid thing of copying the American map file into region 00 if you are indeed in the States and want the US map.... hmmm saving this VAG pulled out of America so there aren't any US maps in SD card format released now. They were never put on servers at the time. South America yes. ... or are you just using an American IP address. Where I've dealt with Americans before is where they are bringing their old American Golf7s back to Europe. Probably service folk, not sure. If you are really looking for North American maps in mib2 format they aren't released. They had their LHD American Golf shipped to France and wanted the European maps on it. IP address may be red herring.

For outside Europe any of the ROW MRM maps can be used from here but you first get the European map working then you slot the outside Europe zone into 00 following the "Overview" tab instructions

This text:

Got a car with a working installed map but outside of the region - need to get local map working ? (Mib2 Standard only)

Example taking a car to Morocco. Exporting a US VW to France. Exporting a European car to Palestine. Emigrated with your mib2 car from Europe to Australia.

The T6forum perfected some of this but joint working across the boards got it going for more modern units. Guy in Palestine sorted that out for latest VWs which were the problem.

Arona standard Mib2 is happy with the original T6forum method with the workaround above.

Advanced method with example with Israel as the map (text taken from a VW user):

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/how...-in-non-eu-countries-e-g-morocco.10331/page-2

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

3. Erase everything on the card, (Before making a backup of what's on it).

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

Basically 7. is the Exciter workaround

8 and 9 are the two additional steps that some VAG heads required to make it work on out of zone maps. Was fine for the Arona, step 1- 7 was sufficient and only presenting the target country in 00 directory not editing and leaving the rest as is. Suspect the wifi standard heads of Seat would need steps 8 and 9.

Had maps of Morocco and Israel on a European Arona unit.

The method with steps 8 and 9 was used on the VW car brought to France from North America and the car that was exported to Palestine from Europe. For the US car the country code is 01 so 00 content is renamed to 01.

----

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022
Sorry for the newbie question here. I bought a 2019 Arona (not the FR) and want to update the maps. I'm in Portugal. I started reading the threads and quickly got lost.

Which of the links above do I use?
Do I need to reuse the factory SD card or can I install a different one I have?

Any newbie tips for getting this right without screwing things up?
Thanks in advance.

Tell

Staff member
Sorry for the newbie question here. I bought a 2019 Arona (not the FR) and want to update the maps. I'm in Portugal. I started reading the threads and quickly got lost.

Which of the links above do I use?
Do I need to reuse the factory SD card or can I install a different one I have?

Any newbie tips for getting this right without screwing things up?
Thanks in advance.
There is a resource that brings it together... read from updating a standard mib2

The link to the latest maps are there. I'm assuming you have the standard mib2 with map card. Take a copy of the map card first and then delete the contents. You need one file from that, the overall.nds file why you take a copy and so you can revert back if issues.

You download the latest map from the link. Unzip, copy across to the SD card. Then replace the "new" overall.nds file with the "old". Put in the unit and it will work.

There are issues if using a Mac you need to use CleanMyDrive on the SD once copied. Don't reformat the card just delete what is on it. Suppose to use 7zip to unzip the files, but if using Windows 10 or 11 the built in right click, drag and drop will work fine.

Just follow that link above. You can stop reading it where you get to lost and missing SD cards since you have one. The unit runs off the map card. These VAG cards are manufactured with a CID code written onto them to flag up as a valid map card. Hence you can't use a standard SD card unless it's modded firmware but little point. Replacement cards can be bought off e-bay. If you require all of Europe on one card you will require the 32gb Seat / Skoda / VW cards. The cards and map files are interchangeable but the Seat units are tethered to the release of the card first put in the unit, hence you take a copy of that overall.nds file and you are good. That's your key.

Dec 30, 2022
There is a resource that brings it together... read from updating a standard mib2

The link to the latest maps are there. I'm assuming you have the standard mib2 with map card. Take a copy of the map card first and then delete the contents. You need one file from that, the overall.nds file why you take a copy and so you can revert back if issues.

You download the latest map from the link. Unzip, copy across to the SD card. Then replace the "new" overall.nds file with the "old". Put in the unit and it will work.

There are issues if using a Mac you need to use CleanMyDrive on the SD once copied. Don't reformat the card just delete what is on it. Suppose to use 7zip to unzip the files, but if using Windows 10 or 11 the built in right click, drag and drop will work fine.

Just follow that link above. You can stop reading it where you get to lost and missing SD cards since you have one. The unit runs off the map card. These VAG cards are manufactured with a CID code written onto them to flag up as a valid map card. Hence you can't use a standard SD card unless it's modded firmware but little point. Replacement cards can be bought off e-bay. If you require all of Europe on one card you will require the 32gb Seat / Skoda / VW cards. The cards and map files are interchangeable but the Seat units are tethered to the release of the card first put in the unit, hence you take a copy of that overall.nds file and you are good. That's your key.
Thanks. I am using a Mac. I think I understand. I'll create a backup and give it a go. I do want to get all of Europe since we will be driving to France, Spain, etc. I appreciate your help.

Tell

Staff member
Thanks. I am using a Mac. I think I understand. I'll create a backup and give it a go. I do want to get all of Europe since we will be driving to France, Spain, etc. I appreciate your help.
Then you'll need to buy one of the 32gb card. The overall.nds file you use with that. Update with one of those regions whilst waiting to get the card. The eBay ones you just have to select on the sellers ratings.

Tell

Staff member
Is the link broken? Getting a 404 even with the downloader:

if anyone has the overall.nds from that file, that would be great
Suspect it might be reorganized out by Skoda.

In zip form the overall.nds file is attached. You need to unzip then it goes in as step 9.

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation
If using a Mac best to use Keka and CleanMyDrive. 7zip if using a PC.

NOTE. A conversation with Falcon93 beyond this post where I'd posted up the wrong copy I had. I ammended it and this one is the year dot as far as Seat is concerned of the Overall.nds file that "fixes" all releases and the solution worked.

Attachments

• OVERALL.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon93
Apr 9, 2023

In zip form the overall.nds file is attached. You need to unzip then it goes in as step 9.

Steps:

7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
Thank you :)

Apr 9, 2023

Steps:

Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card

The original in this case, is the overall.nds you've uploaded right? I've downloaded the newest map from SEAT (EU_AS_STD_2010), formatted, placed newest map on original SEAT card and replaced the OVERALL.nds file. But car still gives Navigation not available.

Tell

Staff member
Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card

The original in this case, is the overall.nds you've uploaded right? I've downloaded the newest map from SEAT (EU_AS_STD_2010), formatted, placed newest map on original SEAT card and replaced the OVERALL.nds file. But car still gives Navigation not available.
There did appear to be one release where the workaround trick didn't work in that case you try with the complete old release. The infotainment unit pairs with that. Then update. Obvious issue here is the original release has vanished from the servers.

The other fix when this happened was to go back to just beyond the release on the card. You read the serial release then hunt that down. This is all around this one particular release where the overall.nds file got messed up. Only happened to a few people. Think it was around 2018. On the thread when we had this issue.

Reactions: Falcon93

Tell

Staff member
OK try the one I've just put back in the post above.

I might have had a drink when I gave you that one. That was the 2018 1030 one. I'd read my directory as "Original..." original to our car but not the original. That is now the original... I picked up the wrong directory... all fallible. Dated 2015. So if yours was some time up to 1030 but not 1030 then that would be why it didn't work. Failing that it's the wrinkle.

Try that...

Reactions: Walone and Falcon93
Apr 9, 2023
OK try the one I've just put back in the post above.

I might have had a drink when I gave you that one. That was the 2018 1030 one. I'd read my directory as "Original..." original to our car but not the original. That is now the original... I picked up the wrong directory... all fallible. Dated 2015. So if yours was some time up to 1030 but not 1030 then that would be why it didn't work. Failing that it's the wrinkle.

Try that...

yes, that one works :) thank you