Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
As we limber up to the November 2017 round of map updates I found a useful post in German that details the three streams of VAG updates and which applies to which. Often the map update comes out on a different brand before it's on Seat or you may need to go back to a previous copy you don't have or what's been put up isn't updated etc.

The useful post is this.

https://plus.google.com/104513383734549855736/posts/1uX2zCzT48q

• SEAT Navi System 5F0 (up to MJ 2015, up to BJ 21KW 2015) <-> VW Discover Media Generation 1 (MIB1Std) <-> Skoda Amundsen MIB1
  • SEAT Navi System 6P0 (from MJ 2016, starting at BJ 22.KW 2015) <-> VW Discover Media Generation 2 (MIB2Std) <-> Skoda Amundsen MIB2
  • SEAT Navi SystemPlus <-> VW Discover Pro (MIB1 / MIB2High) <-> Skoda Columbus

For the people with the maps held on SD card the all important 5F0 and 6P0 is the one that takes you to the model range (5F0 = MIB1, 6P0 = MIB2) as Seat say on the page, they fail to mention you can use another VAG download site which has the same identical file. The SSD based systems whether MIB1 or MIB2 share the same download file.

The historic and pre release VW ones can generally be found on the VW download servers if you know the address or google the key descriptors. So far the SSD version ECE 2018 for MIB 1 & 2 hasn't arrived yet. Too early.

Tell

Staff member
From here

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...nName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&HideCrumb=true

In the first line, three characters for the standard Navigation system.

The highlighted figures in that screen are old and haven't been updated even for the 2017/18 update. The downloads are correct thou in terms of what's currently available (2017/18) not the November 2017 release which will be called 2018. Thats P67, 820, P161 leading characters for each of the three navigation download type files the menus instigate. That will change in November or if not you grab the file from another VAG brand website on the mapping table above or if you screw up the old file off the VAG database. Mainly if you are doing a work around, never backed up the SD card or were playing with the Plus update where you dont have a card and messed up. For normal Mapcare updates, if you have it, you don't need to backup.

shiretzicu

Sep 26, 2017
I followed your intructions and managed to make the 820 version work on my Ateca. The thing I just realized is that the OVERALL.NDS file practically checks if your car is older than the navigation data. If it is it would simply not work if you don't have MAPCARE.

Tell

Staff member
Original card is locked to the headend via the extended hidden partition of the SD card that a normal reformat doesn't touch, whilst overall.nds original file is also locked as well without mapcare. I think its a fluke that preserving the original file works but it does. The top level directory map index of that file is the same between versions whilst the other element of the content which links to the headend and the hidden partition still does, since it's copied across. That's basically what happens. Credit goes to those two people who analysed it about a year ago.

All of that is only MIB2 SD card based units. The MIB1 SD unit based systems people were introducing replacements cards themselves but I think the success of that may have fizzled out of recent and was problematic in any case. The SSD systems certain aspects can be updated but not the road maps.

Seat in the UK remain the only VAG range that still enforces Mapcare license, VW and Skoda have abandoned it giving free user upgrades through the website where these downloads originate from. Crazy situation where in Europe you can pay 120 Euros or so as a one off payment for unlimited map upgrades and in the UK this isn't offered so you have built in obsolescence the moment you buy the car or extremely high garage upgrade costs.

Last edited:

Mypifi

Oct 16, 2017
Can someone help? My card details for a 2017 Leon fr are as follows:

6p0919866m 0730 ece1 2017 shield:shield 2016-03 (build 020)

Is this latest version as it seems to be rather older than what was in my 2014 SC which had a roundabout and correct speed limit on a nearby road that the above one doesn't have.

Many thanks in advance.

Tell

Staff member
No that's the previous one to the June 2017 release for the SD version. You are looking for 0820 instead of 0730 in that code for the current versions. Yours would have been released in November 2016. Next month there should be the next release, don't know the code of that but will have 2018 in as the year in that strip. The year code reflects the next period a couple of months ahead but build is six months or so before for testing etc.

Mypifi

Oct 16, 2017
Many thanks. The dealer did say today that my update ran out in May 2017 now it makes sense.

Mypifi

Oct 16, 2017
Just collected my correct sat nav card from seat, as version 5 with update to 830

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Just gone through nearly all this thread and still have no clue. Has anyone successfully updated a 5FO nav unit please? I am currently on v4 according to my SD card.

Portlanders

May 14, 2016
Updated mine yesterday, and although the update was stated as 0730, once installed it showed as 0820 so perhaps update already here.

5k2jrd.jpg

Last edited:

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Spoke to dealer today, he said I should be able to do it online.

Spoke to Seat CS and he said there is a year map updates on the car, I guess that came with the years warranty, but he will come back to me in 24-48 hours with a complete answer as I do not want to mess up my SD card

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Spoke to dealer today, he said I should be able to do it online.

Spoke to Seat CS and he said there is a year map updates on the car, I guess that came with the years warranty, but he will come back to me in 24-48 hours with a complete answer as I do not want to mess up my SD card
A dealer told me I should be able to do it over the internet on my 2013 car. It didn't work as it never had map care. In my experience some dealers don't know their arse from their elbow

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
A dealer told me I should be able to do it over the internet on my 2013 car. It didn't work as it never had map care. In my experience some dealers don't know their arse from their elbow

Agreed, it's why I called CS.

I take it putting the backup back on your SD card was fine and worked as before?

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Agreed, it's why I called CS.

I take it putting the backup back on your SD card was fine and worked as before?
Yes it did mate. I will be interested to hear how you get on with CS, what year is your car?

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Yes it did mate. I will be interested to hear how you get on with CS, what year is your car?

2014, 63 plate. Only had it a week, and CS mentioned the year updates. Would make sense seeing as it has the Seat warranty. We shall see what he comes back with. May well try it tonight and see what happens

Gappa

Nov 6, 2017
I would like to update my MIB2 system free too. I red a lot of manuals about it but it looks as very complicated by me. So I decided to try create functional duplicate of original SD card as the first stage.
1. I was successful - if you write original CID number to new card you will can create working duplicate of navigation SD card. So problem is obtain proper SD card with possibility of change CID number only.
2. Now I would like to move to stage 2 and to do update for new data but I haven't got enough information. Do you know any details about it how does the update procedure work with original new SD card on system without mapcare service? I mean - when I buy new data SD card - can I can simply put it in reader and system will do update or there is necessary any official dealer assistance? To find out something usefull from my local seat dealers is for nothing because they have absolutely no idea what I asking for.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
My understanding is yours is ok to update. Go to the update page, download the files and follow the instructions. The guys above have the same stereo as you

CharlieRWalker

Nov 6, 2017
Hi Guys

I've read through this post.

I have the 5FO system, albeit, I'm not sure of the version right now.

Could someone copy and paste the instructions for this system. I've read the entire post and remember reading the work-around which had 4 steps, however, I cannot remember what page this was on and don't fancy going back through 36 pages and 700 posts to find it!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.