Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
You were able to update your navi once with OBD11?

No I have the Mib2 High and my messing behind the scenes in the developers menu by editing the upload file caused an SVM. That I corrected.

Then a year latter I decided to have another go being persistant. Whilst in June or July 2017 I documented how you could update everything other than the Navdb directory. The upload file is signed so you cant edit that. Next attempt was to edit the contents of the uploaded file. These are signed as well with an "ECU signature". You can read and edit these with a Hex editor. Again the same level of security. Whilst the upload file you can check how the signature works with the public keys available I didn't check how which elements the ECU signature used but it's going to be similar. I wondered whether you could adjust some parts of that to make it look like what was installed. I got new error messages up and it's those that triggered an SVM this time round.

Answer to that no, it's all nicely locked down. Mib1 and Mib2 for the Navigation Plus are similar why they use the same upload files. Some Mib1 units were enabled for several sets of maps. I know Mib2 years you can load up historic years, go forwards and you get locked out till you reinstall the release the unit came with or before.

Wallone who posts up here had his unit turned into a retrofit. Going down that route now although concerning that alot of settings are held in the 5F unit including Top View calibration. If they get wiped out alot of data to re enter by hand. Obdeleven doesnt have a restore function so whilst you need to backup the 5F unit if you embark on this route just in case the guys doing it dont back up and restore the contents if they get deleted in the process. It's a high risk route.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Can I add speed camera warning to my system? All I know is I have a 2016 normal media so no DVD but is the bigger screen with Full link, I can use waz but is it possible to add it to my standard set up ?

Tell

Staff member
Can I add speed camera warning to my system? All I know is I have a 2016 normal media so no DVD but is the bigger screen with Full link, I can use waz but is it possible to add it to my standard set up ?

It's got to have built in nav to use the ones I covered in here. Yours doesn't I reckon. For info for people that do following the debacle of VW POI upload site.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

The speed camera database people also have their own apps that people use e.g. pocket GPS World etc. Probably what you want if you don't want to use the Waz ones.

kickdown

Oct 5, 2018
Sofia, Bulgaria
No I have the Mib2 High and my messing behind the scenes in the developers menu by editing the upload file caused an SVM. That I corrected.

Then a year latter I decided to have another go being persistant. Whilst in June or July 2017 I documented how you could update everything other than the Navdb directory. The upload file is signed so you cant edit that. Next attempt was to edit the contents of the uploaded file. These are signed as well with an "ECU signature". You can read and edit these with a Hex editor. Again the same level of security. Whilst the upload file you can check how the signature works with the public keys available I didn't check how which elements the ECU signature used but it's going to be similar. I wondered whether you could adjust some parts of that to make it look like what was installed. I got new error messages up and it's those that triggered an SVM this time round.

Answer to that no, it's all nicely locked down. Mib1 and Mib2 for the Navigation Plus are similar why they use the same upload files. Some Mib1 units were enabled for several sets of maps. I know Mib2 years you can load up historic years, go forwards and you get locked out till you reinstall the release the unit came with or before.

Wallone who posts up here had his unit turned into a retrofit. Going down that route now although concerning that alot of settings are held in the 5F unit including Top View calibration. If they get wiped out alot of data to re enter by hand. Obdeleven doesnt have a restore function so whilst you need to backup the 5F unit if you embark on this route just in case the guys doing it dont back up and restore the contents if they get deleted in the process. It's a high risk route.

Too much risk and fiddle. We are going to wait for another breakthrough...

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
It's got to have built in nav to use the ones I covered in here. Yours doesn't I reckon. For info for people that do following the debacle of VW POI upload site.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

The speed camera database people also have their own apps that people use e.g. pocket GPS World etc. Probably what you want if you don't want to use the Waz ones.

Mine has factory built in 3d nav and 8" screen with Apple and Android link ?

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
I was thinking about updating my maps but with having CarPlay is it worth the hassle I’m wondering

Tell

Staff member
Mine has factory built in 3d nav and 8" screen with Apple and Android link ?
Then it is the link if you want to upload speed cameras and your own Poi's. I find the latter very useful since it makes the sat nav look like a regular one with your saved destinations shown on the map. It's also a good way to get accurate map coordinates in.

Tell

Staff member
Too much risk and fiddle. We are going to wait for another breakthrough...

There won't be one unless someone gives out the private key. Retrofit ones are reprogrammed by linking them to a PC.

The standard Mib2 work around was more an accident since it cant be locked down so well and that file which is copied across would have been an oversight by those concerned. Since Mib2 High has access locked down via encryption to stop you changing the upload script and also the contents of the upload file once the script is run your a bit snookered... I reckon unless it's reprogrammed from the back or the SD card method they used in America and Australia where there were issues on Mapcare rollout. Reckon they still used ODIS.

Stupid situation where elsewhere in Europe you can get the car with Mapcare for a one off of £120 or so. Seat UK have been happy to pass them on with built in obsolescence. The other VAG brands sold in the UK come with Mapcare built in. It isn't unbundled as a cost.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Don't want to rub salt on your wounds, but here in Finland it is the case - one time fee to enable map care.
...but, really, TBH, don't we all agree the navigation on this car is rubbish?
Even though I have it, I think I used it only once.
The Android Auto and Carplay options are vastly superior, so why bother?
...ok, offline navigation, but Carplay now supports 3rd party, so there is already Sygic and TomTom os coming too.
There are rumours that Android Auto will open to 3rd party also.

Tell

Staff member
Yes but Sygic and TomTom use Here Maps so still the same Maps.

Google I find isn't precise enough. Their POI destinations aren't set exactly where you want to go like the car park. Here Maps uses a POI marker plus a destination routing point. If you don't trust that just enter the coordinates so you arrive dead on where you want to be.

Reactions: Jaco2k

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Then it is the link if you want to upload speed cameras and your own Poi's. I find the latter very useful since it makes the sat nav look like a regular one with your saved destinations shown on the map. It's also a good way to get accurate map coordinates in.

Ok thanks and is it easy and how would I go about it ? Sorry I'm.not the best with this kind of stuff.

Tell

Staff member
The stupid think is all other VAG group cars bundle Mapcare in, it isn't sold separately, least at new. Skoda says it's for life. VW 5 years or something.

Seat unbundled it as a cost for new cars but don't offer it in the UK, Ireland yes. Most of Europe, yes. Clearly if you can buy it and keeping the car you should at circa £125. Seat needs to get in step with the rest of the Vag group and bundle it in.

Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
You know the season of new Mib2 Standard and Mib1 / 2 High maps is on us :). We're looking for ECE 2019. They lay about on servers ready to be given their official link. Can't see them yet thou. November each year and June.
That's what I'm waiting for.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.