Tell

Upgrading Outstanding External Bulbs to LED (Ateca 2016-2019)

Tell

Staff member
Whilst the 2016 Ateca Xcellence was called "Full LED" it wasn't as full LED as it could have been. The 2018 Ateca full added front fogs lights to "full" LED.... rear bulbs thou continue to be filament for 2016-2019 Ateca in the area of indicators, reversing lights (two) and fog light. 2020 Ateca does indeed bring "Full LED" to the front and back.

Candidate external bulbs for changing in 2016 - 2019 Ateca including the Xcellence / FR etc are the reversing lights, the rear indicators and fogs. Others models and years different candidates. How to get in remains the same where filament based.

The pages from the manual provide fitting details and bulb types:

FXEZMsb.png

JVBJ4mT.png

1r33be3.png

See also

Reversing light replacement:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ing-lights-with-led-flashwolves-mtech.438101/

Rear indicators:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/changing-the-rear-indicators-to-led.439658/

Front fog:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/front-fog-lights-to-led-pre-2018-atecas.440174/

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I think they are LED already. Pretty difficult things to get at if they aren't. The garage guy broke my mirror trying to get at the mirror heater connection behind it, explaining winter and summer probabilities in unclipping the mirror glass without breaking it.... I passed when he said do you want to swap out the glass yourself when the replacement comes in.

Think it revolves around the launch definition of "full LED" the Xcellence had that apart from fog at the front, rear indicators, reversing etc and had LED in the wing mirrors. Lesser models might have had bulbs in there ;). Never went to town on how to upgrade that unit. Just peeved that it wasn't as full LED as it should have been.

Reactions: Mihai A.

Mihai A.

Apr 24, 2020
antoce.me
I think they are LED already. Pretty difficult things to get at if they aren't. The garage guy broke my mirror trying to get at the mirror heater connection behind it, explaining winter and summer probabilities in unclipping the mirror glass without breaking it.... I passed when he said do you want to swap out the glass yourself when the replacement comes in.

Think it revolves around the launch definition of "full LED" the Xcellence had that apart from fog at the front, rear indicators, reversing etc and had LED in the wing mirrors. Lesser models might have had bulbs in there ;). Never went to town on how to upgrade that unit. Just peeved that it wasn't as full LED as it should have been.

You might be right and this could very well be LED. The replacement here will just be a "flowing light" similar to the Audi ones. It's the only other light which you can upgrade, it doesn't really belong anywhere.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
where can you get these from ?

Aliexpress... also ebay. I did a Google of the name in the picture, Jogon. Suspect tricky to fit. After my dealer broke my mirror glass sorting out the issue of the heated mirror element not being clipped in all the way. The guy said you have a 50:50 chance of braking the mirror glass when removing it... I'd be carefully if that's part of the procedure / bank on changing the glass as well.

Brighton Mike

Mar 26, 2016
Brighton
Hi all,

I've just fitted these to our two Leons the other week. Very nice upgrade and really easy too. They took ten days to arrive and both sets came with a torx and pry tool but if you do order them get one (or two) of the various complete sets of pry tools on offer as it will make life much easier.

I agree its a bit daunting removing the mirror glass at first but keep the faith - all of them popped out without any issue using two plastic pry tools, just be as gentle as you can - and then you have access to the internal locking tabs. I had my window wound down and draped a microfibre under the indicator so the mirror glass didn't damage the paintwork as it came out.

As for removing the painted mirror cover, the internal locking tabs are quite flexible but as with all things take it easy with minimum force. There's a You Tube video where someone appears to just wriggle the cover off but with the tabs locked correctly this isn't possible so don't try it, it just wont happen. You need to press in the two top internal locking tabs with a long screwdriver or similar while wiggling and pulling the mirror cover at the same time. I inserted two pry tools along the top of the casing to effect some leverage and this helped a lot. There are also two internal tabs at the bottom but these will just pop out although again a pry tool inserted from the back of the mirror cover where the painted part ends helped here. Then its three screws and unplug the electrical connector and do the same in reverse with the new one.

One final thing, I found that if you do up the screws too tightly when fitting the indicator it deforms the curve of the indicator just enough so that when replacing the case it doesn't snap back in place exactly where it should. So offer it up before snapping everything back just to be sure otherwise you'll be removing that mirror one more time...

I know its a bit early to tell but so far so good and the little double racing flash on the indictors when the car is locked is a nice bonus.

I bought mine with a discount voucher on the mobile site and they came in at under £40 delivered for both sets. Having just had a look to find the link for you if you're interested it seems there is/will be another voucher shortly https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890870746.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62cd4c4dfYpaT1 and I hope its o.k. to post this without breaking any new rules ?

Apologies for not taking pictures during fitting. I did consider it but there seemed to be lots on this topic already so it seemed a bit redundant. I'll try and do better next time. Anyway, hope this helps someone ?

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for the handy detailed instructions. I got put off touching the mirror glass after the service guy explained the 50:50 probably. Summer is better he said... may be a hair dryer to get the clips to flex in winter. People do change the covers to get the silver, two tone look. Always fun getting things direct from China :love:.

Reactions: Brighton Mike

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
Hi all,

I've just fitted these to our two Leons the other week. Very nice upgrade and really easy too. They took ten days to arrive and both sets came with a torx and pry tool but if you do order them get one (or two) of the various complete sets of pry tools on offer as it will make life much easier.

I agree its a bit daunting removing the mirror glass at first but keep the faith - all of them popped out without any issue using two plastic pry tools, just be as gentle as you can - and then you have access to the internal locking tabs. I had my window wound down and draped a microfibre under the indicator so the mirror glass didn't damage the paintwork as it came out.

As for removing the painted mirror cover, the internal locking tabs are quite flexible but as with all things take it easy with minimum force. There's a You Tube video where someone appears to just wriggle the cover off but with the tabs locked correctly this isn't possible so don't try it, it just wont happen. You need to press in the two top internal locking tabs with a long screwdriver or similar while wiggling and pulling the mirror cover at the same time. I inserted two pry tools along the top of the casing to effect some leverage and this helped a lot. There are also two internal tabs at the bottom but these will just pop out although again a pry tool inserted from the back of the mirror cover where the painted part ends helped here. Then its three screws and unplug the electrical connector and do the same in reverse with the new one.

One final thing, I found that if you do up the screws too tightly when fitting the indicator it deforms the curve of the indicator just enough so that when replacing the case it doesn't snap back in place exactly where it should. So offer it up before snapping everything back just to be sure otherwise you'll be removing that mirror one more time...

I know its a bit early to tell but so far so good and the little double racing flash on the indictors when the car is locked is a nice bonus.

I bought mine with a discount voucher on the mobile site and they came in at under £40 delivered for both sets. Having just had a look to find the link for you if you're interested it seems there is/will be another voucher shortly https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890870746.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62cd4c4dfYpaT1 and I hope its o.k. to post this without breaking any new rules ?

Apologies for not taking pictures during fitting. I did consider it but there seemed to be lots on this topic already so it seemed a bit redundant. I'll try and do better next time. Anyway, hope this helps someone ?

do they have the seat ateca ones ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise