VAG.COM Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)

davidgoodwin180

Jul 26, 2009
www.purbeck.photos.co.uk
hi guys, the other day the car started messing around, when i came to a stop the car wouldnt start and when i did the revs were all over the place.

tonight it did the same but before i turned the car off i noticed that there was hardly any boost and the turbo wasnt spinning up like normal, also when i put my foot down on the gas there was i big hesitation, so i pluged it in to vag.com and it came up with .....

1 Fault Found:

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)

P1297 - 35-00 - -

i have checked for leaks and couldnt see anything, would it be the DV or could it be something els, such as boost controller, wastegate, actuator or turbo unit.

please note i am using the standard DV

thanks for listening david

mattfas

Apr 6, 2009
leeds
dump valve

alright amte check the pipes around your dump valve for splits also check the small pipe coming out the top of your dv if no damage or splits its more than likely the crappy bosch dv wich are prone to faults upgrade your dv to a forge 007p or a forge split r

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Check the throttle body. It may be sticking.
Try a throttle body re-alignment adaption with vagcom. Do a search for the channel number.

Jul 8, 2007
The standerd BOV/DV are prone for failing, am sure other members will agree and of course it means you can upgrade to the forge 007p :D

Lee M

Standard valves are prone to failure as said above. I only got 20k out of mine before it needed changing.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
For that error I had a boost leak and was a hole in the the map sensor tube. Needed a smoke machine tester to find the leak. Try a dv swap out first, worth it anyway to get rid of the OE Bosch.

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
Check your breather pipes, specifically the ones under the inlet manifold and the one on top of the engine under the cover. Check around the DV too.

I did a lot of stuff at same time to clear mine.

However, wifes cupra had that error, did the N249 bypass and its not come back :)

davidgoodwin180

Jul 26, 2009
www.purbeck.photos.co.uk
Hi there what is the N249, i dont understand the codes that are used with these engines, but i do am familiar with unit names, such as boost controller, erg valve.

not trying to be rude but i am new to vag engines and have always had jap performance cars.

somthing els i didnt mention is that the Secondary air injection pump (i think) is cutting in after the initial time it works, e.g 10 min after it has turned off the first time.

thanks David

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Check your breather pipes, specifically the ones under the inlet manifold and the one on top of the engine under the cover. Check around the DV too.

I did a lot of stuff at same time to clear mine.

However, wifes cupra had that error, did the N249 bypass and its not come back :)

What he says .... ;)

My Cupra had same error... was the pipe under manifold split ...

davidgoodwin180

Jul 26, 2009
www.purbeck.photos.co.uk
are we talking about the pipes that are to and from the n249 thing under the front plastic cover.

i have just been out there armed the a squirty bottle of soap and couldnt see anything.

last night when i managed to get it started again the engine was very throughty, almost like there was an induction kit fitted, could this be the DV staying OPEN or could it be the n249 keeping the dv OPEN.

thanks david

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
No - that error does not have to specifically mean the N249 or the DV - unfortunately. As said it can also be cause by breather pipes.

Theres one on the top of your engine under the cover, front right as you look at the engine from the front.

There is also a very common failure of the breather pipe right under the inlet manifold. You really need to unbolt the little bracket that holds the dipstick in place to get at it. Runs from the left hand side of the inlet along parallel and then down into a 3 way T-piece sort of thing!! These pipes all have one use jubilee clips which are an **** to remove, you will need new jubilee clips of equivalent size to replace the hoses....

Best thing to do first is bypass the N249 so the dv only dumps boost when the vacuum tells it to, not when the ECU tells it to. Quite simple get some 4mm hose and 4mm t piece.

* Disconnet the vac hose from the inlet manifold underneath on the right hand side that runs to the FPR.
* Stick one end of the 4mm hose on this nipple on the manifold and cable tie.
* T in the FPR pipe and cabletie.
* Run from the T to the connection on top of the DV (removing the fat pipe there thats connected) and plug in the 4mm hose and cabletie.
* Bung up the hose you disconnected from the DV and job done. (Do not disconnect or remove the N249 this will give an error unless you put a resistor in - search on this discussed at length!)
* Clear all error codes.
* Drive around a day or 2 and see if it comes back
* If it comes back you have a leaky hose elsewhere and could well be one of the breather pipes mentioned

Good luck :)

Last edited:

davidgoodwin180

Jul 26, 2009
www.purbeck.photos.co.uk
hi guys, i have just ran Vag.com on my car and it is coming back with

Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Open Circuit.

the engine management light has come on and the car is running how ever it wants on it own.

can anybody tell me what this means and what can i do about it.

thanks David

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members