Vag-com useful options? i.e. remote windows/alarm beep when locking...

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
I've been reading over the Vag-com section for a while now...decided to purchase a cable just to check fault codes in the future. Im not looking to do nothing fancy. But i also wondered...

What are you people changing via cag-com which you've found useful?

I have a mk3 Ibiza Cupra, and have read that i cannot enable remote-windows, but what other things are possible which are similiar to this?
i.e. alarm beep/tone when locking the car?

I will be downloading the free shareware version, so i know my options are some what limited.

Thanks.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
logging is the most useful thing & diagnosing anything really

none of the little tricks work on the Mk3 as it's convenience module isn't very 'convenient'

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Logging you actual against specified torque is quite interesting. You can then calculate horsepower from it and do a graph. There is a template on the Ross-Tech site.

I found that quite accurate on 2 cars.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I've been reading over the Vag-com section for a while now...decided to purchase a cable just to check fault codes in the future. Im not looking to do nothing fancy. But i also wondered...

What are you people changing via cag-com which you've found useful?

I have a mk3 Ibiza Cupra, and have read that i cannot enable remote-windows, but what other things are possible which are similiar to this?
i.e. alarm beep/tone when locking the car?

I will be downloading the free shareware version, so i know my options are some what limited.

Thanks.

Ive had this done to mines follwed by the auto lock system. You need the full version of vag.

You cannot do the auto windows via vag as its not supported, it can only be done in Dos and a serail cable interface. Or you can buy this dvice that plugs into you obd port and programs it for you.
if you want the beep done give me a shout as you not far from me. takes a min 2do.

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
Thanks mate!! Theres so may diff threads on here, some say you can do it, some say you cant!!

My OBD cable arrive today, so just trying to get it working. It come with a disk but i don''t think i've got the right driver. Its the USB type cable, and is named 'KKL USB 409.1' when i view it in my computer.

Don't suppose you know how i can get the correct driver do you?
I've downloaded various drvires, and extracted htem with WinRar, but thenwhat do i do?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Thanks mate!! Theres so may diff threads on here, some say you can do it, some say you cant!!

My OBD cable arrive today, so just trying to get it working. It come with a disk but i don''t think i've got the right driver. Its the USB type cable, and is named 'KKL USB 409.1' when i view it in my computer.

Don't suppose you know how i can get the correct driver do you?
I've downloaded various drvires, and extracted htem with WinRar, but thenwhat do i do?

when you downloaded the drivers and extracted them to a folder.

then when you plug in ur usb cable. it will then promt to install the cable and ask for the location where the drivers are. you select the folder where you extracted them. then press next.

If installed correctly. the device should be displayed in the device manager.

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
oki i tried everything!!! Patience wearing thin now!!

It came with a mini disc, on which theres VAg-Com 409-1 software and another file which i assume is the driver. ive installed the driver and it says it installes ok, i get a flash up icon in the corner saying its ready to use.

but when i go into vag-com, it tells me to do the options settings first, i click 'test' to check its all fuctioning and i get a pop up message saying 'port: ok, interface: not connected/not found'.

ive tried doing the text thing on all 4 ports, and the USB. It says ports 1 & 2 are dont exist, but i get the other error message on port 3 and the same on the USB.

Is there any easy way of knowing which driver i need???

I know what your thinking....'another tw*t whose tried to save on the cost and looks to have been provided with the wrong driver!!!'

lol.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
when windows install the drivers, its also creates a simulator serail port and assign a port number for it.
Vag.com has only the option to select port 1 to 4.

You would need to change the serial port to either 1,2,3,4. THis can be done in the device manager

you then selct the port you have assigned in device manager in vag.com as well

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
its plugged into your car and ignition on? (you may need to pull radio fuse too)

I've had it connected to the OBD port in my car - 2001 Ibiza Cupra,

with ignition on and off, radio on, radio fuse moved, still get same pop up warnings.

Im thinking its something to do with the driver.

Big Lad: how do i access my device manager?
Is there any easier way to work out if i have the right driver?

Really appreciate all this advice and help from both of you!!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you should be able to get the cable to 'work' without sitting in the car, and you need to pull no fuses.

so sit in the warm & do it

device manager...

My Computer > Control Panel > (switch to classic view) > System, then hardware tab, then device manager

drop down to the Ports (COM & LPT) - and you should see which port is connected to the cable in there

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
If you have trouble! just pop down. this does seem confusing over the forum! as i had this problem before, but simple. you just need to a bit of whiz espicaly on machines

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
oki i give up!!! Vag.com wins!!!

I can see what your all getting at and it makes sense, its trying to read from port 6/7 (depending on which usb i plug into) but vag.com only allows ports 1/2/3/4 or USB.

I haven't a clue how to change the port names so its time to walk away before i get really annoyed with it!!!

Where about are you located anyway Big Lad? Not seen you on the forum before? I live in Yardley.

Thanks everyone!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.