VW TDi Emissions software scandal

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hilarious calling people whinging B'stards.
Isn't it just? One always likes to entertain the peasa...er.. people. Like beef dripping. Its funny, but serious at the same time. Especially on toast. Serious, that is, not funny. You can munch on it whilst calculating mpg or nox or co² or whatever else floats yer boat. Me? I prefer burning unleaded and warming up the planet. Oh and folding my toast into a sandwich.

I thought so :D but not as amusing as your sig.... I mean cmon 59.6 avg mpg, if the only thing worth mentioning is its fuel costs you're hardly enjoying the drive? I bet you're fun to get stuck behind.....

Why didnt you buy a Prius?
Or a Leaf. With a long extension lead.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Not sure that is true any more - NASA now claim the polar caps are increasing in ice mass each year rather than the "GREEN" claim that they are decreasing.

YAY! :D so that means, by using the Leon more, I am actually helping Johnny Polar bear extend his estate? Cool! (Literally!) Now I know why he never answered my letters apologising for melting his house. It wasn't, so I'd confused the poor blighter! and, by the same token, if the ice is growing, then there is more work for the Ice Road Truckists. Win win I'd say. Do you think they worry about nox, co² and mpg figures? The truckists I mean, not Johnnie Polar bear. All they mention in the show is 'dash for cash' and 'amount of loads done' :confused:
Perhaps they worry about it off camera.
But, more importantly, what of my soot chucker Passat? If I use that ( and its been confirmed as a naughty cheating one) am I going to transport us back to the Victorian ages? Dark, satanic mills on every corner, children being forced up chimneys , beggars, footpads and other ne'er do wells on every street? Hawkers selling their wares door to door, coal men, cobblestones etc? Could even see the return of horse drawn transport.... how green and recyclable are they? Fuel - sustainable organic matter. Emissions- good for the roses. End of life use - excellent, horse hair mats , leather shoes, glue, steaks, the list is endless. Why has this not been thought of before?
I need a lie down.....

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
YAY! :D so that means, by using the Leon more, I am actually helping Johnny Polar bear extend his estate? Cool! (Literally!) Now I know why he never answered my letters apologising for melting his house. It wasn't, so I'd confused the poor blighter! and, by the same token, if the ice is growing, then there is more work for the Ice Road Truckists. Win win I'd say. Do you think they worry about nox, co² and mpg figures? The truckists I mean, not Johnnie Polar bear. All they mention in the show is 'dash for cash' and 'amount of loads done' :confused:
Perhaps they worry about it off camera.
But, more importantly, what of my soot chucker Passat? If I use that ( and its been confirmed as a naughty cheating one) am I going to transport us back to the Victorian ages? Dark, satanic mills on every corner, children being forced up chimneys , beggars, footpads and other ne'er do wells on every street? Hawkers selling their wares door to door, coal men, cobblestones etc? Could even see the return of horse drawn transport.... how green and recyclable are they? Fuel - sustainable organic matter. Emissions- good for the roses. End of life use - excellent, horse hair mats , leather shoes, glue, steaks, the list is endless. Why has this not been thought of before?
I need a lie down.....

Ha Ha. You're growing on me fella!

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
What, like a wart? :rofl:

Ha! Yeah, just like that!

Listen, I apologise for my previous comments. I just felt it a bit tight on folk who will be genuinely concerned about this whole thing being given a bit of stick that's all.

Me? Well I drive a SEAT Toledo Diesel so as previously pointed out, no I don't hoon around in it. I have two kids with another due in April so carry a lot a precious cargo, and the wife! With a growing family MPG was a big consideration as the family costs a lot (God I'm old all of a sudden!)!

My view on this whole scandal from a personal point of view? Resale, not concerned. It's a Toledo so worth nowt anyway plus I plan on keeping it. It fits everything I need in plus is cheap to run. No need to get rid anytime soon. Emissions, they are all fudging them and my tax bracket cant change anyway. NO2, as an asthma sufferer (plus both kids having a mild case) I would love it if these were kept down but in reality it's never going to happen.

My only concern is what any modifications will do to the performance of the car. As pointed out, it's a 1.6 diesel. Earth shattering it aint but it gets me from A to B and has enough pull to overtake when needed even full up. If any mods reduce it by say 10% (purely Hypothetical) than it's a very different car than I bought. Imagine your car with 10 less power? You would notice. I guess we just need to wait and see.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Ha! Yeah, just like that!

Listen, I apologise for my previous comments. I just felt it a bit tight on folk who will be genuinely concerned about this whole thing being given a bit of stick that's all.

Me? Well I drive a SEAT Toledo Diesel so as previously pointed out, no I don't hoon around in it. I have two kids with another due in April so carry a lot a precious cargo, and the wife! With a growing family MPG was a big consideration as the family costs a lot (God I'm old all of a sudden!)!

My view on this whole scandal from a personal point of view? Resale, not concerned. It's a Toledo so worth nowt anyway plus I plan on keeping it. It fits everything I need in plus is cheap to run. No need to get rid anytime soon. Emissions, they are all fudging them and my tax bracket cant change anyway. NO2, as an asthma sufferer (plus both kids having a mild case) I would love it if these were kept down but in reality it's never going to happen.

My only concern is what any modifications will do to the performance of the car. As pointed out, it's a 1.6 diesel. Earth shattering it aint but it gets me from A to B and has enough pull to overtake when needed even full up. If any mods reduce it by say 10% (purely Hypothetical) than it's a very different car than I bought. Imagine your car with 10 less power? You would notice. I guess we just need to wait and see.
That's the point really. No one knows what is going to happen. As I was told by someone way cleverer than me " worry about what you can change, not what you can't"
I'm sure it'll work out ok for everyone ( even polar bears) just be a pita for a while. Worse things happen at sea etc.....

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Ha Ha! I like your thinking but you wont be troubling bleeding oil dry anytime soon.

Like This :D

picture.php

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Yes just put it on record as Coronation Street is on ITV at the same time, and thats more important to me.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Yes just put it on record as Coronation Street is on ITV at the same time, and thats more important to me.

I haven't recorded it and I'm trimming my nasal hair ( I have a lot) . I'm sure t'wife has recorded the northern soap ( is that correct, do they have soap oop north? ) so she can watch how 'real'people live. Although they never mention VW emissions scandal. Maybe I should start watching the cockernee one, see if they mention it. After all it is set in the centre of the known universe, Londonshire. And has a river running through it. That may rise and kill King & Queen Pearly, if we don't stop ..... er ..... um .... something.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I was just thinking, if the test was designed correctly in the first place, none of this would have happened.
For instance, they are allowed 60 sec to accelerate to 60 mph, no steering inputs, no headwind.
Totally ridiculous.
Tony

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
Depreciation is a cost of motoring right? Is happily take a few years free servicing and extended warranty to cover the costs

Ok just to resurrect this topic, I have been trying to work out how the depreciation figures have changed since the start of the VW Group emissions scandal and whilst I can't get any figures for Seat I took a couple of sets of figures for the VW Golf GTI 220PS 5door and the Gold Type R 5 door. I used the Whatcar retained value index based on figures published in the magazine from September onwards, both cars showed a respectable 53% retained value right through to the December issue and then surprise surprise the January issue shows a drop to 44% for the GTI and 46% for the Type R. These cars have been known to have some of the best retained values for some time so for them to fall so much god knows what effect its going to have on some of the other cars in the VW Group.:(