Water leak above pedals

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
ive done all this and sealed the fxxk out of every thing and this morn steamed up in side iam getting sick off this car now seat shud do it for free its there fxxk up.iam giving it 1 last go and if it ant sealed this time its going asap.

CupraString

Jul 29, 2008
West Mids
ive done all this and sealed the fxxk out of every thing and this morn steamed up in side iam getting sick off this car now seat shud do it for free its there fxxk up.iam giving it 1 last go and if it ant sealed this time its going asap.

Iv had same problem mate re sealed everything 3 times now and got in this morn and my driverside footwell was frozen solid, so re sealed door again and under scuttle around release cable and fuse box.
Its sat outside now with plastic sheeting over it so ice/rain doesn't get in to ruin sealant.
Im contemplating selling it if I can't solve this...........................

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
Iv had same problem mate re sealed everything 3 times now and got in this morn and my driverside footwell was frozen solid, so re sealed door again and under scuttle around release cable and fuse box.
Its sat outside now with plastic sheeting over it so ice/rain doesn't get in to ruin sealant.
Im contemplating selling it if I can't solve this...........................

not thinking it goin m8 sick off it now last chance this weekend goin to strip it all down and if not its goin asap:(

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Just thought I'd confirm there's been no further water ingress to my LCR since the sealing job I did - to recap - this involved refitting the windscreen weatherseals correctly (strip is raised, rubber flange pushed up tight against glass edge instead of laying on top) as well as sealing bonnet release grommet and bulkhead seam.

To extend my efforts for those still having difficulties - it does look like the area beneath my scuttle panel has already been heavily covered by black tar/sealant/weatherproof paint. Perhaps that wiring box beneath the windscreen can be removed and sealed behind? Or seal all around it - perhaps water runs behind this and down into pedal box area? Alternatively - is water entering the A pillar and running down at the front edge of the door into metal seam and along over above pedals and into the cladding pieces?

It may be worth bearing in mind that beneath the carpet are several wide and deep gulleys in which there's some big pieces of sound deadening. Loads of water collects under this - I spent several nights with the heat gun and even when carpet was bone dry, pushing down hard on the gulley areas caused more water to get sucked up into carpet from the sound deadening foam. Last comment I can offer is that after pouring an entire 5L mop bucket over the windscreen, it took probably 10-15 minutes before a few drips were landing on the pedals/below bonnet release - the foam cladding has to get really waterlogged before it drips!

Hope this helps

Alex

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Just thought I'd confirm there's been no further water ingress to my LCR since the sealing job I did - to recap - this involved refitting the windscreen weatherseals correctly (strip is raised, rubber flange pushed up tight against glass edge instead of laying on top) as well as sealing bonnet release grommet and bulkhead seam.

To extend my efforts for those still having difficulties - it does look like the area beneath my scuttle panel has already been heavily covered by black tar/sealant/weatherproof paint. Perhaps that wiring box beneath the windscreen can be removed and sealed behind? Or seal all around it - perhaps water runs behind this and down into pedal box area? Alternatively - is water entering the A pillar and running down at the front edge of the door into metal seam and along over above pedals and into the cladding pieces?

It may be worth bearing in mind that beneath the carpet are several wide and deep gulleys in which there's some big pieces of sound deadening. Loads of water collects under this - I spent several nights with the heat gun and even when carpet was bone dry, pushing down hard on the gulley areas caused more water to get sucked up into carpet from the sound deadening foam. Last comment I can offer is that after pouring an entire 5L mop bucket over the windscreen, it took probably 10-15 minutes before a few drips were landing on the pedals/below bonnet release - the foam cladding has to get really waterlogged before it drips!

Hope this helps

Alex

Thanks for the info fella!

Although my windscreen weather seals are fitted correctly they are "lifting" in places. I wouldn’t expect this to be the cause of the leak as I presume these are only there to channel 99% of the water into the drainage holes (providing the window is sealed properly). I've checked the wing drainage holes and they are clear of any blockages. Also the bonnet release grommet looks to be secure and tightly fitted to the bulk head. I can therefore only presume the loom box might be at fault. I guess the next step is to open it up and check it’s not wet inside.

I'm a little unsure what you mean by "bulkhead seam." Do you have any pics which might point me in the right direction?

I had a window replaced around 3 months ago. Originally I thought the window was to blame but unfortunately this wasn’t the case (area around the window/dash was bone dry when I requested a 3rd be fitted).

I really want to get this sorted before I start refitting my trim. I never expected the water to start dripping onto the relays but it happened to me so I presume it can happen to others (thankfully I caught it just in time).

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=248201

The strange thing was that the carpets never got wet. I only knew I had a leak when the steering column trim was removed...

Cheers
Alex

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
No wet carpets is a good thing, should mean youve avoided any chance of mould and smell! (Thankfully I think I have too). re: bulkhead seam - there's a few pictures I took a little way back in the thread that highlight the area, and a couple back from that is another photo with a yellow arrow of an example where the hole is more pronounced than on mine. I can't be 100% certain whether water was coming in from the bonnet release, the barely visible gap in the bulkhead or due to the windscreen sealing strip - but I know that sorting the strip helps water funnel properly down to the engine bay end of the scuttle; and that there is a "deflector" at the bottom of the windscreen that channels water almost directly onto the bonnet release cable grommet (dodgy design but perhaps it would've been too close to curves in the metal to fit elsewhere!). I should also point out that at some stage, I had so much water coming in that the rear drivers' side footwell got just as bad, if not more waterlogged than the front - hard to believe so much water could be coming in like this but it would support my theory about the windscreen sealing strips potentially letting water into the A panel and then down the centre pillar and back into the rear footwell. This would be more pronounced when driving into rain, I expect.

Alex

costa

Wayne, I am sure you have read this thread and there are lots of ideas about where the leaks come from. I have sealed everything I can find under the scuttle panel and down the driver's side of the windscreen and thought I had solved the problem - then it snowed and I had my leak off the bonnet pull again. Then when the snow had gone it rained here for 24 hours and not a drip inside the car so now I am really confused. The only thing I haven't done is to take out the fusebox and inner kick panel in the driver's footwell to see if I can see any leak on the inner wheel arch but with the return of the snow that will have to wait until it warms up.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
I seem to only have "the leak" when I drive it! My LCR has been sat in the same spot for a week now and it’s bone dry inside (even though I've poured over 50 liters of water over it and it’s been snowed on). Last time I drove the car was near enough a week ago and I can remember the carpet above the accelerator pedal being dry when I set off but wet/damp after a 45 min drive.

The car is parked on level ground!

Now this seems to suggest may be a build of water somewhere! May be some of us are suffering from trapped water rather than an actual leak (if you get what I mean) :S

Very stange!

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Like it get's to a level and overflows to the pedal on movement?

Yes it's like it's as a result of the car moving, going over bumps, inclines etc...

This makes me think there could be a build up of water in the wiring loom box.

As soon as the snow clears my plan is to take it for another drive to see whether it does it again...

This could certainly be the reason behind my breakdown over the xmas period (It was parked on my mothers drive which is on a steep hill).

turbo009

Red Lightning
Jun 15, 2008
Grimsby North East Lincs
I have same problem,just been out to my car and found a puddle of water drivers side back. There's a little bit in the front,but that might be from when the water run into the back.

Does this sound like a seal gone? I will check the front wiper panel in a min to see if blocked.