Weitec Hicon GT / Ultra GT / general coilover query for Cupra TDI

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Folks,

I’ve been looking into coilovers for my Ibiza and can’t afford to spend too much, but on the other hand won’t waste my money on something cheap and nasty. I’m after something for general road use, but the car’s a daily driver hence don’t want a bone-shakingly hard, bouncy ride. But, I won’t be completely slamming it either but do think the mk4 Cupra needs to sit lower than it does as standard…

I’ve been thinking about the following:

Eibach coilover kit:
+ reputation, quality, handling, not too hard
- expensive, don’t lower at the back that much?

KW Variant 1:
+ reputation, quality
- expensive, possibly a bit hard for road use?

Weitec Hicon GT:
+ good price, reputation seems to be OK (made by KW, right?)
- possibly a bit on the hard side for road use? KW V1’s might just be worth the extra?

Weitec Ultra GT (suspension kit rather than coilovers, non-adjustable height at -30mm fr/rr, apparently):
+ very good price (£290ish), reputation seems to be OK (made by KW, right?)
- unknown quantity, i.e. no idea how much they’ll improve the appearance, i.e. how much they lower by in reality

Anything else I should consider?

Can anyone advise/comment on the above? All advice/comments appreciated. If anyone has comments, or can post photos of the various kits as fitted to mk4 Ibiza’s, I’d be grateful.

I’m just unsure whether to take a chance on either of the Weitec kits: I know the ride on the Eibachs *should* be good, but my only reservation being that they don’t seem to lower much at the back. I'm only going to spend money once on something like this, so I'm really doing my research - if I do get coilovers then the Ibiza will be getting kept for a few years, but if not then who knows... :D

Cheers
Ally

Nick_J

Dec 18, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Hi mate, I went for Weitec Hicon GT's (adjustable to 60mm) as you say good price and made by KW.

The road ride is harder than the CUPRA (which I wanted) but not overly hard as in bangs an crashes around (my mate has a standard 57 plate cupra).

The back on mine are as low as they go (60mm), which for myself is just right, otherwise you end up with the wheel having no gap at the top and lots at the sides of the arches which I personally dont like (when lowered too much)
And the fronts are around about 45mm lowered, so the car sits flat.

I am very happy with the ride now, fair enough you need to give speed bumps a decent amount of respect but I used to anyway
But for road handling and looks, I would give them a very high rating :) I have also added a strut brace for extra taughtness at the front and now its just how I want it.

Hope that helps!

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Cheers Nick, good to hear some positives about them. I just took a look at your profile too for a better pic of your car: that’s a nice height. I agree about not wanting the arch sitting on the top of the wheel, I’d rather have a more even arch gap all around the tyre. Any more pics of yours?

I've just investigated the cost of the Weitecs a bit more - I thought they were cheaper than the actually are :redface:. If you don't mind saying, where did you get yours and how much did you pay? (PM if you prefer not to say on the forum).

Stoo: no offence to any FK owners, but I’ve heard of issues regarding the quality of FKs. From reading comments regarding them on various forums, the tend to be rated as being quite firm. That’s not really what I’m after.

Nick_J

Dec 18, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
A11y, Nah dont mind at all, I got them fitted by Vagtech, and they sourced the coilovers for me as I couldnt beat the price that they got them for!

Yeh ive got more images but I cant get them for another week (away with work) Ill take a few after work today using phone camera (fairly decent quality) and try and upload them late tonight. I can also PM you links to more photos on photobucket later tonight, again as my work internet blocks it!
The receipt for them is also in my car, so ill find that out after work also and let you know the cost.

Any particular photos you want? Car was washed yesterday, but went thru a water splash today so back to being messy!!!!

Cheers

Deleted member 13581

Ally i have the Eibach coilovers and they will lower up to 70mm at at the back. May be getting rid of them soon aswell. ;)

I find them very comfortable.

PM me if your needing anymore information regarding them.

John-Cupra_TDI

Aug 27, 2007
Near Glasgow
Had my eibach's on for about 2 weeks now, absolutely loving them. I know the back doesnt go as low as it would with Fk's, but I'm happy with them, the handling is superb. Plus if you want the back lower, the adjuster cup can be removed.

Deleted member 13581

Yeah, we need to get some this week mate. (before mine come off aswell ;))

Was busy as fcuk last week with work. Text me and we will arrange something.

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Nick - cheers again, if you could PM me links to any pics would be much appreciated. Would be good to see any pics side on, and from front and rear, preferably on level ground as hills distort things...

John - nice one. How do they compare for ride quality compared to a standard Cupra TDI? I await the pics :D

Andy - PM'd you. Even if you're not selling I'd be interested in a mini-meet just to see what the Eibachs are like, if you wouldn't mind...?

Ally

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I know the back on the ibiza always looks like its sitting too high but I pretty certain the back is meant to sit abit higher than the front (ie pitch of the car angles down to the front) help reduce understeer.

Thinking about a set of eibach coiles myself, but anyone I know that has had FK's liked them alot.

John-Cupra_TDI

Aug 27, 2007
Near Glasgow
Nick - cheers again, if you could PM me links to any pics would be much appreciated. Would be good to see any pics side on, and from front and rear, preferably on level ground as hills distort things...

John - nice one. How do they compare for ride quality compared to a standard Cupra TDI? I await the pics :D

Andy - PM'd you. Even if you're not selling I'd be interested in a mini-meet just to see what the Eibachs are like, if you wouldn't mind...?

Ally

Them seem to be much better, more comfortable in every day sort of driving, then when you through the car in to bends there is so much grip!! I'm very happy with them. I don't think the back sits that high in real life, I think pictures make the gap look much bigger that it is. There's always the option of removing the adjuster cup.

A mini-meet sounds good, seeing Andy's convinced me to buy mine.

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Go on then folks, tempt me (even more): post up any pics of yours on Eibachs or Weitec Hicons or the Ultra GT kit :D

Ideally Cupra’s on standard rims, but anything will help.

I'm swinging towards the Eibachs at the moment, given that the Weitecs aren't likely to be much (if any) cheaper. I'm liking the sound of the quality and ride comfort of them.

John-Cupra_TDI

Aug 27, 2007
Near Glasgow
I'm swinging towards the Eibachs at the moment, given that the Weitecs aren't likely to be much (if any) cheaper. I'm liking the sound of the quality and ride comfort of them.

In some places the Weitecs are more expensive than the Eibach's.

Are you going to get spacers as well?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.