Well, looks like my spring is fooked

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Noticed a strange clunking noise coming from the n/s/f suspension last night/this morning. Just had a chance to check it on my dinner and I'm not very happy with what I've found.

I apologise for the seriously bad quality pic. My cameraphone decided it wouldn't let me turn the flash on [:@] So these are Photoshopped from what was a complete black photo. The white lines are to illustrate the spring coils :redface:

shocksmi8.jpg

As you can see the bottom coil of the n/s/f is sitting right up to the coil above it.

:censored: [:@] I was supposed to be doing a ~150 mile round trip tomorrow aswell :blink:

Any advice, recommendations, what have I exactly done etc....

Looks like I'll be giving JBS a call....

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Mate if you haven't got a cupra I have a set of MK4 springs sat in my garage... Want rid, so not too fussy on ££

:( tis gutting mate... typical when you're just about to go away with it too..

MK4 non cupra springs do have really bad wear and tear... they only seem to last 40k max...

Last edited:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the tdi suspension should fit fine ??? height and stiffness is irrelavant. you cannot drive on it like that :no:

gazjones

tdi springs wont work on the 1.2 totally different load spec thats why when you buy suspension kits you get the specific axel load! or i would have the seat sport suspension kit on my car

Last edited by a moderator:

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Yup cheers chaps, already thought of some of the local tdi boys who've upgraded but I realised there not suitable :(

I drove it home from work which is almost 20 miles, taking it VERY easy. The snow didn't help either :censored:

I'm going to go jack it up in a minute and have a better look at it

gazjones said:
totally different load spec thatshy hen ou bu suspension kits you get the specific axel load!
fo' shizzle! :happy:

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Looks like I'll get the AA to tow it to a garage, which will probably be Monday. Awaiting a message from Mike @ JBS

dsc00137ct4.jpg

dsc00136wm1.jpg

dsc00138pg6.jpg

and the car with a snow moustache :)

dsc00139oy6.jpg

So i'm car-less :(

edit - am i right in thinking the spring of a newer 1.4 would fit?

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Do change both sides....

the spring rate will be different though... however.... it'll be better than it is

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
yeah, the car has done 52k

thanks for the offer of the cupra springs, but i don't really want to have to dismantle all 4 corners.

So how safe is it to actually drive?

LOL there NOT cupra spirngs mate, they are std 1.9 TDi FR/Sport springs... altho didn't know you have Petrol

Good luck with it tho mate, hope you can still go away.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.