Hey,
What would you lot say are essential mods for a leon
mine is a phase 1 Tdi so no fancy bumpers etc. but still smart inside

In my mind they are:-
in no particular order

Remap
Cruise Control
Auto Windows
Body Coloured Bumpers (be it cupra / cupra R)
Body Coloured Side Strips
Side skirts
Head unit upgrade
Vag Com
18" Alloys (Leons have MASSIVE arches)

i only have Headunit, Cruise Control, Auto Windows & 18s

obviously different people will say different things and this isnt a definitive list at all, also the diesel boys (moi) and the petrol boys will say different things

Alanh

George

6000K HIDs mate (or whatever power takes your fancy).

I just fitted mine yesterday and I can honestly assure you that the difference is simple staggering. I got the "diane-shop" kit off eBay, they were simple to fit and look fantastic.

af1

Feb 17, 2008
i want to go Nozzles + FMIC before remap too!

oh other things:

S3 Strutbrace (upper and lower)

smokescreen

6000K HIDs mate (or whatever power takes your fancy).

I just fitted mine yesterday and I can honestly assure you that the difference is simple staggering. I got the "diane-shop" kit off eBay, they were simple to fit and look fantastic.

Which kit did you get specifically? Take much effort to fit?

George

This One

Was simple to fit mate, I can do a little guide if you want. Saying that, I think someone has done one already if you have a look about in the FAQ section. It's simple enough anyway. You just need some standard tools and a 25mm cutting bit for your drill :)

smokescreen

This One

Was simple to fit mate, I can do a little guide if you want. Saying that, I think someone has done one already if you have a look about in the FAQ section. It's simple enough anyway. You just need some standard tools and a 25mm cutting bit for your drill :)

Ahh thanks! I'll buy this on pay day given I've just shelled out for a remap, which went very well.

George

You've had it remapped? If so - nice one! Just watch the clutch - apparantly on the TDIs you could end up needing a new clutch with the extra torque etc.

And with regards to the Xenon kit, at first I was hesitant in buying them because I already had the Phillips Bluevision kit which gives off a nice icey blue light, and thought "nah they cant be any better than these!" but dude was I mistaken. The 6000k HIDs give off a gorgeous light that really help with driving. I don't need to use full beam any more because the dipped HIDs light up the road and road signs perfectly. I feel so much safer and I don't know how I managed with out them!

If I were to buy again, I would probably go for a slightly lower temperature as the 6000k is a little to bluey for me, but still I'm very happy with them and that's the only thing I'd change.

Minutes after fitting them I had a barry boy in his modded Astra pull over and let me past - I think he thought that I was a Police traffic car behind with the bright bluey tint! :happy:

smokescreen

The guy who did it (SP tuning btw) said it took the remap much better than most, holding boost very well all the way to 5.5k where it starts tailing off.

Clutch is holding up very well, no problem. Even slightly wet conditions I'm surprised that the LC in stock form with 225/45 KU31's puts down the power so well. No torque steer. I've only seen the traction light a few times so far after the remap.

Regarding HIDs, I was under the impression anything beyond 6000k certainly starts having different tints of colours, so ill definitely consider a slightly lower temperature. Thanks for the heads up.

George

The guy who did it (SP tuning btw) said it took the remap much better than most, holding boost very well all the way to 5.5k where it starts tailing off.

Clutch is holding up very well, no problem. Even slightly wet conditions I'm surprised that the LC in stock form with 225/45 KU31's puts down the power so well. No torque steer. I've only seen the traction light a few times so far after the remap.

Regarding HIDs, I was under the impression anything beyond 6000k certainly starts having different tints of colours, so ill definitely consider a slightly lower temperature. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad to hear of the success with the remap, I desperately want to get my 1.8T done but it's just money issues at the moment so I'm putting it off for a bit...

With regards to the colour temperatures, yes, that's right, a lot of people on this forum say that 6000k is about the maximum temperature they would go for - mainly because anything else is too blueish and also anything more you start losing light output in exchange for a violety purple tint. I would have to agree with this, 6000k looks very very nice, it's like that Range Rover sport look of blue, it's not too over the top.

My advice is do the research and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'd be happy with 6000ks! I'll try get some pictures of mine soon and post them up so you can see what I mean. :D

smokescreen

My advice is do the research and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'd be happy with 6000ks! I'll try get some pictures of mine soon and post them up so you can see what I mean. :D

Would be difficult to capture on camera, you'll need to make sure that your camera's white balance is calibrated, preferably using a DSLR to get it right... and then you have the different temperatures that monitors are set to, to contend with. Never mind the difference in color gamut between a normal TN based LCD and a PVA based LCDs.

Oh forgot to mention, Insurance was only an extra £60 for the remaining 6 months of my policy. Only £20 more than my HDi remap.

George

Would be difficult to capture on camera, you'll need to make sure that your camera's white balance is calibrated, preferably using a DSLR to get it right... and then you have the different temperatures that monitors are set to, to contend with. Never mind the difference in color gamut between a normal TN based LCD and a PVA based LCDs.

Oh forgot to mention, Insurance was only an extra £60 for the remaining 6 months of my policy. Only £20 more than my HDi remap.

Ahh that would make sense then! I tried getting a photo last night with my N95 8GB. Despite it being a good camera, the pictures came out very very white and glarey. They didn't really show the bluey tint enough!:doh:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
I got some 15000K for mine :D Bright Blue and gorgeous.

But purely for Show use, i roll with 6000k inbetween.

Do what mods take your fancy, Although ive noticed alot of power mods but no brake mods :)

get some Ferodo Pads, the DS2500 are very highly recommended, I to mine to the ring with some ultimax discs and it was welll worth it.

its about £250 for the kit but it certainly helps.

Especially if your putting huge wheels on :)

af1

Feb 17, 2008
These are not my mod list, i was wondering what people consider essential :)
I have looked into bigger brakes. although saying that i think my current brakes are over specced for my car they are like giant anchors!

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
How do you define 'essential'? I would assume you mean parts that are not great quality out of the factory that need replacing, or simple things that it should have had out of the factory i.e.:

Head unit/changer,
Front and rear wiper arms and blades,
Head lights,
Tyres,
Cruise control,
non-stick boot lock,
Better DV for turbo's,
Water pump impellor,
Heated mirrors on all models,
plus a few more I can't think of.

Then there's styling mods; but these are in a different group as they are strictly personal preference. And also performance mods, which are also personal preference i.e. remap, strut braces, arbs, alloys, suspension etc...

Anyway, that's my take on it. :p

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i think the fabia rear wiper a good upgrade , mine was juddering and smearing with the OEM one
the fabia cost less than £20 and does exactly what it says on the tin , looks alot nicer IMO too

bonnet seal is also a cheap one , keeps the crap out the bay

look at the guides , theres some really useful things which caught my eye , which swayed me to buy a Leon , because of the cheap mods , which made it look OEM and not like if crashed into sparesworld

i too have the 6k hids from hids4u

the delocking and fuse 38 too ,

depends on what you are aiming at , looks performance etc as the list goes on and on

Last edited:

Coalesy

Leon FR 20vt
Sep 16, 2008
Dronfield
sorry too highjack the thread but whats this fuse 38 upgrade i keep hearing about?? seen it on a few peoples signatures and on this thread, can anyone shine alight on it for me please? had a search for it but cant find anything

cheers :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.