What does this mean? Please help!

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
andycupra said:
if it does turn out to be the maf, get it exchange from a dealer. should be around £75-£85.

dont get charged for fitting it, its really easy, 2 min job.

If it is my MAF isnt that really bad that its gone so quickly?

So what would a dodgy MAF be reading like on VAG COM?

flashbsd

id have thought you would have an error from the MAF if it was that, still sounds to me like your positive deviation is cos of something requesting less than its delivering, not like a boost leak, where your requesting more and get much less (cos of the leak)

Deffo a fault somewhere else, MAF could be an option, but it wouldnt cause that fault itself.

Your MAF readings hit 136last time if i remember correctly, you should be seeing 120 easily from what i remember.

If your are its not yer MAF (sorry andy :) )

Still think the wiring for the n75 may have been knocked or something, the lil top hose off your DV is still on isnt it alex? DV sticking could be a cause, put std one back on and see :)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
CupraTgirl said:
If it is my MAF isnt that really bad that its gone so quickly?

So what would a dodgy MAF be reading like on VAG COM?

depends how fcuked it is!

i know on idle a lcr maf should suck about 2.9 g/s

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
flashbsd said:
id have thought you would have an error from the MAF if it was that, still sounds to me like your positive deviation is cos of something requesting less than its delivering, not like a boost leak, where your requesting more and get much less (cos of the leak)

Deffo a fault somewhere else, MAF could be an option, but it wouldnt cause that fault itself.

Your MAF readings hit 136last time if i remember correctly, you should be seeing 120 easily from what i remember.

Still think the wiring for the n75 may have been knocked or something, the lil top hose off your DV is still on isnt it alex? DV sticking could be a cause, put std one back on and see :)

Hhmm yeah i thought the readings i had were good to be honest

I will have a quick look at lunch and see if i can spot anything different! I can change the Dump Valve back to standard tonight and see if that makes a difference

The thing is, how do i drive the car to test these things out? Slowly or quite hard?

The_one

Mar 18, 2006
England
You need to have the car on boost and if logging if possible 4th gear from 2 - 6k

or 3rd gear if u dont fancy 4th

andycupra

status subject to change
flashbsd said:

:)

no need to apologise, just another option.. not saying what it is or isnt, just what it could be.

id check in this order:
N75
DV (top)
maf
pipework

thats really as the n75 and maf are easy to check before you start getting dirty looking for leaks.

Last edited:

flashbsd

well it depends what air filter, tip etc you have, so you cant compare between different cars. sorry :)

As andy says, check the obvious and then worry! could even be something like a dicky n249 or some wiring getting damp/wet and causing problems.

Drive it hard, if you dont you will alwyas be worried :)

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
flashbsd said:
well it depends what air filter, tip etc you have, so you cant compare between different cars. sorry :)

As andy says, check the obvious and then worry! could even be something like a dicky n249 or some wiring getting damp/wet and causing problems.

Drive it hard, if you dont you will alwyas be worried :)

I will have a look at lunch and then try and do a log tonight if i can

There is SO many things it could be but i know it will end up being the most expensive

No wonder i never get to do any mods to my car :cry:

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
I have a bit of an update!

I just went out to do something for work and had to drive there, when i got in the car and started her up it had to 'warm up' it seemed to rev slightly higher and then a bit jumpy at a couple of points, nothing massive but i noticed it as its normally smooth

I was parked up for about an hour and when i went to start her, it just wouldnt start! She turned and turned but nothing so i switched off and gave it another try and the same happenend and then with big hesitation and kind of staying at 0.2RPM for a second she came to and started

After that she was ok all the way back to work? Would this pin point anything on the list more specificially now?

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
I have another update!

What an eventful night it was last night! After checking the hoses we noticed that one was not on underneath, we got it back on and it still didnt sit right but i thought i would take it for a drive to see how it was! The car felt REALLY sluggish, didnt want to know so once back we decided to put the standard one back on as i wanted to eliminate what i could!

It was then time to do some logging, i drove slowly to the right road and then put it into 4th gear and floored it from 2000RPM and started the log! About 2 seconds later it coughed, spluttered and then just told me to :censored: off and cut out on me...i said straight away i was going to call the RAC! I crawled into the slip road (luckily was right by it) and the smell of egg/sulphor was just nearly making me vomit! Looked under the bonnet and the hose had come off again! I have to say at this point i was actually laughing, the smell was just horrific :lol:

Some bloke was VERY helpful before the RAC man came out and gave us a screw driver to put it on again with although it was really fiddly because the car was SO hot so when i started her up again it was lumpy and still STUNK so i turned it off and admitted defeat! The RAC man came out and put the hose on properly and it seemed SO much better on the way home

We checked for engine faults and it still came up with what it did before, oh and was also saying 'Temp Sensor Intermittent' or something...

The faults were cleared and i have turned it on again but i havent driven it since so i dont know if jsut turning it on will show the faults or if you have to drive it?

Im going to the local garage at lunch to have a diagnostics check done on it again so will have more updates later

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
I had that smell when a hose blew off the other week and am hoping it's not the sign of any damage to anything.

Do you know if have the black or green coolant sensor? I assume these are the same as with the Leons...

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
jetsetjimbo said:
I had that smell when a hose blew off the other week and am hoping it's not the sign of any damage to anything.

Do you know if have the black or green coolant sensor? I assume these are the same as with the Leons...

Did you carry on driving it when the smell was there?

I dont know what colour it is?

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
I just put the hose back on and carried on. On y first high speed / rpm blast following the blow off I could smell it again a little though...

Maybe your temp sensor is dead too? I know there are issues with the ones that were fitted as standard on the Leons, I assume this may also be the case with the Ibizas.

Did you ask the RAC man about the smell?

Jonzy

Egg smell is also associated with the coilpacks failing, checked the plugs? Always a good place to start

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.