what have you done to your car today ?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
To be honest i will have to make a few mods before I can fit mine, the bonnet strut bracket is in the way, and my Intercooler piping is likely going to be in the way as well. But what fun is a straight fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got one from an S3.
Instead of modding the bonnet lift strut/mount, i took a flap disc to the edge of the strut brace. Just enough for it to fit. Dab of black paint on the bare metal and job done. That part of the job took 5 to 10 mins max.
Maybe the TT item is different to the S3?

Rich

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Yeah the TT one is slightly different and fits worse than the s3 one haha

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
I didn't watch the video. But if you but some rivnuts you can fit them with a long bolt a nut and a washer .

Wind the nut up the bolt and then put the washer on... then do d on your rivnut.
Place in to your drilled hole. Hold the bolt with one spanner and then unwind the nut with another spanner. Keep going in till the rivnut has clamped up.
Then wind out the bolt ... 1 rivnut secured in position.....

Reactions: Sl1ced and Connor H

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yeah the TT one is slightly different and fits worse than the s3 one haha

Just had a look at one on ebay. I still say mod the brace. Also, has your one got the 2 metal brackets on the main bar? Id lose them aswell. They'd probably get in the way and look untidy.

Reactions: Manic172

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Just had a look at one on ebay. I still say mod the brace. Also, has your one got the 2 metal brackets on the main bar? Id lose them aswell. They'd probably get in the way and look untidy.

Yeah I’ve already got the grinder out ready lol

I’m going to test fit it when it next stops raining and see what option leaves me with cutting the least amount off the brace

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Be really keen to see your solution. I know you can switch the side of the bracket the damper is on, but it looks like more metal on metal clash will happen, only eye balled it up in the dark

Also those riv nuts do look handy for future removal actually

I cut the bit that is in the way off the brace so I don’t have a complete circle anymore

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
As mentioned above, just sand the mounting plate down to slot beneath the bonnet strut bracket.
A coat of paint and it'll look factory fit
Genuine VW bolts used for added points.
c54297a4a5bf87c241d1c78999cd6ce4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
As mentioned above, just sand the mounting plate down to slot beneath the bonnet strut bracket.
A coat of paint and it'll look factory fit
Genuine VW bolts used for added points.
c54297a4a5bf87c241d1c78999cd6ce4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yes that’s such a good idea about sanding down the mounting plate. I’m pretty confident. My intercooler piping is definitely going to be the issue, I’ll probably have to end up rerouting it with new pipe pieces

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It's been really slow sending out notifications tonight for some reason.

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Just swapped out my oem dv for a turbo smart kompact. Noise is so good. On the oem one I compressed the diaphragm and put my finger over the nipple. The diaphragm returned fully and there was very little pressure under my finger. Probably on its way out then?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Just had a contract come through for the start of next year and, of course, I'm spending all the money before I've even earnt it.

Part of me wants to replace the clutch and all the bushings and do a remap, but the other part of me just wants to get rid of the diesel and get a petrol Cupra instead...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Have you driven a petrol cupra?
Ive got a petrol one now but had the diesel 150 (remapped to 180) before.

The diesel feels way torqier but the petrol feels quicker.
Also in my experience, the diesel started to run out of beans at about 3k (pre remap) where as the petrol only starts getting going at 2500+
Different animals that feel exactly the same lol.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Have you driven a petrol cupra?
Ive got a petrol one now but had the diesel 150 (remapped to 180) before.

The diesel feels way torqier but the petrol feels quicker.
Also in my experience, the diesel started to run out of beans at about 3k (pre remap) where as the petrol only starts getting going at 2500+
Different animals that feel exactly the same lol.

Last petrol car I owned (and I think drove...?) was my 1.2 Ibiza mk3, and I sold that in 2007, so that'll give you an idea. Switching from that to the 150bhp Leon FR was an experience.

The thing about my Leon is that I love the low down grunt and the fact I can cruise on the motorways or A-roads at 55mpg, but I can still have a little fun when the roads get twisty. The biggest issue is that I don't drive it much and it's either for a really long journey every couple of months, or up to the girlfriend's, which is a mile. The trouble comes at MoT time when it's failed a lot on emissions because of the short journeys - but fingers crossed with the EGR valve clean, the injector cleaner I put in today and Mr Muscle in the turbo over Christmas etc. that's not going to be a problem.

That and the fact that I really know that car inside and out. Probably more intimately than is healthy.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Dont forget to work the actuator arm whilst you are doin the mr muscle thing.
I gained an extra 1/2 inch (estimated) of movement in mine when i did it.

Reactions: iammooks

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Went for a drive to pick some stuff up. The new dv sounds sick however I have noticed it flutters a fair bit, is that good? also my temp gauge has decided not to work. Strange after getting the cooling error the other day. She’s had a brand new coolant temp sensor. Thermostat? Eugh lol another problem

Reactions: Rich.T and Manic172

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Went for a drive to pick some stuff up. The new dv sounds sick however I have noticed it flutters a fair bit, is that good? also my temp gauge has decided not to work. Strange after getting the cooling error the other day. She’s had a brand new coolant temp sensor. Thermostat? Eugh lol another problem

Sounds like a dead thermostat for sure, i got both at the same time to get rid of the same issue

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
today i started working on my TT strut brace, grinded the tabs off and started sanding it all down to get rid of the lumpy texture. Hopefully tomorrow ill get to take the bonnet strut off and see what needs to be done to fit it around the bracket

Reactions: Sl1ced

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
busy busy day working on the brace and making changes to accompany it

-First issue is the hot pipe was 100% in the way, couldnt even get the strut close to the turret. So i had to get ghetto and flip the turbo alloy pipe around. which was a massive PITA because its like a 60 degree bend so it aimed downward toward the tip.

-This meant the TIP had to move way way down, which means good bye heat shield (not like it does f*ck all anyway) and had to rotate the MAF away from the alloy pipe above it a bit.

-This also meant the DV take off was in a different place so luckily had some left over pipe to cut for that.

Once all that was sorted i had way more clearance for the strut over the hot pipes, started marking it up to cut and actually managed to squeeze it in

I decided not to cut any further into the strut and now will turn my attention to the bracket with a dremel tomorrow so the brace has more room to slide underneath, then i think it will be pretty much fitted.

I was going to cut it and move the ball joint on the bracket but i have no idea how to get it out! otherwise that will save me some serious hassle.
IMG_3148.jpg
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3154.jpg
IMG_3155.jpg

anyway, some pics of the work today

Reactions: Manic172 and Rich.T
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.