what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
So, my post caused some confusion... my evil plan worked! Muahahaha!

Anyway, taking the bolts out of the inlet manifold was an absolute doddle, access is an issue, but a 6mm allen bit worked beautifully.

Yes, it's a gearbox facing inlet manifold rather than the standard one. Also, the turbo inlet has been clocked.
Some re-plumbing going on in the future then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yesterday i replaced 4 sections of hose on the car. 1st was the cold air feed pipe (controversial lol) to the air filter. Thought it was going to be a bumper off job as when id had the bumper off previously, id left the plastic piece off behind the headlight that the original pipe attached too.
Turns out the new pipe is so big that by the time id trimmed back the plastic behind the headlamp, there wouldnt be a lot left of it. So left it out.
3 inch diameter.
$_12.gif

Also fitted the elbow from turbo to hot pipe, pipe to inlet manifold, and from hotpipe.
$_57.jpeg.jpg
$_1.jpeg-1.jpg

The elbow went on easy and was a good fit. The 2 others on the other hand were the devils work. Both needed trimming. Also due to the lack of stretch they were an efing tight fit!
Give yourself a good hour if your going to fit these.

On the plus side, driving the car, it felt a lot snappier and responsive. But could just be a placebo affect.
I'll see how it feels this week.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Lots of these things I've been wondering about - boost pipes, silicone this and that - whether it'll help the engine breathe a bit better and maybe iron out some of the hesitation and what definitely feels like a lack in power from when it was new(er). First thing to do is the cheaper stuff, so sorting the turbo vanes and cleaning the inlet manifold is the priority, then we'll see if that has any noticeable effect on power delivery and go from there. For what I use it for, I'm more than happy with the stock car, but if I can keep it healthy and running efficiently, I don't see why it can't last as long again as it has already.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Lots of these things I've been wondering about - boost pipes, silicone this and that - whether it'll help the engine breathe a bit better and maybe iron out some of the hesitation and what definitely feels like a lack in power from when it was new(er). First thing to do is the cheaper stuff, so sorting the turbo vanes and cleaning the inlet manifold is the priority, then we'll see if that has any noticeable effect on power delivery and go from there. For what I use it for, I'm more than happy with the stock car, but if I can keep it healthy and running efficiently, I don't see why it can't last as long again as it has already.
If you clean the manifold and turbo at the same time then take the car out, itll blow your socks off 😁.
The difference will be like night and day.
Dont forget to work the actuator.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
If you clean the manifold and turbo at the same time then take the car out, itll blow your socks off .
The difference will be like night and day.
Dont forget to work the actuator.
Fantastic. I just thought I'd got used to the power - who'd have thought that fifteen years without a really good clean might mean the engine's not putting out as much power as it used to?

Pretty excited now about doing it - I'll get the undertray off to do the dogbone mount and taking the manifold off will give me more light on the turbo to see what I'm doing.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
At this time of year it tends to be something innocent. A couple of years ago I got some grit between my rear brake caliper and the disc. Made a horrible noise and scored the disc, but took the wheel off and unbolted the carrier and it sorted itself out.

Reactions: Connor H
AP Autostyling