what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
10de248fad43644955f2d9bc55355b52.jpg

I am *very* happy and *very* relieved. Those are the originals.

Shame the replacement ones are too long.

EDIT: I've had a look around and it sounds like the longer plugs will work fine - it might be something to do with improving emissions from what I came across. They're only 5mm longer, but if any DERV types know for sure, I'd be very grateful, before I put them back in the block!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: MoToJoJo

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
10de248fad43644955f2d9bc55355b52.jpg

I am *very* happy and *very* relieved. Those are the originals.

Shame the replacement ones are too long.

EDIT: I've had a look around and it sounds like the longer plugs will work fine - it might be something to do with improving emissions from what I came across. They're only 5mm longer, but if any DERV types know for sure, I'd be very grateful, before I put them back in the block!

Had one of mine out other day to double check the part number as I seen genuine glow plugs for 6.99 each on parts depot but the Listing was wrong as it wasn’t the same plug

hears a pic I took if you want to cross check part number

Attachments

• 1FAA7065-0424-4E50-B9A9-92FD21B7B28D.jpeg
    1FAA7065-0424-4E50-B9A9-92FD21B7B28D.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Had one of mine out other day to double check the part number as I seen genuine glow plugs for 6.99 each on parts depot but the Listing was wrong as it wasn’t the same plug

hears a pic I took if you want to cross check part number
Thank you - I pulled up the Bosch plugs I've got on the Opie Oils website, and they've got the same part number - it basically says it's compatible with N10579201 and N10579202.

The ones I've got are 97mm and the ones I pulled out are 92mm, but I've put my car through a few parts sites now and they've all said that this one is compatible, so I'll either have pieces of glow plug in each cylinder or they'll be just fine...

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Thank you - I pulled up the Bosch plugs I've got on the Opie Oils website, and they've got the same part number - it basically says it's compatible with N10579201 and N10579202.

The ones I've got are 97mm and the ones I pulled out are 92mm, but I've put my car through a few parts sites now and they've all said that this one is compatible, so I'll either have pieces of glow plug in each cylinder or they'll be just fine...

i'd go genuine as was told it can throw a light on dash was lucky as dave was on here then and got a 4 set and the rail, I've seen them though and look ok but i would not chance it, on the plugs i got the BERU brand is on there see if its same, also i know ebay have genuine normally there 30 quid each, this from one of my saved sellers £15 each https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122125267048?epid=651472056&hash=item1c6f3bb068:g:rkQAAOSwOdpX0vHb same BERU name as well and I've seen them on euro parts and car parts for less 4 quid but not sure, but the N10579202 are 97mm in length what's part number the ones you pulled? use some copper grease when you fit new ones they be easier to remove the ones i replace two were really hard to remove, thought one was going to snap at one point they come out dry.

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
i'd go genuine as was told it can throw a light on dash was lucky as dave was on here then and got a 4 set and the rail, I've seen them though and look ok but i would not chance it, on the plugs i got the BERU brand is on there see if its same, also i know ebay have genuine normally there 30 quid each, this from one of my saved sellers £15 each https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122125267048?epid=651472056&hash=item1c6f3bb068:g:rkQAAOSwOdpX0vHb same BERU name as well and I've seen them on euro parts and car parts for less 4 quid but not sure, but the N10579202 are 97mm in length what's part number the ones you pulled? use some copper grease when you fit new ones they be easier to remove the ones i replace two were really hard to remove, thought one was going to snap at one point they come out dry.

Yep - all the signs are pointing to the 97mm ones being fine. That part number points to 97mm and I've read that Audi started using longer ones because they do a better job of heating the fuel, which apparently reduces emissions.

It sounds like a few other people have been worried about the longer ones, but I found a thread on UK MKIVs saying they fitted them in the ARL without any problems, so I'll fit them now and cross my fingers.

The ones that came out were NGK ones. As far as I know, they've not been changed, although I bought the car after the interval where they could have been changed, so who knows? They look a bit sad and coked up, so doubtless needed changing anyway.

Here's a photo with the part number:

6d2fc628e57a962ca28d33f64ee7b187.jpg

When I find my multimeter I'll check them for resistance. The car has been pretty sluggish starting lately but no codes and only the occasional glow plug light.

I'm just looking forward to getting it done - I bought these plugs in March 2021, so that gives you a good idea of how worried I've been about snapping them.

Reactions: mty12345 and Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Yep - all the signs are pointing to the 97mm ones being fine. That part number points to 97mm and I've read that Audi started using longer ones because they do a better job of heating the fuel, which apparently reduces emissions.

It sounds like a few other people have been worried about the longer ones, but I found a thread on UK MKIVs saying they fitted them in the ARL without any problems, so I'll fit them now and cross my fingers.

The ones that came out were NGK ones. As far as I know, they've not been changed, although I bought the car after the interval where they could have been changed, so who knows? They look a bit sad and coked up, so doubtless needed changing anyway.

Here's a photo with the part number:

6d2fc628e57a962ca28d33f64ee7b187.jpg

When I find my multimeter I'll check them for resistance. The car has been pretty sluggish starting lately but no codes and only the occasional glow plug light.

I'm just looking forward to getting it done - I bought these plugs in March 2021, so that gives you a good idea of how worried I've been about snapping them.

The plugs I took out at 52k were 97mm same part number been told the average life is around 60k but there was crumbling rail issue that fits on plugs so that was changed, I should of checked mine,
Auto doc site shows ARL next to 97mm unless that size is only used in the arl engine,
Your plugs do look after market though if that’s the case that means they won’t throw a light from what I was told , Ngk is a good brand though since last time I used them, they coke up as soon as you put them in,
the sluggishness at cold could be the battery one reason I changed mine but it was the original.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
The plugs I took out at 52k were 97mm same part number been told the average life is around 60k but there was crumbling rail issue that fits on plugs so that was changed, I should of checked mine,
Auto doc site shows ARL next to 97mm unless that size is only used in the arl engine,
Your plugs do look after market though if that’s the case that means they won’t throw a light from what I was told , Ngk is a good brand though since last time I used them, they coke up as soon as you put them in,
the sluggishness at cold could be the battery one reason I changed mine but it was the original.

Battery is always in the back of my mind. My girlfriend ran it flat a few years ago - my fault as the door sensor wasn't working and it didn't beep to let her know the lights were on - and last year when I was wiring up the boost gauge, I managed to run it flat then too. If it starts up fine today, I'll have my answer!

It's always going to be a regret that I didn't buy a Cupra R when I had the money to. I probably couldn't afford to run one if I had one, but at least it would look the balls parked outside the house.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Battery is always in the back of my mind. My girlfriend ran it flat a few years ago - my fault as the door sensor wasn't working and it didn't beep to let her know the lights were on - and last year when I was wiring up the boost gauge, I managed to run it flat then too. If it starts up fine today, I'll have my answer!

It's always going to be a regret that I didn't buy a Cupra R when I had the money to. I probably couldn't afford to run one if I had one, but at least it would look the balls parked outside the house.

If you do this is the one I got, it’s more powerful than the standard also,

There was another mint one on there , that one I posted though I got my last car from them you pay over the odds but you know it’s mint will all paperwork and keys ect
Not sure what road tax they are but I don’t think it’s are cheap as ours and then there is the fuel, ive got a heavy right foot so that’s not a good start 😂

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
If you do this is the one I got, it’s more powerful than the standard also,

There was another mint one on there , that one I posted though I got my last car from them you pay over the odds but you know it’s mint will all paperwork and keys ect
Not sure what road tax they are but I don’t think it’s are cheap as ours and then there is the fuel, ive got a heavy right foot so that’s not a good start 😂
Even with a heavy right foot, you're still going to be getting 35mpg...! My only saving grace is that there aren't that many drivers' roads round these parts - if I lived up north, I'd definitely have points on my licence.

I've always been perfectly happy with my actual car (even if the emissions are starting to be an issue) - truth be told, if I could get the Cupra R bumpers, I'd be fine with that, and even at the silly prices they're going for now, it'd still cost less than £12k. I do still like the FR ones though - and it's funny now that the car's getting older, more people are paying attention to it. I've never had a 'desirable' car before...

Thanks for the heads up on the battery - it's always nice to get opinions on what works well in my actual car.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Even with a heavy right foot, you're still going to be getting 35mpg...! My only saving grace is that there aren't that many drivers' roads round these parts - if I lived up north, I'd definitely have points on my licence.

I've always been perfectly happy with my actual car (even if the emissions are starting to be an issue) - truth be told, if I could get the Cupra R bumpers, I'd be fine with that, and even at the silly prices they're going for now, it'd still cost less than £12k. I do still like the FR ones though - and it's funny now that the car's getting older, more people are paying attention to it. I've never had a 'desirable' car before...

Thanks for the heads up on the battery - it's always nice to get opinions on what works well in my actual car.
When I was working away all over uk there was more cameras down south different types as well it was a headache , you still got to watch it out here,
When I was looking for a leon I wanted the last fr with cupra kit think they made them the last 6 months just had smaller cupra wheels but they were holding big money at the time and higher mileage that I eventually got and I got a good deal on that, I’d whould had to spent at least 2500- 3k more at the time,
I’ve had that but there’s not many about now, I see the odd one but rare and there all cupra’s, one looked like it had crashed through Halfords and come out the other end with all the Add ones you can buy 😂 I’m like why

what I read on battery’s at time Bosch make varta battery’s good deal that battery I payed around that before everything shoot up

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I have posted in the wanted section. But I am now in desperate need of some one breaking a mk1 . I need to cut a section out of the back panel to carry on with my build. Please is any body able to help
ask Thai

Reactions: Manic172
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise