what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Rooting around the inter cooler pipes and noticed what seems to be a lot of oil on the pipe just beyond the pancake pipe. Is this abnormal? View attachment 13779 View attachment 13780

I have this too. When I had the undertray off the other week to do the turbo vacuum lines, I noticed there was a fair bit of oil collected there.

I looked around online a little and I got the impression that oil does collect here as it's one of the lowest points of the engine, but I'm only going by what other people said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I have this too. When I had the undertray off the other week to do the turbo vacuum lines, I noticed there was a fair bit of oil collected there.

I looked around online a little and I got the impression that oil does collect here as it's one of the lowest points of the engine, but I'm only going by what other people said.

yeah I got that impression too, I’ve cleaned it up with a rag and I’ll check up on it later.

Reactions: iammooks

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Cleaned my AIT sensor today. Went to do the MAF but couldn’t get hold of a 5 point TS25 bit.

Worth doing, throttle response feels much better.

99116C72-1968-4CC1-BA3B-E82812BF6554.jpeg

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Rooting around the inter cooler pipes and noticed what seems to be a lot of oil on the pipe just beyond the pancake pipe. Is this abnormal? View attachment 13779 View attachment 13780
Be ready to replace the turbo. Oil will be leaking from the seals. I've had a few 1.8t and 1.9tdi and any oil in them pipes or around the joins means turbo failure is going to be an issue soon.
Second possibility could be and it's a long shot....turbo went....was replaced...but pipe work wasn't cleaned out. I've clean up pipework after a turbo went and it's not nice but fairly easy job so anyone replacing it would have taken the pipework off, unless told not to bother to save cash.

Wip of the hose...see if you have play, ..check for in and out mainly, slight movement? Shot seals and oil will be leaking from there into the pipework into the intercooler ect ect. Most cars that have a blown seal smoke a little, maybe off boost maybe on boost or spool up but it will smoke maybe only a little bit...more smoke, more damage to seal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Connor H

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Be ready to replace the turbo. Oil will be leaking from the seals. I've had a few 1.8t and 1.9tdi and any oil in them pipes or around the joins means turbo failure is going to be an issue soon.
Second possibility could be and it's a long shot....turbo went....was replaced...but pipe work wasn't cleaned out. I've clean up pipework after a turbo went and it's not nice but fairly easy job so anyone replacing it would have taken the pipework off, unless told not to bother to save cash.

Wip of the hose...see if you have play, ..check for in and out mainly, slight movement? Shot seals and oil will be leaking from there into the pipework into the intercooler ect ect. Most cars that have a blown seal smoke a little, maybe off boost maybe on boost or spool up but it will smoke maybe only a little bit...more smoke, more damage to seal.

Like my day wasn't bad enough already.

Reactions: Connor H

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

What colour smoke? I've never had even a puff off blue smoke that i'm aware of. I will recheck the pipes for play, from what i gathered it seems like everyone has a little oil in there. Previous owners were certainly not enthusiasts, so i doubt that pipe ever saw some rag before then.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
What colour smoke? I've never had even a puff off blue smoke that i'm aware of. I will recheck the pipes for play, from what i gathered it seems like everyone has a little oil in there. Previous owners were certainly not enthusiasts, so i doubt that pipe ever saw some rag before then.
Funny really as it was white. (1.8t) many mechanical men says it's normal...I've met a few...oil isn't mean to come out of anywhere. No TDI left the factory like this and it doesn't go like this over time, Garrett never did this as a feature. seal is about to give way or has or has in the past. If an mot man see's it he may have a fit with the new mot laws. May not be leaking but shows signs of it so really should fail because it won't get any better and may fail and throw oil on the road.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Funny really as it was white. (1.8t) many mechanical men says it's normal...I've met a few...oil isn't mean to come out of anywhere. No TDI left the factory like this and it doesn't go like this over time, Garrett never did this as a feature. seal is about to give way or has or has in the past. If an mot man see's it he may have a fit with the new mot laws. May not be leaking but shows signs of it so really should fail because it won't get any better and may fail and throw oil on the road.

Sounds like something I need to keep an eye on - at least I know there will be people here who will know how to repair or replace if it does go. Is it something that can be repaired or will I have to buy a new turbo?

At the moment, the main thing I've noticed (and actually only in the past few weeks after I replaced the turbo actuator vacuum hose) is that I've had some smoke on acceleration when the engine is cold, but that there's been none of the other symptoms. I check the oil regularly and I've not seen any drop in levels since I did an oil change in July, so it doesn't look like I'm burning through oil, and there are no engine lights either.

Obviously, with the way things are at the moment, I'm not going to have a chance to get the car out and give it a good run for a while now, but at least that means it's not going to get any worse.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Sounds like something I need to keep an eye on - at least I know there will be people here who will know how to repair or replace if it does go. Is it something that can be repaired or will I have to buy a new turbo?

At the moment, the main thing I've noticed (and actually only in the past few weeks after I replaced the turbo actuator vacuum hose) is that I've had some smoke on acceleration when the engine is cold, but that there's been none of the other symptoms. I check the oil regularly and I've not seen any drop in levels since I did an oil change in July, so it doesn't look like I'm burning through oil, and there are no engine lights either.

Obviously, with the way things are at the moment, I'm not going to have a chance to get the car out and give it a good run for a while now, but at least that means it's not going to get any worse.
Hahah go shopping in it.

Don't worry, I deliver for IKEA and we are still aloud out and about and our delivery job is pointless, deliver a mattress or plates? Food yes, same with hmv Topshop spreading the love/infection!
Rant over.

You can replace the inside of the turbo, badger5 sells them for half the price of a new turbo but having it fitted, balanced, price will go up.
I'd take the pipe off and have a feel of the wheel. Any play...replace.
More play there is...sooner the replacement is needed.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Hahah go shopping in it.

Don't worry, I deliver for IKEA and we are still aloud out and about and our delivery job is pointless, deliver a mattress or plates? Food yes, same with hmv Topshop spreading the love/infection!
Rant over.

You can replace the inside of the turbo, badger5 sells them for half the price of a new turbo but having it fitted, balanced, price will go up.
I'd take the pipe off and have a feel of the wheel. Any play...replace.
More play there is...sooner the replacement is needed.

I'm in that fun position where I'm self-employed, had a fairly good run these past couple of months, so can survive for a little while, but am stuck asking whether a turbo rebuild is absolutely necessary right now, but also asking whether I can afford a replacement turbo if it totally gives out and I can't drive to any jobs...

How much am I looking at for the kit? Looking at Badger5, I'm guessing it's one of their CHRAs?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I'm in that fun position where I'm self-employed, had a fairly good run these past couple of months, so can survive for a little while, but am stuck asking whether a turbo rebuild is absolutely necessary right now, but also asking whether I can afford a replacement turbo if it totally gives out and I can't drive to any jobs...

How much am I looking at for the kit? Looking at Badger5, I'm guessing it's one of their CHRAs?
£200/£300 ish . If it's not smoking, leave it, when it starts it will still drive. Treat her nice, she could go on for another 10k if driven ok.
Best bet, get under it, take the pipe off and check for play, maybe just be nothing.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Did the n249 bypass and deleted the reservoir, then Fitted a forge DV for shits and gigs. Got rid of the metal hard piping too (lost my coolant in the process) Changed a bit of FPR hose which is routed temporarily as such until someone could tell me how the f*ck you rotate the FPR. Pretty busy day lol

7CC8F498-91E6-4644-8BBD-371EDC013232.jpeg
564A3A05-D536-4A55-84B2-7A5C34207EF4.jpeg
111C1721-B84F-4638-A4E3-E6D27B5AA9E0.jpeg
59DB873B-D3DA-4A3B-8887-A86396455468.jpeg

I’ve got a t piece but decided to keep the FPR line as it was instead of tapping into the dv line. If I did I’d be left with an open nipple, I also have blanking caps on the way but doesn’t look like I need them if I keep it as is. Only thing I was stumped on was this hose that comes from the fuel rail metal line and then the TB? I’ve left it open but I think it connected to the TIP.

F951E0D1-192B-4D23-8CE3-BE2598DF22B8.jpeg

I'm also going to simplify the brake servo with some vacuum hose soon as its split badly.

Reactions: Andrewwright

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Busy week, simplified my brake servo vac. After deleting the N249 and removing hard pipes I decided to go the full hog and deleted the suction spray pump and its plumbing too.

IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2279.JPG

sorry for spamming the forum lately lol

Reactions: Manic172

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
sorry for spamming the forum lately lol

Given my car's parked up a couple of roads away and I haven't driven it for a week, I'm actually really grateful for the fact I can keep up with what other people are doing. Keep it coming...!

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Given my car's parked up a couple of roads away and I haven't driven it for a week, I'm actually really grateful for the fact I can keep up with what other people are doing. Keep it coming...!

Ive got jack else to do, Im out of work and out of pocket, but ive got a little bit of cash aside and im buying every cheap cheap item i can while i have all this time. 2 weeks ago i wasnt even going to bypass the N249 on this car aha.

Left to do yet is my injector seat + seals replacement, and replacing my fuel lines in the bay with braided ones. Im sure ill post on here lol.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Ive got jack else to do, Im out of work and out of pocket, but ive got a little bit of cash aside and im buying every cheap cheap item i can while i have all this time. 2 weeks ago i wasnt even going to bypass the N249 on this car aha.

Left to do yet is my injector seat + seals replacement, and replacing my fuel lines in the bay with braided ones. Im sure ill post on here lol.

I ordered a bumper from a breaker on eBay a while back, but they've gone quiet since the lockdown started. Hopefully I'm still going to get it... It's a shame because fitting it would have given me something to do.

I know I can always get my money back from eBay if they don't send it, but given how long I waited for that particular bumper to come up, it'll be a pain if I don't.

I do need to check my turbo now, but it's probably best not to do that when it would involve getting under the car while it's parked on a hill...

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I ordered a bumper from a breaker on eBay a while back, but they've gone quiet since the lockdown started. Hopefully I'm still going to get it... It's a shame because fitting it would have given me something to do.

I know I can always get my money back from eBay if they don't send it, but given how long I waited for that particular bumper to come up, it'll be a pain if I don't.

I do need to check my turbo now, but it's probably best not to do that when it would involve getting under the car while it's parked on a hill...

Thats annoying. I have ordered literally 20 small items off ebay that came in usual time. I suppose a breakers is more of a physical shop, whereas places with a big online outlet are business as usual.

Yes, i also need to check my turbo for play as advised, little bit nervous though. If its ****** its a big expense that will hold up pretty much all the other expenses i have on hold lol.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Thats annoying. I have ordered literally 20 small items off ebay that came in usual time. I suppose a breakers is more of a physical shop, whereas places with a big online outlet are business as usual.

Yes, i also need to check my turbo for play as advised, little bit nervous though. If its ****** its a big expense that will hold up pretty much all the other expenses i have on hold lol.

It's been a bit hit and miss. I'm restoring some furniture and the screws I needed for that came in a few days, but then a whole bumper is a little different. It is a small breaker, so in between me ordering it and them taking it off the car, the sky fell in.

I keep forgetting that my car is fifteen years old now and there comes a time that the amount I spend will eventually come to more than the car is worth, but when it comes to this car, the words 'uneconomical to repair' just don't seem to apply. Tell me that when I need a new clutch, exhaust and turbo all at the same time though...

Reactions: Manic172