what immobiliser is in Mk2 Ibiza Cupra Sport?

gti_jonathan

Hi I have just been given a 1998 Mk2 Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport gti 8v by my dad.

I rang my insurance company to change the insurance to this car and they said that they needed to know what immobiliser is in the car and simply saying factory fitted wasn't enough :confused:

So here is my question, does anyone know what immobiliser is in this car as standard, make/model whatever, any and all information would be a great help.

Tried searching google but that proved to be fruitless!

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
it's factory fitted standard but not thatcham approved so you might be looking at fitting one to get insurance approved or cheaper mind

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
contact seat uk via their website with your reg/vin & ask them to send a letter or e-mail confirming immobiliser. we had to do this for Tesco who won't cover for theft until they see proof

gti_jonathan

thanks guys, I have contacted SEAT who sent me an email with this information:
"As we have discussed, this is what came factory fitted on the vehicle for an alarm and immobiliser.
The first three digits are PR Codes, this is an identification code to show that the vehicle had this option at factory.

7AB electronic alarm system with vehicle immobilization device (for RoW)"

old 'uns - is this the type of information you supplied to tesco? and did tesco accept the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
oh crap i was meaning to do this also, insurance company won't believe there is an alarm on my car, went to a garage (my uncles mates :p) and they wrote a letter, they said that's not enough,

then they said "we need you to go to a garage and get the serial code rear from a barcode reader, and it will say what the alarm is"
i went to loads of garages, and no ones even heard of this barcode reader? am i going mad?

gti_jonathan

I know its ridiculous! The strange thing is, when my dad was insured on this car they didn't ask him any questions like this!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I know its ridiculous! The strange thing is, when my dad was insured on this car they didn't ask him any questions like this!

yeah when my sister was main driver, they didn't ask nowt, now its in my name (i'm only 21) they want it!

who did you email mate?

gti_jonathan

Robert Hough
SEAT Senior Case Manager
SEAT National Contact Centre
[email protected]

This is the guy that replied to my father who contacted SEAT

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
yes tesco accepted, needs SEAT confirmation that alarm/imm is fitted to your chassis. i printed out e-mail & sent to tesco

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members