Wheel Alignment / Tracking

The Pielander

May 2, 2007
West Midlands
I've just had 4 new tyres fitted to my TDI 130 Sport and after seeing the wierd wear patterns on the old tyres I took it for a 4 wheel laser alignment check. This showed one of the fronts thrust angle was out but also the rear tyres both have a negative camber of about 1° so as you look at the back of the car they both lean to the left. That explains the wear on the Kumhos but the bloke in the garage said the rears can't be adjusted. Has anyone else come across the same thing?

antnee

Neg camber is not a bad thing, yeah sure it means your tyres don't quite last as long, but the back end will be more stable than if they had no camber

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
but the bloke in the garage said the rears can't be adjusted. Has anyone else come across the same thing?

Not completely true.

They can not be adjusted in the normal way of loostening bolts and moving something.

However you can get tapered shims to go between the stub axle and the rear axle to correct / add camber.

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
If both leaned to the left then the left wheel has 1º positive camber, the right wheel has 1º negative camber. If that's so I'd be a little worried as to what has happen to the back of the car... any chassis experts here?

The Pielander

May 2, 2007
West Midlands
If both leaned to the left then the left wheel has 1º positive camber, the right wheel has 1º negative camber. If that's so I'd be a little worried as to what has happen to the back of the car... any chassis experts here?

Well spotted! I should have said they lean to the right :doh: It's funny that on the printout from the alignment machine it makes them look like they are 45° out!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Well spotted! I should have said they lean to the right :doh: It's funny that on the printout from the alignment machine it makes them look like they are 45° out!

If both have negative camber - offside wheel would lean left and nearside wheel would lean right.

IE the tops of both rear wheels would lean in towards the car.

What were the numbers for the front axle ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.