Which is the correct LCR Suspension?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Right guys,

I'm going to have to throw this out to the floor because I'm getting lots of conflicting information.

I've bought some new KW shocks and springs for my LCR but I'm not 100% certain that they are correctly rated for my car and I would like to be sure before I have them fitted.

The KW site itself lists two kits for the Leon 1M, this kit is rated to a front axle load of 930Kg:

http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/kw-product-list.php?vid=1549

This kit is rated to a front axle load of 1030Kg:

http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/kw-product-list.php?vid=1550

So, which is correct? To add a little more confusion to the mix the TT and S3 both have kits listed which are rated to 1030/1050Kg:

http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/kw-product-list.php?vid=1848
http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/kw-product-list.php?vid=1067

Jon

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
the first one is for the 1.8 non turbo, so wont be that one

s3 is same suspension as lcr so i would say its that one, the rears on lcr are mk4 golf setup, but not sure if the s3 is...

the tdi springs are usually the same sprung weight as 1.8t due to the derv being a heavy engin

so first one no... s3 is likely, 1.9tdi maybe

ha ha, hope that helps...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I've got the first kit that I listed above, I will speak to the supplier privately and if the general consensus is that they have supplied the wrong kit then hopefully they will sort it out for me.

So you guys reckon the one listed for the TDI will be the correct one?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
It's different with different manufacturers as most use different spring rate bands, but sometimes the 1.9TDi springs are too high a rate for the 1.8T.

KW don't actually list a kit for the Leon 1M 1.8T so we generally have to use Golf 4 springs which have different band spring rates thus we can usually get the exact right ones for your car.

If you can get your front axle weight and also the part numbers off the springs I’ll be able to tell you if KW has sent out the correct kit we ordered. Worst comes to worst, the dampers are all the same so it would only be the springs we needed to change but let’s see if KW have got it wrong or right first.

Damian @ DPM

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Damien, what is the standard spring rate for the LCR then?
How does that differ and effect the spring choice from the MK4 Golf?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
The spring rate for each car goes off front axle weight which car be found on a white sticker usually under the carpet in the boot of the car.

KW only do two spring rate bands for the Leon 1M, >930kg and 931kg>. This isn't the best as it means the same springs are used for numerous vehicles in the 931-1030kg band. This is why we prefer the way KW do it for the Golf 4 which is >930kg, 931-980kg and 981kg>.

Hope this helps.

Damian @ DPM

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
So even the heavyest ones are not suitable for the LCR with a front loading of 1,020 Kgs, these would be a compromise not a direct fit.
80Kgs less loading on the front end is a huge amount

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
So the same springs will account for a front end loading difference of 100 Kgs.
If it were me I wouldn't want to get a kit that was right at the end of its scale.
This is like having a 15 stone guy sitting on you bonnet difference

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
The spring rate goes from 931-1030kg on the Leon 1M and 981-1030kg on the Golf 4. In the past we've had LCR's in with a front axle weight quoting of 970kg the same as the TT which is a little strange.

Damian @ DPM

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Have you ever had the chance to corner weight any of these cars?
I'l be getting mine corner weighed soo to see what is the correct weight.
I will also be buying coilovers and get these corner weighted set up.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
We haven't no. It's strange as the front axle weight seems to be varried between the same vehicle which shouldn't really be the case.

Damian @ DPM

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.