Window Mechanism Repair kit or new Window Regulator Clip?

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
I have seen some on ebay but they are the plastic ones and from turkey.
just say I get a clip or have to buy a whole new mechanism, the cabling has come of the pulleys do you know if it is that hard to put back on because I have heard it's underquite a bit of tension?

cheers mate

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
Just spoke to vwspares and they have said that will need to buy the whole mechanism (excluding motor) from SEAT this will cost circa £115 + VAT which is a joke. As does not look like clips can be bought separately.

Still haven't taken unit apart completely so there it still may be salvageable. If it is not will have to try and see if I could source it cheaply from breakers but in the mean time will fix the window up some how from underneath once taken the panelling off that the motor and regulator mechanism attaches to (believe it's called the ancillaries carrier)

ab1702_123

Jan 21, 2010
same problem

just wondered how u sorted this problem with the regulator/clips i have the exact same problem where window was smashed and now the clips are broken,window is sorted thru insurance so just wondered how u sorted the regulator/clips?

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
Still sorting the problem, currently the window is taped up with external gaffer tape which doesn't look too secure but does the job well.

As for fixing it- will need to take the who panel off the back off the car and just haven't had time or the weather hasn't permitted it.

There is an ebay seller in turkey that sells plastic clips on their own which would still work out cheaper than buying the regulator mechanism from the dealer (as the clips cannot be bought separately) which I may do when I have decided a time to do it!

good luck- if you decide to attempt it, take some pictures because the other guide is only for VWs!

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
To be honest I seem to remember someone saying that the Golf/Bora ones are different. These easiest way would be able to check part numbers on via ETKA )on vagcat.com)

Shame they are for the front windows- mine is the back one that has gone!

Does anyone know if it is a relatively straight forward job putting the clips on the cables and if there will be likely to be problems with tensioning the cables?

ab1702_123

Jan 21, 2010
the ones for the golf/bora dont fit,iv looked into it and looked absolutely everywhere because mine is for the rear door aswel,the only options i can find is to buy the whole mechanism and regulator and everything from a breaker(about £45-£50) or buy it brand new but your talking about £100 plus about 2-3 hours labour in a garage unless you can do it yourself or on ebay there is one repair kit which is for a rear door which is in germany but the clips are still plastic which is about £20,think il be going for the £20 option just because its for the rear window which hardly gets used so not likely to break again whilever iv got it unless some kind person smashes the window again,unless anybody has got any better ideas???

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
Yeah I have a feeling that I will do the same if I see one for £20 too- what's the sense in paying all that money if it hardly gets used.
Yes it will take hours to fix though. Going to consider it when things get a bit dryer...seems to rain for the whole of England in York!!

SCupra

Aug 19, 2007
Hi

I got metal front clips from VW for a Mk 4 golf, when I started to fit them it soon became apparent that they were slightly different, the big part where the cables clip into was to big, this meant that the clip did not run up and down the runner at the right angle, after a bit of filing I got them to fit and have worked now for a year.

Probably worth the hassle as the clips cost less than £30.00.
:D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members