Wing Mirror Fault Leon MK2

smithyjames

Hey Guys,

This site has been really good at finding out other faults with my 56reg Leon FR TFSI but i have failed to find out what's happening with my wing mirrors.

To cut a long story short, they dont fold in all the way as they should with the key hold lock or the 6pm position. I have reset the MFD and taken it to Seat and they 'reset the parameters' which did nothing apart from restrict their travel to about an inch (which is useless).

Basiccally, sometimes one will fold all the way, then wont 5 seconds later, this can alternate between mirrors and Seat are replacing the o/s one which didn't work at first (now it does occasionally). There is no grinding or odd noises and if i 'help' the mirror by pushing it when i turn the knob to 6pm it will go all the way.

The only way i have found to make both go all the way up is flicking the 6pm mirror knob very slightly away from 6pm and then back again, this makes the mirrors go up to the top of their travel in very small increments.

Once again this site has been an amazing help and any suggestions on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated!

tissot

Jan 3, 2007
york
they might just be sticking...

mine did the same on my old one, but after both were replaced they were fine

it keep moaning at the garage to replace both and the switch.

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Does exactly the same on mine, was OK for first year I had it but then slowly got worse. Only happens on o/s one. I just put it down to sticking and figured one day I'd get round to lubing it up a bit! Until then, a slight push does the trick (when no one is looking of course ;) )

smithyjames

Just a quick update, got the o/s replaced today, works brilliantly. Only problem is that since Seat reset the parameters the n/s is being temperamental, better work on my Black Horse warranty!

croftyboy_8

you're problem might be sorted mate fingers crossed but i had a similar thin which i fixed using good ol' WD40. it seems if the mirror meets any resistance it stops, theremust have been some grit or grie in there but it was sorted with a quick blast.
also noticed the smae problem caused by ice / snow

smithyjames

I'll have a go with some WD40 tomorrow, will i have to take off the door card in order to gain access to it?

Cheers

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Mine had same problem - just had the motors done under warranty - work perfectly everytime now and much quieter/smoother

croftyboy_8

I'll have a go with some WD40 tomorrow, will i have to take off the door card in order to gain access to it?

Cheers

no mate, just spray into the groove where the mirror turns... quick squirt, job done. sounds like me in the sack lol ;)

wes_keo

wes
Nov 25, 2007
Burton Leonard, Harrogate
i had this problem with my mirrors, had to push the wing mirror up gently to close it and on the way back down it used to click. got replaced on warranty. think they just replace the mirror body, or thats what Seat were telling me.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.