Woes of the 1896 software upgrade

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
We have had the 1896 Software Update applied recently to our Leon FR 150 (delivered in November 2020) and have noticed a definite improvement over and above the 1672 software previously installed. Yes, it does a complete reset necessitating the re-registering of the car profiles etc but a small price to pay if things are better in terms of SOS errors etc. One thing which we are liaising with SEAT on is the reset (loss) of all of the map updates previously applied and we have encountered a few sat nav issues since the update. We just don't know if this is down to the 1896 upgrade itself or the older 19.7 map data that our car now has.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
We have had the 1896 Software Update applied recently to our Leon FR 150 (delivered in November 2020) and have noticed a definite improvement over and above the 1672 software previously installed. Yes, it does a complete reset necessitating the re-registering of the car profiles etc but a small price to pay if things are better in terms of SOS errors etc. One thing which we are liaising with SEAT on is the reset (loss) of all of the map updates previously applied and we have encountered a few sat nav issues since the update. We just don't know if this is down to the 1896 upgrade itself or the older 19.7 map data that our car now has.
Silly question, how do I find out which nav map version I have? Couldn't find it for love nor money!!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Awkward Turtle

Apr 22, 2022
I'm going to try the WIFI hotspot and see if i can log back into my profile, i have called them dealership and i'm booked in for 2 weeks time failing that.

I had the 1896 update from 1672 on 26th April - It was a '1 day thing' but the dealership actually had the car overnight and ready for 1pm the next day.

Be prepare they will be replacing airbag unit so i may take longer as this unit is on back order. In some cases 🆘 unit needs to be replaced too
Not all of the airbag modules get replaced. They're only replaced if the crash counter is higher than 0 (usually false recording, however some have already been crashed 🤯). This prevents the module from being updated and requires the replacement.

The vast majority of the time, they're not replaced

Last edited:
Reactions: KoNG
Mar 2, 2022
I had a phone call this evening saying my car will be ready to collect tomorrow. Dealership said something about one of the communication modules not 'communicating' correctly and that they were waiting to hear back from Seat how to fix it or whether it may need replacing? Far too techinical for me! I can only assume it is now sorted. It primarily went in for an aircon issue as I had no cold air con what so ever! Will be glad to have it back as it's been in since Thursday.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone know where the on screen error reports have gone to under 1896? You used to be able to access them by clicking on the petrol pump icon and selecting "reports". That option appears to have gone with v 1896. We've just experienced a load of error messages that came up as the system did an internal reboot and it would be good to photograph the reports to show the dealer.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi, does any one know how to put the shortcut to the startsop menu on the new version ?
You can’t on the new version. ☹️
I dare say removing the ability to have a shortcut to the stop/start menu is Seat’s way of trying to discourage owners from switching it off.

I dislike stop start 😠 and switching it off forms part of my normal engine starting procedure. Fortunately, I have a simple button in my VW (2020 Polo GTI+) to switch off stop/start, so it’s easy to do.

yaffa0

Jan 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, I will start another thread to see if any fellow hybrid owners have a definite answer to this
The "engine needs to run longer" message is normal behaviour of the ehybrid. It is stated in Erwin garage documents. The petrol engine needs to run every now and then for a longer time because it needs to remove water and other stuff from the engine pipelines to keep the engine in good condition. E10/95 Gazoline/petrol can have 10% of ethanol and ethanol has the habit of gathering water if it stays unused for a longer period of time. VAG has tried to mitigate this problem with a pressurised tanks in the ehybrid models. You have most likely noticed that you need to open the tank latch from inside the car so that it depressurises the tank before filling. That was not necessary with the mk3 petrol Leon ’cause the petrol was used all the time. Now if you just drive with electricity for weeks/months, the petrol in the tank goes eventually bad and hurts the engine. The engine needs also some running to be well lubricated etc.

Jun 28, 2022
I had the 1896 update today. And i had a lot of complaints:
When i started my leon fr, the maps weren't loading, full link is not available, couldn't load my profile, couldn't chose the distance between me and the car in front of me, can't select my drive profile ( sport, eco, etc...)

Does anyone else have these bugs?

When i started my leon fr, the maps weren't loading, full link is not available, couldn't load my profile, couldn't chose the distance between me and the car in front of me, can't select my drive profile ( sport, eco, etc...)

Did you go to a dealer for it?

Was you on 16xx to begin with?

If so, sounds like they haven't followed the TPI properly and they haven't bothered to do a feature restore. Meaning every protected feature will be disabled

You may also find they have to submit a request for an activation document for the predictive navigation data if your car was a particularly early build

Jul 7, 2022

I've had the update (1896) at the dealership today and have the exact same issue. I also have no Android Auto on top the the other issues. Did you get this fixed? If so, how? I've managed to load my profile, but still no Navigation, Drive Profile etc

Jul 6, 2022
I had these problems after collecting my car from the service. Seat held my car 8 days. Everything is fine today. I picked up the car and everything works. The only error is logging into the profile. I can't do that. I keep showing that this feature is not available.

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
I've had the update (1896) at the dealership today and have the exact same issue. I also have no Android Auto on top the the other issues. Did you get this fixed? If so, how? I've managed to load my profile, but still no Navigation, Drive Profile etc
When I had the update done at the dealer they came and told me that update went on ok but they have lost the sat nav, but then they come back to me 30mins later and said it’s sorted. They said it’s something to do with resetting the modules to let the car know of the new update. Don’t think you can fix you need to take back to the dealer as they have not followed the update properly.

x21_jaf

Aug 15, 2021
Has anyone still got the SOS error after the 1896 update and with the Telematic software updated to 0142 as well? Mine still has the issue and SEAT are replacing the wiring to the telematic unit (5 cables to replace) they have previously replaced the driver side speaker and replaced the SOS unit its self! They have also replaced the air bag.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
As a follow-up to a few months back, it looks like the 1896 update did stop the SOS error (no repeat since). However, our Sat Nav was reset to July 2019 (which we do not understand given we purchased the car in November 2020 other than this may be the absolute baseline version from which all updates accrue thereafter). The Sat Nav is now rubbish (does not recognise destinations, stops working 30 miles from our destination) which means we're have to default to using Waze via apple carplay. The dealer tells us there is absolutely nothing it can do to replace the lost map updates other than us re-subscribing to Seat and allowing the system to update itself all over again (which I'm guessing will take a very long time over the air). This seems ridiculous. Why can't the SEAT dealerships be able to update a customers Sat Nav to the latest version?

Did others who have had the 1896 update (from 1672) also lose all their map updates?

Deleted member 133570

As a follow-up to a few months back, it looks like the 1896 update did stop the SOS error (no repeat since). However, our Sat Nav was reset to July 2019 (which we do not understand given we purchased the car in November 2020 other than this may be the absolute baseline version from which all updates accrue thereafter). The Sat Nav is now rubbish (does not recognise destinations, stops working 30 miles from our destination) which means we're have to default to using Waze via apple carplay. The dealer tells us there is absolutely nothing it can do to replace the lost map updates other than us re-subscribing to Seat and allowing the system to update itself all over again (which I'm guessing will take a very long time over the air). This seems ridiculous. Why can't the SEAT dealerships be able to update a customers Sat Nav to the latest version?

Did others who have had the 1896 update (from 1672) also lose all their map updates?
Just checked my pre and post pics of the system info, no changes on sat nav version after the upgrade and now issue’s whatsoever since on 1896 (touch wood!). Mine was upgraded back inMarch.