How to - Change Brake Light Switch

Stan 24v

Apr 7, 2007
Blackpool
After plenty of searching, and reading of different links etc, I thought I'd write a quick guide and stick it all on here, as I did this this morning.

I have a 2003 LC, but when I called the dealer they needed the VIN code to ensure I was given the correct part. You'll see fromt the pics that the new part is considerably different to the old part.

Old part in my car (2003 LC) is 1J0 945 511E

New part for my car is 1C0945 511A RDW

I also did this blind, before I actually read any of the other guides around, so it may be slightly different.

Seat Leon Cupra – Brake Light Switch Replacement

Tools needed –
• 1 x Phillips Screwdriver (medium)
• 1 x Flat Blade Screwdriver (medium)
• 1 x T25 Torx Bit
• 1 x 2” Extension Bar
• 1 x Ratchet Handle
• 1 x Torch
Time taken – 30-45 mins

1. Remove the fuse panel from the side of the dash.

Fuse%20Panel.jpg

2. Identify all of the screws you need to remove. There are 7 x Torx head screws, and 2 x Philips heads screws in total. 4 x Torx screws in the fuse panel, and 3 on the underside. The 2 x Philips are located on the bonnet pull panel.

Under%20Dash%20Screws.jpg

Fuse%20Panel%20Screws.jpg

Left%20Hand%20Screws.jpg

Right%20Hand%20Screw.jpg

Bonnet%20Release.jpg

3. Start removing the lower dash screws (left to right). The first two screws are longer than the others.

4. Then remove the 2 x Philips on the bonnet pull handle.

5. Follow up by removing the screws in the fuse panel.

6. Once all screws are removed gently remove the lower half of the dash by pulling it down, and out towards you.

7. Once you have enough room to get your hands in, reach behind the light switch and remove the plug from the dimmer/headlight adjuster switch, and then the light pane switch.

8. Pull the dash out completely.

9. You should now be able to see the brake light switch.

Brake%20Light%20Switch.jpg

10. Twist it anti-clockwise until loose, then pull out of its socket.

Last edited:

Stan 24v

Apr 7, 2007
Blackpool
Continued...............

11. Remove the plug from the back of it.

Switches%20%28Side%29.jpg

Switches%20%28Front%29.jpg

Switches%20%28Back%29.jpg

12. Fit the plug into the new switch.

13. Place new switch into locating spigots and twist clockwise until locked into position.

14. AT THIS POINT TEST YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS!!!
15. Replace the dash in the opposite manner to how it was removed.

16. Take note of the locating points of the dash. Once they are lined up, the top of the dash will slot in, you can then push in the bottom, and fasten up the lower screw in the fuse panel to hold it in place.

Drivers%20Locator.jpg

Passenger%20side%20locators.jpg

Drivers%20Spigot.jpg

Passenger%20spigots.jpg

17. Once finished, you should have brake lights again :clap:

Reactions: psycho6285

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Not had to do this as yet, but that is a nice guide. :clap:

Could the mods please add this to the guides section?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
good guide

i changed mine recently, and noticed it was ALOT different to the original

we managed to get old one out and new on in without taking awt off, but to get the harness connected back to it we loosened the lower dash.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Good work.

I work for GSF and we get so many back of those switches back "faulty" as so many techs break them while fitting. We've had to issue fitting instructions to some places, but seeing it done properly shows its actually really easy to do! No reliability issues though!

jcfn

Many thanks.

I followed your guide and managed to get to the faulty brake light switch on my Mk2 Toledo. I removed the switch, opened it up and found no breakage or damage, replaced it and it started working again!

Incidentally, my Toledo (99V) has the older 2-pin switch which appears to be a simpler design compared with the 4-pin one.

FR Damo

After plenty of searching, and reading of different links etc, I thought I'd write a quick guide and stick it all on here, as I did this this morning.

I have a 2003 LC, but when I called the dealer they needed the VIN code to ensure I was given the correct part. You'll see fromt the pics that the new part is considerably different to the old part.

Old part in my car (2003 LC) is 1J0 945 511E

New part for my car is 1C0945 511A RDW

if i quote this 1C0945 511A RDW part number to my seat dealer i'll get the right part then yea

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Make sure the switch is set in the right position before you try to put it in or it will break. I forgot to check (2nd one I did, first one was already set right) and bust one. D'oh.

Just got one (well, two :( ) from GSF, the leon uses a black one (to replace a purple one), the Golf/Bora used a Green one (to replace a black one), but they all fit in the same way, brake lights work, so not sure its hyper critical to get exactly the right part number.

FR Damo

Make sure the switch is set in the right position before you try to put it in or it will break. I forgot to check (2nd one I did, first one was already set right) and bust one. D'oh.

Just got one (well, two :( ) from GSF, the leon uses a black one (to replace a purple one), the Golf/Bora used a Green one (to replace a black one), but they all fit in the same way, brake lights work, so not sure its hyper critical to get exactly the right part number.

Just called they have them in stock unsurprisingly :D

Stan 24v

Apr 7, 2007
Blackpool
You'll need your VIN if you ring SEAT to ensure you get the correct part. Its on the front of your windscreen anyway.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Brake lights work much better now, and suprisingly I don't seem to have anyone doing any late braking behind me OR skidding towards me whilst shouting words beginning with 'F' and 'B'

Lights come on as soon as I touch the brake pedal now, seems alot safer for vehicals behind me.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I've had to change at least 5 of these switches on my 99 mk2 Tolly. It would be good to get one that is built to a good standard. If anyone has any advice, that would be great.

When I had an Audi A3 the brakes went out and I didn't know much about cars at the time, so took it to a dealer. Cost £160! They told me it was £8 for the part but took a while to get to. My Hairy Buttocks it does. Last time I did it it took me less than 20 min's from start to finish.

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
Dam it, wished I'd seen this thread two days ago. The dealer just billed me £90 to fix this. It was this daft switch that was causing an intermittent fault, pre-heat warning light come on, and cruise control stops working.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.