How to - Change Brake Light Switch

downrodeo

Apr 12, 2009
West London
Quick question - my brake lights still work although the pedal does have to go a bit further down for them to come on - would this mean the switch is faulty and would this result in cruise control not working and the car not accelerating as well as it did before? Sometimes it completely loses power in first gear, while in general it seems to have lost a bit of torque. It's all happened today after I retrofitted CC. I think the brake pedal sensor may have been bashed around in refitting the trim or something.

When I run vag com and go to measuring block 6, the brake circuits f36 and f47 are permanently on 1, but the clutch is fine and is 0 when up and 1 when down.

Help?

chrisngcupra

Great guide here! Just had to change the brake light switch on my 02 LC today, fairly straight forward job really, bit awkward getting the screws from underneath the dash out but other than that no problem!

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
did mine today and didn't even see this guide, oops.
used this and also helpful as mentions that this part was a recall, at least in teh states.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315

easy enough job, but this guide is good after a read through

£8.81 inc vat for the GREEN D from VW dealership today at approx 0845

Part Numbers:
1J0 945 511A / 1J0945511A -> massive black one
1J0 945 511D / 1J0945511D -> smaller PURPLE
1C0 945 511A / 1C0945511A -> new GREEN to replace purple

Last edited:

squareballs

Brilliant post, fxed my own for less that £10! I owe you a pint!

mathewtaylor

thanks for the excellent tutorial -
the replacement part I got from my local car parts shop was the same cr@ppy design as the original and broke when I fitted it - something to be aware of if you havent already realised (there's instructions on the vwvortex forums on how to avoid this)

I managed to fix the original part by spraying it with WD40 and so far it seems to be working again!

Thanks again.:)

Aug 26, 2008
West Midlands
Been quoted £7.66 at my local TPS store, what part is best to get as they have them both in??!

Old part in my car (2004 LC) is 1J0 945 511E

New part for my car is 1C0945 511A RDW

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Just passing on the thanks.

Once again guys SCN helps out.

Noticed last night that my brake lights were not coming on all the time. Very annoying... and not too safe. Anyway had a search a found this sticky / post. Fantastic.

Started this at 9pm, tried to get the switch out without removing the dash, then afer 30mins of that decided sod it I'm taking the lower dash off.

I wasn't bad as I have done this before on the other side, anyway got the brake switch out and stripped it down, adjusted the spring and gave it a good spray with WD40. Refitted and as far as I am aware everything is now working again.

Oh the reason I didn't fit a new part is that I didn't fancy driving to work on the M8 without my brake lights this morning... and I thought I would try and fix it as it is a pretty simple piece of kit.

If it packs in again then I will fit the new style switch...

So many thanks again guys....

Last edited:

tonemeister

Spolier break light

Hi Stan...you obviously know what youre talking about so hope you dont mind if I ask...My rear spoiler break light doesnt work. Any Idea how I fix it? I havent a clue.
Any thoughts warmly welcomed.

CHeers

tonemeister

Thanks CAP R 225. appreciate the advice. The break lights work just not the spoiler light. Cheers for your time.

Deleted member 28319

Great guide

What a great guide. My brake switch stopped working over the easter weekend but luckily a Eurocar parts place has recently opened near me (15 mins walk) and it was open on Easter monday. I'm no mechanic by a long shot but with the help of this guide 45 mins later the problem was all fixed saving me about £80.:D:D

beechey

Feb 6, 2010
coventry
good guide gonna attempt this tomorrow been broke for about 2 weeks lol been turning the lights on and off every time i brake when a car is behind

Kedge

Dec 3, 2008
Need to change my brake light switch, all seems to be ok in terms of the brake lights coming on but VAG COM reports a fault against it.

Mines a Mk1 Leon TDI FR 150, will this have a 4 pin plug or is there no way to tell without removing it?

cpt_daveman

Just wanted to say you saved me 60 GBP easy, superb guide! I went to a main dealer and got the part for 15 GBP then in about half an hour got the part swapped out by following your guide and sorted.

Nice one.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise