Moi's '95 Mk2 Ibiza now GONE!

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Hey all I'm Llyr, Welsh - from Wales - love rain - a fan of sheep blah blah blah. So after that hilarious introduction I shall move onto my car... ;).

I drive a 1.4 CLS '96 SEAT Ibiza Mk2, Tornado Red (Y3D) - (which they NEVER seem to sell in Halfords off the shelf) 3dr at the moment, and will hopefully buy myself a decent GTi when I go to uni in 2010. So will transfer most of these mods to the GTi eventually.

I have had the Beezer for just over a year now... and yes - the relationship with it has been a little stormy at times but overall a pretty good one at that!. Clutch cable stretched and eventually snapped during July '08, which was rather embarrassing to say the least - but managed to park on the side of the kerb.

Since then - a new clutch has been fitted, cable, a new gearbox too, a distrubutor and a full respray minus the bonnet and boot... and roof.

SeatIbiza011.jpg

...I am hoping to modify it to a nice standard - so I thought I'd start the thread now and just show some silly jobs done so far.

Recently purchased some 16" Ronal White alloys (many thanks to Skot (GtiBoy)), and they will be fitted a.s.a.p

A spoiler has also been purchased - some time ago now, but I didn't want to fit it until there were some alloys on the car.

Interior (for some reason) has been my focus up to now, as you can see from the pics;

Centre Console surround fascia looked rather dull imo. (Also fitted a centre console too from a GTi);
DSC07506.jpg

Courtesy Light;
DSC07505.jpg

Speedometre surround (With new White Clocks too - The Big Ben clock didn't really do it for me);
IMG_0129.jpg

...neither did the standard orange lighting;
IMG_0135.jpg

Alloys were fitted onto the front - "Just to see how they looked on the car", 2 tyres being fitted for the rear alloys a.s.a.p;
DSC07028.jpg

Facelifted bumpers are also on the menu, and so are a set of coilovers - 30mm maybe?

I keep the body as good as I can, clean her every week - polish and wax with Simoniz every month if it's nice etc.

Unfortuantley - after a year of keeping my paintwork very clean and shiney, some careless individuals get their kicks from stratching on another's cars, and sadly don't admit to it, leave a note etc;

DSC07489.jpg

Any comments good or bad with my progress up to now would be much appreciated... any suggestions etc.

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Nerve racking or what!...
DSC07490.jpg

DSC07491.jpg

Appreciate some feedback a.s.a.p on this... how am I doing so far. (It's filler primer by the way...)
DSC07495.jpg

Rear Window (bottom of the boot window)
DSC07498.jpg

DSC07501.jpg

Doorsill - getting it done before it worstened, want to stick on some Ibiza sills on there soon;
DSC07502.jpg

Side skirts, before I get some Cupra skirts, need them looking decent and not to rust away like a lot are prone on doing... espec. the arches in some cases;
DSC07509.jpg

Primed boot;
DSC07512.jpg

(01-06-09)

M4TTYF

V.A.G. for life
May 28, 2008
hadfield glossop
doing a good job there mate looks a dam site better than mine at the minute mind im having alot of replacement parts fitted to get it up to standard before i start to mod it but yours is looking fab well done wish i had the time and money to sort my paint work out but sadly dont oh well keep us posted on your progress

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
thanks mate... yeah it's not bad - could be worse I guess ha. At least I have a decent-ish base to wrok upon anyway... Like the colour of yours... unusual! :)

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
wooo, you finally made a thread ;)....looking good so far,
which spoiler did you get, 8v or 16v? you getting it colour coded?

you can get y3d paint in halfords, its under VW not Seat ;)

btw how did you get the coutesy light out to paint?

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Arun - pretty easy with the courtesy light, it's a matter of sticking in a flat head screwdriver, and carefully yanking it out gently... from the drivers side given the the switches are pointing nearer to the windscreen, otherwise you'll make a mess of it. Only one fitting bends to bring it out. Then I basically pushed everything out of it, the circuit board, switches, all come out easily with a little push... :)

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
hmm well - the switch on your standard one seems to be a little stiff actually... just tried it. mine's from a GTi... ( with a map light and delay etc. nothing amazing :p )

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Nice to see your doing some body work, I did alot on my first car.

Are you using etch primer on the bare metal? Also spend some decent time on the prep, make sure everythings smooth or the top coat will show it all up. Theres alot of decent body work guides about.

You going for some big bumpers? Find some from a 96 gti, they fit strait on and are a little different.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
thanks Jenk!... yeah I'd like some guides, do you have any links? Nah I've used filler primer :S... it said it was suitable for bare metal... oops :S... have I gone wrong? It's a hellova kerfuffle! lol, nervous doing it too! I dont understand how you fill in the scratch though... there's always a dip where the paint finishes and comes down to the primer and metal? :S

M4TTYF

V.A.G. for life
May 28, 2008
hadfield glossop
i wouldnt worry about using filler primer but if your worried try doing one area to a full finish and if it looks wrong then start again and think to yourself how lucky you are not to have done them all before you figure out that they dont look right btw i know mines unusual but thats a big problem as no one does rattle cans in that colour

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Your car looks good mate. Can tell that you look after it.

I like what you have done on the inside of the car. What type of paint did you use?? And what preperation did you do to the plastics? Im seriously tempted to do all mine in gloss black to match my headunit.

wooo, you finally made a thread ;)....looking good so far,
which spoiler did you get, 8v or 16v? you getting it colour coded?

you can get y3d paint in halfords, its under VW not Seat ;)

btw how did you get the coutesy light out to paint?

I was about to say that about the paint, its the same with Alpine White, you have to look under VW to get it.

thanks Jenk!... yeah I'd like some guides, do you have any links? Nah I've used filler primer :S... it said it was suitable for bare metal... oops :S... have I gone wrong? It's a hellova kerfuffle! lol, nervous doing it too! I dont understand how you fill in the scratch though... there's always a dip where the paint finishes and comes down to the primer and metal? :S

Im wondering the same thing about filling in the scratch, I have a bit on mine i need to fix properly but struggle everytime to get it level with the paint around it.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
when I repaired my scratch I used body filler from halfords (came in a blue tube with a piece of plastic to apply it with, filled the scratch bit by bit and sanded it down... then used the standard halfords primer and then painted, came out pretty smooth...

if the scratch is quite deep you can get this really thin aluminium mesh from halfords to put over it and then fill it....

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
thanks cruiser87! Yeah I try to anyway! :)

I used standard cans of Primer from halfords, and I use Appliance Gloss then to finish it, it's good that way - cos I didnt need to laquer it after 2 coats of gloss really, which made it easier I guess? Yeah that sounds awesome mate! Was gonna do that in my car, white and then Gloss Black for the switches, knobs etc (heater knobs for example).

As for the paint in Halfords - I'll look again... I kinda briefly glanced at it yesterday and thought "naah that's waay off" and proceeded to squot search for it... LOL

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Cruiser87 - think you'll find exactly the same cans in Gloss Black too!... Think I've seen them next to my white purchases...

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Right - I've been sanding for about 4 hours today - the scratch is still there, and I have learnt since then that I probably need to fill it to bring it up to the paint level. The arches needed doing too, so I put on a brave face and proceeded with my sanding. I was a little cautios at first, masked the whole area and tried my best to avoid tampering with the year old respray.

The arches however - weren't in that good condition - so I wanted to re-do them. Some pics as follows...

DSC07521.jpg

DSC07522.jpg

DSC07524.jpg

After a few hours I manages to come down to some primer / bare metal as shown below;
DSC07526.jpg

DSC07529.jpg

...then stuck newspaper everywhere to stop any overspray of the yellow filler primer! :happy:
DSC07530.jpg

DSC07531.jpg

First coat of primer went on, the inside of my arches are pretty dirty, but not dusty - so I didn't bother covering them, I gathered that a scrubbing brush and a hosepipe will probably wash off any of the overspray. If not then I'll clean the arches and let the Tornado red overspray cover it.

Pretty happy with the first coat, although - some filler would be nice at the bottom of the skirt;
DSC07534.jpg

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Filler primer worked a treat tbh. Let's hope it provides a good key anyway!;
DSC07535.jpg

Must say - this yellow primer was proving to be rather tempting to say the least! (as a colour) :p
DSC07540.jpg

DSC07542.jpg

That's what I've managed to do up to now anyway...

This is a pic of before ;-
DSC07537.jpg

02-06-09

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
goog job so far, I thought you going to do the whole panel... that why I said don't do it lol....how much was your full car respray?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Its Craig btw, I keep meaning to get my username changed.

Where did you get your appliance paint from??

Think the next time im in halfords I will have a look for the filler stuff that was suggested in the blue tube. It aint a scratch I have tho, its abit that has been caught by someone as I have 2 small dents along the rear panel on the passenger side and some of the paint has came off by the rear arch. Its right down to the metal :cry:

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Craig, if they're dents you could this dent kit you can get in halfords, you can use to repair dents on your body work....but if they're tiny dents I'm not sure it would work very well, worth a try though.....
but the mesh and filler will work....

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
They are 2 of those really long thin ones, I had a bigger one but I managed to get the majority of that pulled out with a dent puller thing.

I think I will get away with just the filler as there arent as many layers of paint on a white car as some other colours.

Got quite a few bits that need fixed. :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.