P1040372.jpg

P1040379-1.jpg

P1040375.jpg

P1040359.jpg

Last edited:

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Very nice Dave, I've been reading a lot about the R1R tyres recently, I'd be interested to know what you make of them. Reviews I've read suggest they are softer than r888s and work better in the rain than the r888; but can overheat quicker; I imagine this is all car dependant though and much of what I have read has been on Lotus forums so perhaps not that relevant!

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
As dave isn't online, they are jacking points from awesome gti that fit in existing holes in the "chassis".

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
As dave isn't online, they are jacking points from awesome gti that fit in existing holes in the "chassis".

Yep, popped them in today. Easy. :cartman:

As it was a fine day and I thought I had time, I decided to swap my front suspension over, to replace wishbones, hub carriers and arb. Flipping cold out there!

Anyway, I figured the problem area was likely to be track rods (as whenever they do my tracking, they seem to need to get the oxyacetalene torch out.) I started on the passenger side and after a squirt of shock-and-release, the locknut came undone pretty easily. In fact the locknut was stuck on the rod and I managed to wind the rod all the way out of the track rod end. :cartman:

Lulled into a false sense of security, instead of tackling the offside track rod, I stripped the passengers side right back to strut and driveshaft. The trackrod end allen key hole disintegrated so I couldn't remove it. I hadn't bought new trackrod ends but I thought I'd get some on Monday.

I moved to the offside and the locknut on the trackrod was solid. I dug out a gas blowlamp and eventually managed to move the locknut a couple of turns on the trackrod. The trackrod wouldn't turn like the offside though. I decided to undo the trackrod end balljoint to wind it of the rod. Got the nut undone quite a way but then the allen hole gave in. I left it there. I guess I'm going to have to try a nut splitter to release the rod end from the hub carrier.......... Ho hum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Yep, popped them in today. Easy. :cartman:

As it was a fine day and I thought I had time, I decided to swap my front suspension over, to replace wishbones, hub carriers and arb. Flipping cold out there!

Anyway, I figured the problem area was likely to be track rods (as whenever they do my tracking, they seem to need to get the oxyacetalene torch out.) I started on the passenger side and after a squirt of shock-and-release, the locknut came undone pretty easily. In fact the locknut was stuck on the rod and I managed to wind the rod all the way out of the track rod end. :cartman:

Lulled into a false sense of security, instead of tackling the offside track rod, I stripped the passengers side right back to strut and driveshaft. The trackrod end allen key hole disintegrated so I couldn't remove it. I hadn't bought new trackrod ends but I thought I'd get some on Monday.

I moved to the offside and the locknut on the trackrod was solid. I dug out a gas blowlamp and eventually managed to move the locknut a couple of turns on the trackrod. The trackrod wouldn't turn like the offside though. I decided to undo the trackrod end balljoint to wind it of the rod. Got the nut undone quite a way but then the allen hole gave in. I left it there. I guess I'm going to have to try a nut splitter to release the rod end fron the hun carrier.......... Ho hum. :rolleyes:

Dave; is this the allen headed bolt that goes vertically through the track-rod end into the hub assembly with the lock-nut on the end?

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Tyres look very cool, let us know how they perform when you fit them ;)

How long did it take to put the jacking points on? Can you still get a trolley jack under your car comfortably?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Tyres look very cool, let us know how they perform when you fit them ;)

How long did it take to put the jacking points on? Can you still get a trolley jack under your car comfortably?

I will. :)

2 minutes per set for the jacking points. I have a low entry jack, but I can't get it in without driving the car up onto ramps first (or onto emergency blocks of wood carried in the boot)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
if you put a second jack under the track rod end and apply enough pressure to get sufficient friction in the tapered connection between the track rod end and hub assembly you might be able to undo it. This is how I got mine off in the end!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

£100 (at discount) for this little lot! about 25% of it (inc topmounts) is for KiwiCupra. I was just making up what was for what.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't asked Mrs DPJ to collect (and pay) for them.... :whistle:

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.