Had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windscreen this morning.

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast
not ithis is a stupid question

Had the car out for a run, up to normal temp (half way on gauge) Brough it home left ideling on drive to blow heat at feet to dry carpet. I left it for 10 minsm and the temp had dropped to the bottom again. Down to 50. Is that normal ?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
not ithis is a stupid question

Had the car out for a run, up to normal temp (half way on gauge) Brough it home left ideling on drive to blow heat at feet to dry carpet. I left it for 10 minsm and the temp had dropped to the bottom again. Down to 50. Is that normal ?

nope. should rise to 90C and stay there (within a couple of degrees).

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Depends how cold it is.
When you have the heater on you are removing heat from the engine. The colder it is the less chance of it keeping the temperature.

Mine drops a bit when it's 4° or less.
My wife's 57 Polo drops around 20-30° if running it with the heaters on full while stationary in similar ambient temperatures.

xhellixx

Jul 27, 2009
Blackpool
www.myspace.com
Ive just taken to pouring 2litres of warm water on the screen every morning (using the best tool of a milk bottle) ... melts the outside and the inside at the same time.

sudden temp change cant be good for the windscreen...but im not sitting for 30 mins waiting for it to clear or scraping it off so it looks like it's been snowing on the inside!!

I love this car...but I'm seriously considering selling it.. what good is a car when you can't use it in the winter!!?!

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
Ive just taken to pouring 2litres of warm water on the screen every morning (using the best tool of a milk bottle) ... melts the outside and the inside at the same time.

sudden temp change cant be good for the windscreen...but im not sitting for 30 mins waiting for it to clear or scraping it off so it looks like it's been snowing on the inside!!

I love this car...but I'm seriously considering selling it.. what good is a car when you can't use it in the winter!!?!

I know what your saying one of reasons I am wanting to sell mine ice on inside silly, makes me slightly late for work and I am not altering my routine just for something that shouldn't happen [:@] :D

I think although I might have found the cause but not looked into it properly yet. I had a look at my pollen filter yesterday the cover was not on properly only 1 clip holding it on and that was broke took cover of to find a big puddle of water inside (should there be?) so gonna try fix cover and make sure filter is fitted properly. I noticed trickling of water coming into passenger side at bottom of door so from what I gather either this pollen filter or the actual door seal thats screwed.

You should check those out yourself never know :)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The BMW 1 Series suffers a water ingress problem due to ill fitting pollen filter and on quite a few occasions it has been the dealer that has not refitted it correctly [:@]

For ice to form on the windscreeen inside there must be a source of moisture and as has been suggested a moisture absorber may do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTERNAL-DEHU...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item4cedc64e56

Mine will be stored in the gargae less the occasions in the winter I am on a late shift and cming out to an internal ice rink in the early hours!! Maybe they have improved things on the FL version????

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
The BMW 1 Series suffers a water ingress problem due to ill fitting pollen filter and on quite a few occasions it has been the dealer that has not refitted it correctly [:@]

For ice to form on the windscreeen inside there must be a source of moisture and as has been suggested a moisture absorber may do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTERNAL-DEHU...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item4cedc64e56

Mine will be stored in the gargae less the occasions in the winter I am on a late shift and cming out to an internal ice rink in the early hours!! Maybe they have improved things on the FL version????

I tried the dehumidifier and it did naff all for me still getting ice on inside on numerous mornings :confused::cry:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I tried the dehumidifier and it did naff all for me still getting ice on inside on numerous mornings :confused::cry:

That's a shame there must be a tecnical reason for this to happen as I have never seen or heard of it on any other car? :shrug:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Does anyone know the Seat technical notice bulletin number? It's on this site somewhere but I can't find it!

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
As said the windscreen freezes up on the inside due to the presence of moisture.

I had this problem but I bought a de humidifier bag off ebay, its left under the passsenger seat & ice not had a problem since

Go on ebay and search for:

Thomar air dry - 1kg re useable de humidifier

£11.78 with free delivery.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
I got this de humidifyer and works well, no ice inside when it got very cold again and no moisture at all. Best buy!

i bought the german one and my deutsch is a little rusty, anyone kno how i heat this badboy up safely so i can re use it?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.