Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

slyce

I don't have much issues doing that, just not sure what the best thing to use is and how much behind the panel needs to be done?

slyce

Beautiful.....nice one Lee!! Looks like time for eBay and ready to go if I get the tape quick! :-D

roolaing

Superb guide

Felt I had to register just to say thanks for the guide in fixing the leaks.

I am not a car guy, or much of a diy'er, so I can testify that the guide on p33 is fool proof!

I followed it to the letter and seen to have managed it - I'll tell you tomorrow once the rain comes, as it's sure to!

Total nightmare finding a dry place though, had to buy a tarpaulin and hang it from the porch to garage door. (Our garage isn't wide enough and has too much junk!)

I would add that if you've got an old leon like me, you need the star ended screwdriver to get the front door cards off as there are two screws on the bottom, hard to see at first!

Anyway, for those attempting this in 2014 with the rain at the moment, I'd advise a tarpaulin, or garage.

Here's hoping the puddles in my footwells are gone tomorrow!

Cheers

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
Hey guys, got the butyl seal come through today, its the 6mmx8m jobbie

Just wondering though, have I bought the right size as its seems a bit 'thin' are you meant to flatten it down a bit to increase width coverage or just apply it as it is and once the carrier is tightened back on it will press itself where needed?

roolaing

That's the same butyl I got.

When working with it you'll find it pretty maluable and it tends to squidge when you apply the force needed to screw in the door card.

After a night of heavy rain mine seems to have held up fine despite the squidging!:rolleyes:

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
That's the same butyl I got.

When working with it you'll find it pretty maluable and it tends to squidge when you apply the force needed to screw in the door card.

After a night of heavy rain mine seems to have held up fine despite the squidging!:rolleyes:

Nice one, cheers mate

Good work on the tarpaulin btw, lot more effort than most people would, kudos [B)]

dj_jalland

Jan 30, 2014
Sogot a Seatt leon a week ago i knew are there was some damp in the back foot well i tried to wet vac it out but had no luck i removed all the trim front and back all the seats lifted the carpet up 2 find a hell of a lot of water both sides front and back the underlay carpet was full with water front and back the underlay carpet behind the dash driver side under the dash was dry but the underlay carpet up behind the dash passenger side was wet i checked the pollen filter box and it felt stuck down but i pulled it off and it looks dry i'm a bit stuck for were the water came from behind the dash passenger side as i think the rest of the water might of come from the door seals an help would be great

dj_jalland

Jan 30, 2014
( IF ) the door seals are letting the water in....... why is the under lay wet all the way under the passanger side dash is it wet ..but drivers side under dash is dry any help ???

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
3 entry points for the water

1 door carrier seals if so replace using this guide http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3255713#post3255713

2 wiring box under the drivers side scuttle, wipers need to be removed remove the nut and pour boiling water over the area the nuts were something magic happens and then put the wipers vertical and wiggle them off

3 pollen filter, either the cover is not on right, or the actual casing seal as worn, seat use the same shite seal for the all the points water can enter.

dj_jalland

Jan 30, 2014
Took carpets the lot out to dry took 3 hours to dry them there was that much water the underlay was under water lol

dj_jalland

Jan 30, 2014
Thank you lee I have dried out all of the interior now just got to seal all the doors and seal the bulkhead Then start fixing the other faults ie

Gear box whining

Only blowing hot air out of heaters

Oil leaking might be cam cover might be valve timing unit

534N

May 26, 2013
welshpool
Thank you lee I have dried out all of the interior now just got to seal all the doors and seal the bulkhead Then start fixing the other faults ie

Gear box whining

Only blowing hot air out of heaters

Oil leaking might be cam cover might be valve timing unit

Gearbox whining is that only in 3rd??
Mine does the same do you know how to fix?
I read on here its a common problem and nothing to worrie about

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.