Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Before I follow the steps just one question comes to mind.

Can I clone the sd card either using Windows or Linux before altering it?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

You can only fully clone it with Linux / Ubunto etc. I would not bother. Just take a normal directory copy of it, the CID is out of range of normal file management procedures so you won't delete it or corrupt it, it stays put. More chance of that using Linux / Ubunto copy and write CID tools which are on the net. Only specific old SD cards allow you to write the CID in anycase but probably the card in the car is one of those.

It is important to copy the normal contents of the card since you need one file off it, which you need to keep in a safe place. Thats your back up. CID doesn't get copied. If you loose the original overall.nds file you have to down load the exact copy of what is currently on the serial release of the card. Only twice on the thread have people got in a pickle on the mib2 standard by either not taking a copy or loosing the backup.

Last edited:

lfc84

Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the replies. The update was successful. I really appreciate the help

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

PeterPetrus

Feb 13, 2019
Hi all , after i update my mib 2 to last maps 1310 i can not see what version i have but maps are working . When i format the sd card i chose NTFS not FAT32 . Any idea why i can not see what version of maps i have ? Thank you

Attachments

• 66182069_644357829398755_1953416495623045120_n.jpg
    66182069_644357829398755_1953416495623045120_n.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 246

Tell

Staff member
Should be formatted in Fat32 although not sure it would be that, but it should be in Fat32.

The general info screen I would think would give you something:

● Press the Infotainment MENU button and
then select Setup .

● In the System settings menu, press the
System information function button.

Tell

Staff member
Mind you he would have rebooted if he followed the instructions ;). I have seen the standard screen in navigation displaced where a reboot fixed it.

The infotainment system is running QNX a form of Unix, expects Fat32 on what it reads on the SD card, part of the systems spec etc... why you are suppose to stick to Fat32. 7zip and Fat32, a PC and you can't go wrong. Mac's you have to run the programs and utilities that delete the rubbish that gets put in by the Mac file structure.

Where people get issues is reformatting the card changing the sector size in fat32 so they cant get all of the maps on the card. So you don't change what it's set at or file system. Just do a reformat if you can't wait for it to delete all. Don't change the file scheme.

My bookmark on QNX used in the VAG system for anyone who wants to read the technical stuff.

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.6.0.update/#com.qnx.doc.car.nav/topic/bookset.html

Last edited:

lfc84

Jul 23, 2018
At the risk of teaching more the knowledgeable people here how to suck eggs - here's the notes I made from earlier posts with some slight revision for use in the future:
  1. Download the latest uk map - http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1310_V11.7z
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to laptop
  6. copy and paste all contents to pc
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. edited the /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt so that PartNumber4 correctly has my own part number in it, that is I replaced PartNumber4 from PartNumber4="5F...." to PartNumber4="6P0919866AB"
  11. using windows file explorer, eject the sd card
  12. now i can safely remove the sd card from the laptop
  13. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  14. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  15. power on and go to navigation

Tell

Staff member
At the risk of teaching more the knowledgeable people here how to suck eggs - here's the notes I made from earlier posts with some slight revision for use in the future:
  1. Download the latest uk map - http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1310_V11.7z
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to laptop
  6. copy and paste all contents to pc
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. edited the /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt so that PartNumber4 correctly has my own part number in it, that is I replaced PartNumber4 from PartNumber4="5F...." to PartNumber4="6P0919866AB"
  11. using windows file explorer, eject the sd card
  12. now i can safely remove the sd card from the laptop
  13. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  14. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  15. power on and go to navigation

10. Optional :). You can preserve your existing part number and map year if you so wish purely for display purposes on the settings info screen. That is using Notepad if you do to avoid any illegal word processing related text characters getting in if you use Word etc which the unit may stumble on.

People always like to use their own special sauce which can sometimes give it a funny taste. The ebay card swapping one is the worste since they like to preserve the original card but find somehow they find it's stopped working but the new one works fine after writing the new maps which destroys the object of preserving the old card. That one is a weird upgrade but pointless.

Exciter should be credited with the original special sauce:). It hasn't changed in 30 months only the map sources which are issued across Vag sites June and November. Your 1.

Ntfs issue suspect was related to using a Mac or Ubunto one suspects or the general idea that it's better than Fat32. Stick to Fat32 and don't mess with the sector size.

8. Should mention 7zip the VW preferred free PC software tool. Others can cause issues. You unzip to HD first, it's faster then copy to SD. You drag and drop out of the archive, right clicking on the zip file and picking 7 zip, open archive.

7 zip can be obtained from

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

The Mac VW solution to 8
. are covered at the bottom of their PDF listed on their website although other ones mentioned on the thread work. That's in the VW 2018 PDF "Discover Media Gen.2 (PQ) Map material update" which also mentions Fat32 as the only format for the SD card.

"ATTENTION

If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files."

There are other Mac solutions to CleanMyDrive and the unzipping program but that's what they recommend.

Recent post on a German Skoda board covers the process for MAC users but doesn't mention CleanMyDrive (probably not required in this instance):

1) Prevent automatic opening of packed files in Safari (Settings -> General -> check the box next to "Open secure" files after loading <<)
2) Download the map package from the Skoda Update Portal
3) delete data on original Skoda SD card (via Finder all files / folders in the trash and then empty this)
4) Unpack package via free program "Keka" directly to SD card (could take some time)

Then you obviously copy back the Overall.NDS file as per the instructions above.

& lastly on Fat32 PC or MAC VW says

"
Preparing the SD-CDA card
• Push the switch on the SD-CDA card to “Unlock”. Now insert the SD-CDA card into your
computer should it not yet be in your computer due to file backup.
• Delete all files on the SD-CDA card or reformat your SD-CDA card. It is imperative that the card is formatted as a FAT32 partition.
"

The standard process is contained in the PDF, the workaround interfaces with that process to get round the issue of non availability of Mapcare where that is an issue.

The exception in the download file links are the Skoda ones that can optionally call a down load manager Exe file if they are setup to call it which carries out the unzipping process direct to SD card. That's works on a PC - assume it is good for MAC use. If you have one of these links you can see the download manager being called other than that it's just a standard download file.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maypack and lfc84
Jan 15, 2019
Austria
Hi,
firstly there is SHA1 hash in psf files not old MD5 and
MIB1 is not paired with hash but with version in map files.
If you change version in files computed hash will be different from one in signature and
MIB unit reject map files. There is needed completly rebuild signatures but it is possible only with correct private key (I dont know original private key for signing map files) My developed soft is rebuilding map files but I am using my own generated keys so without patching fw (for new keys) it isnt possible to run new map files. But for patching firmware is needed access to file system and mib1 std. dont have any open port for access. So there is needed additional hw and soldering skills for unlocking access to file system.

I can repair all bricked, cp locked seat MIB1 std. or only unlock new maps on it but only with direct access to mib unit. So you can come to me with your car or send mib unit.
Not true that no any open port for access,

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/connected-car/success-to-hack-technisat-mib2-t3584185

Tell

Staff member

That one dates back to when Explorer was working on his business proposition of taking £800 or so mib1 standard units having them sent to his address in East Europe for modding. Risky business if you dont know the person. He vanished 15 months ago on the thread. I don't think anybody took him up on it. There are no DIY mib1 standard solutions to knowledge.

Adamskifresh

May 11, 2019
Cambs
Been reading up a bit on the net and was wondering if anyone had ever managed to get a camera database working?It's prob been discussed before but wondered where folks are with this?

Adamskifresh

May 11, 2019
Cambs
Been reading up a bit on the net and was wondering if anyone had ever managed to get a camera database working?It's prob been discussed before but wondered where folks are with this?

Tell

Staff member

If you mean speed cameras then this:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

As long as you haven't got a my19 standard mib2, see post 69 on that thread. You can check the part number for that. Seat messed up the import part of the firmware for my19 mib2 standard - only the my19 standard with WiFi, without Wi-Fi or plus ok for that year. No other issues with other years before.

VW pulled the webpage that allowed you to import your own POIs but Radas program allows you to do that, substitutes for the web based method. There are some script based tools out there as well. Haven't tried them thou.

Then there are some commercial and freebie upload files for mib2. The issue with those is that whilst fixed camera location are published, mobile ones aren't. The Gpsworld speedcamera ones I link to in that thread use crowd sourcing to report the mobile camera locations so you get coverage of those. Published databases won't have these in. You can't import those either if you are affected by the my19 standard Wi-Fi issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamskifresh

Tell

Staff member
FYI google maps are now showing speed cameras in the uk.

They will be the fixed published type not the mobile ones unless they are sourced from Waze ?. Waze ones are reports which presumably have a time period when they disappear again. The GPSWorld mobile ones get deleted off six months later after validation if not re-reported. Reckon that's more sticky than Waze ones.

Last edited:

Adamskifresh

May 11, 2019
Cambs
If you mean speed cameras then this:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

As long as you haven't got a my19 standard mib2, see post 69 on that thread. You can check the part number for that. Seat messed up the import part of the firmware for my19 mib2 standard - only the my19 standard with WiFi, without Wi-Fi or plus ok for that year. No other issues with other years before.

VW pulled the webpage that allowed you to import your own POIs but Radas program allows you to do that, substitutes for the web based method. There are some script based tools out there as well. Haven't tried them thou.

Then there are some commercial and freebie upload files for mib2. The issue with those is that whilst fixed camera location are published, mobile ones aren't. The Gpsworld speedcamera ones I link to in that thread use crowd sourcing to report the mobile camera locations so you get coverage of those. Published databases won't have these in. You can't import those either if you are affected by the my19 standard Wi-Fi issue.

WOW!
Cheers but I think I will leave well alone.Looks complicated!

Reactions: Tell

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
It's quite straightforward once set up. There are other people on the thread that use Poinspector, Radas' program. That's how you import other POIs and your own ones.

As @Tell says it is pretty straightforward. I use the same method and update my cameras a lot. Proved very helpful driving down to the National Meet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bedlam and Tell
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members