How to upgrade to a double din radio

Mar 28, 2019
Hi all,
I’ve a 2009 mk2 Leon pre facelift very basic model
Was looking to upgrade to a double din that’ll allow use with apple play. What radio, fascia and wiring looms do I need, have multifunctional steering wheel and want to be able to use it to control the radio
Thanks

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
The cables you need totally depends on what model headunit you decide to buy.

You've gotta have a look around and decide on what your budget is.

Mar 28, 2019
The cables you need totally depends on what model headunit you decide to buy.

You've gotta have a look around and decide on what your budget is.
Was thinking of getting the 520WGNR04 but not sure how well it works with the leon. Looking to spend €250 at most

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
There are a lot of reports on these HU's from China going pear shaped after a few months of use. Is there anybody run one for a year or two without issues?

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
There are a lot of reports on these HU's from China going pear shaped after a few months of use. Is there anybody run one for a year or two without issues?
Yes, I am on my second, my first was an Xtrons 9" that ran Android 6 which I replaced with an Erisin 9" Android 9 unit that I could see had significant upgrades. The Xtrons didn't fail or break, the main issue it had was the hardware reset was initially a pain until I fitted an inline hardware switch. The reason for the reset being required is from what I can tell the curious VW family habit of making most lives permanently on.
I really struggle with people who rubbish the Android units whilst apparently being happy with the OEM junk that I simply would not pay £50 for with the tiny screens, abysmal design and second mortgage to update the GPS maps.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yes I really want an Android HU as it gives so much more than OEM versions, but kind of put off by the regular comments that they will freeze, reset it drain the battery

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I had one in my old Ibiza, I needed to change the permanent and switched live over on my adaptor cable as it wasn't wired correctly.

After that it ran fine and was pretty stable.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.