Sourcing rear back seat lock mech

CupraMA

Dec 4, 2016
Hi all

My Cupra R mk1 225 has failed it's MOT on the rear back seat lock mechanism. My local garage has contact Seat and tried various car parts shops but can't source one. Does anyone know where I could buy one? Failing that, does anyone have a part number? Finally if I'm unable to source one, would one from say a VW mk4 golf fit? Many thanks in advance.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Hi all

My Cupra R mk1 225 has failed it's MOT on the rear back seat lock mechanism. My local garage has contact Seat and tried various car parts shops but can't source one. Does anyone know where I could buy one? Failing that, does anyone have a part number? Finally if I'm unable to source one, would one from say a VW mk4 golf fit? Many thanks in advance.

Do you know exactly what caused it to fail? Seat belt? Seat back not locking in place

My memory is a little hazy as it was a few years ago, but these are a bit of a nightmare. If the seat back won't lock in place, you may need to replace the pull lever. Other times, the bit at the bottom where it connects to the base can bend.

It might even be worth buying a second hand set of rear seats. There are loads of things that can go wrong - ask me how I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi all

Message a user on here called Thai-Wronghorse. He breaks a lot of leons and quite possibly has one. You may need to have made 15 posts first to unlock the messaging feature though (stops spammers etc). https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?members/thai-wronghorse.103110/

Other than that you will probably find the part number on this diagram.
http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...885/subcategory/885070/part_id/1400075/lang/e
Not sure about the golf tbh, the interiors often have differences but you may get lucky. I know the dash and other bits of the interior are actually carbon copies of the Audi A3 from the same era, so that may be more a more likely of an option than the golf. The same site i linked above also has the part numbers for the golf and audi, so you should be able to cross reference them.

CupraMA

Dec 4, 2016
Yeah the back seat isn't locking into place. Alongside that the middle seat belt isn't functioning, I assume because of it?

Do you know exactly what caused it to fail? Seat belt? Seat back not locking in place

My memory is a little hazy as it was a few years ago, but these are a bit of a nightmare. If the seat back won't lock in place, you may need to replace the pull lever. Other times, the bit at the bottom where it connects to the base can bend.

It might even be worth buying a second hand set of rear seats. There are loads of things that can go wrong - ask me how I know...

Reactions: iammooks

CupraMA

Dec 4, 2016
OK, many thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the scrappy to see what I can find!

Message a user on here called Thai-Wronghorse. He breaks a lot of leons and quite possibly has one. You may need to have made 15 posts first to unlock the messaging feature though (stops spammers etc). https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?members/thai-wronghorse.103110/

Other than that you will probably find the part number on this diagram.
http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...885/subcategory/885070/part_id/1400075/lang/e
Not sure about the golf tbh, the interiors often have differences but you may get lucky. I know the dash and other bits of the interior are actually carbon copies of the Audi A3 from the same era, so that may be more a more likely of an option than the golf. The same site i linked above also has the part numbers for the golf and audi, so you should be able to cross reference them.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah the back seat isn't locking into place. Alongside that the middle seat belt isn't functioning, I assume because of it?

I remember taking my seat to pieces a few years ago on the morning of the MoT test because it decided to stop working. It's a nightmare.

There's some elaborate weighted ball-bearing mechanism that stops the middle seat belt from working when the back is folded down. There's also a release cable that goes from where the seat back locks in place to the seat belt mechanism that doesn't release unless the lock is secure. It sounds like you have the same issue.

I've tried replacing the release handle, taking apart the seat belt ball-bearing mechanism and nothing seemed to work. Basically I took it to the test expecting it to fail, but some testers just know how to release centre seat belts. I've not folded the seats down or used that seat belt in about two years now just so I don't mess it up.

There are lots of seats on eBay and at breakers, and they're pretty cheap too. I think that will work out cheaper than repairing it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.