Panic buying fuel?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Well, ive been in fuel conservation mode this week and managed to use just over half a tank instead of the usual 3/4.
Not at work Monday so hoping i can get through as much as of the week as possible without having to join the ques.
Ive noticed almost everyone has calmed their speeds/driving down this week to conserve fuel.

I've not managed to avoid the ques though.
Having to keep my lorry topped up for the distances i travel has been a pain but managed to get through the week.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It must be a different life hear in the sticks I've filled up twice and there's hardly ever any queues... Maybe people here don't have TV's or the Internet haha

Reactions: Rich.T

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Well I finally managed to fill up, on my 4th try, and 3rd today. This morning I tried the local Shell, but it had only one pump islan open, and I needed to get to work. Swung by another Shell nearer work, all pumps open, not much if a queue… and a sign saying “Cash Only” 😠😠. So I tried the local one again lunchtime on my way home. Got lucky. All pumps open (no “Super” fuels but hey), managed to drive onto the forecourt straight away, then squeeze between a corsa and a giant Costa cup to get to the far right pump with my filler on the “wrong” side, but only 1 car in front. 5 minutes and the “Pay at Pump” app later, and I’m driving off with a full tank. That’ll do me 3-4 weeks atm. When I pulled off the forecourt there were 10-15 cars trying to get onto it. Phew.

Reactions: Rich.T and SRGTD

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It's weird, my location I've now filled up when empty 3 times without queuing. They fill up every 3 days it seems and I just time it right I guess, hopefully it only gets better for everyone now the army are supposedly helping...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Well I finally managed to fill up, on my 4th try, and 3rd today. This morning I tried the local Shell, but it had only one pump islan open, and I needed to get to work. Swung by another Shell nearer work, all pumps open, not much if a queue… and a sign saying “Cash Only” 😠😠. So I tried the local one again lunchtime on my way home. Got lucky. All pumps open (no “Super” fuels but hey), managed to drive onto the forecourt straight away, then squeeze between a corsa and a giant Costa cup to get to the far right pump with my filler on the “wrong” side, but only 1 car in front. 5 minutes and the “Pay at Pump” app later, and I’m driving off with a full tank. That’ll do me 3-4 weeks atm. When I pulled off the forecourt there were 10-15 cars trying to get onto it. Phew.
I managed to get some petrol earlier this week at the local Tesco filling station. I’d not bought any during the panic buying phase as I didn’t need to use my car last week, and saw no point having a car parked up with petrol in the tank when there were people who’s needs were greater than mine (e.g. essential workers and people driving to work).

The Tesco I used had a ‘no Diesel’ sign displayed, although there was a mk7 Golf GTD filling up (hopefully not putting petrol in their car’s tank!). There were no queues and I was able to drive straight up to the pump and fill up with Tesco’s finest Momentum.

Fortunately, things do seem to be almost back to normal in my part of the world 🙂👍.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
No issues around my neck of the woods but I grimace when filling up, fuel price has got ridiculous again, up 24p per litre since restrictions ended ffs.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Having a full tank is like towing a caravan around.

That would be a very light caravan 🙂.

My car has a 40 litre tank and with a litre of petrol weighing around 0.74 kg, a full tank of petrol would add 29.6 kg (4st 9lbs) to its overall weight.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
No idea what my tank holds but its certainly slowing it down.

Feels like im driving round with a boot full of gold bullion (i wish).

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
And how do you double the value of a Lada...fill the fuel tank :ROFLMAO: (old joke)

• Haha

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
That would be a very light caravan 🙂.

My car has a 40 litre tank and with a litre of petrol weighing around 0.74 kg, a full tank of petrol would add 29.6 kg (4st 9lbs) to its overall weight.
I 'think' mine holds 60.
Im at 3/4 of a tank at the moment and it does feel slightly better.
Im going to run it down to the usual 1/4 to 1/2 tank that i usually run.
Im hoping it is that rather than a problem with the car.

I want the hp of a petrol with the torque of a diesel.

It was serviced just before the fuel crisis and its fingers crossed it has nothing to do with that as i had a few dramas with the garage as it was.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Old thread resurrection.

So the local media in my area ran a news item a couple of days ago highlighting that some filling stations were running low on fuel due to the actions of the Just Stop Oil protestors at the fuel distribution depots. The news item urged people not to panic buy, so predictably the inevitable happens.……………queues of people panic buying at filling stations.

Today I tried to buy petrol; I have between 1 and 2 gallons left in the tank and need to use my car next week. All of the six filling stations near where I live were closed as the panic buyers had cleaned them out completely. Thanks panic buyers 😡.

Here‘s hoping it’s a short term issue and that things will be back to normal next week. Fingers crossed!

Has anyone else experienced any problems getting fuel during the last few days?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I pre panic bought if there is such a thing.
I drive lorries for a living and noticed a few pumps down last week in the truck services.
Asked the chap behind the counter and he told me it was the swampies at the fuel depots holding up the tankers.