4 wheel drive Cupra R????

tinbum

Mar 31, 2007
Bournemouth
LCR + 4WD = Audi S3

I think you'd lose some of the rawness that makes the LCR so special.

Agreed. Personally I think 4WD Leon would suck. It is what it is, its not a rally car. Making it 4WD would just be wrong, it just wouldnt be an LCR....lol ;)

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Yes it would. The LCR is a great car. But how much better would it be off the line and in corners? Also after modifying the Leon needs 4WD to put the power on the road, especial in the wet!

Cupra_joeboy

May 16, 2007
Derbyshire
Yes it would. The LCR is a great car. But how much better would it be off the line and in corners? Also after modifying the Leon needs 4WD to put the power on the road, especial in the wet!

agreed, there are lots of 4WD cars out there that are related to the rallying pedigree.

Rick 01

LCR
May 14, 2006
Yorkshire
For those that are interested, check out this German website:

http://www.rothe-motorsport.de

They will turbo-charge a 2.8 V6 Seat/Audi/VW unit, and the power output rises to 408 PS and similar massive torque is also available! No doubt even more is possible with extra tuning/mods. If you translate the site to english with google translater (etc) it is quite readable.

Also, an interesting video on 'youtube' here of some Germans driving said turbocharged 'Leon 4R' at about 180 mph. I assume this was on the autobahn. I take it they had to fit a new speedo as I think the standard one only goes up to 160mph or the equivalent in kph.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SO2rO89z6U8

If you can get hold of a 2.8 V6 Leon, this would be the perfect upgrade. I could overlook the fact it was left hand drive given the peformance. It seemed to be holding together still even though it was doing almost 180! :headhurt:

Last edited:

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
I'd go for an LCR over an S3 if it was 4wd. But it isn't.. so when I want more power, I'm moving away from FWD and opting for RWD or AWD from now on.

Perhaps the FWD is what makes the LCR appealing to some.. but slippery corners and screechy launches aren't in my plans, end-game.

If I want a 4wd 1.8T 20v from the VAG group, I've got the S3 available.

I think the LCR should remain FWD.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
nice avatar mork charming lol

even if it was 4wd wouldnt make it that great, i know its a tt im on about here but my mum has one and they dont corner that great

Rick 01

LCR
May 14, 2006
Yorkshire
The same website also says the new 4WD Mk 2 Leon will be called the 'Cupra R'.
It will use the 3.2 litre V6 as found in the Golf tuned to at least 250BHP. I heard somewhere else that it would be the 2.0TFSI instead however, tuned to 270-280BHP by means of a bigger intercooler and Turbo than the 237BHP Cupra.
This may have been pure speculation however so I'm not holding my breath!

Rick 01

LCR
May 14, 2006
Yorkshire
Yeah, like I said, I'm not holding my breath on that one!

They've never released a 4WD Leon in the UK, and unless the politics change I doubt they ever will.

It's a shame really as I don't want to have to spend the extra on a Golf or A3. The Seat versions are cheaper, more cheerful and usually faster.

E.g. the PD diesels and the 1.8T Leons that we can get over here are in my opinion better VFM than their VW or Audi cousins.

04_cupra_r

LCR Love.....
Aug 24, 2005
Kent
www.westerhamgarage.co.uk
I think it might have something to do with them just not making it in LHD as they let the 4WD LCR and the S3 compete in the European market. On the other hand i agree it would sell very well over here. Also keep in mind the Cupra chassis is slightly different to that of the S3 and also i think the gearbox from a 4WD S3/LCR would need to be transplanted into said car too.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.