Aidan's Mk2 Leon Cupra

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Couple of little bits done today, got some front wind deflectors of a friend but they didn't come with any clips so used some double sided tape where they sit in the runners and hope for the best lol

cupra-1.jpg

Next up was the cheapy chinese cupra badge I got for the front for like £3, I got a copper flag to go over it. I guess the chinese badge isn't sized properly as the copper sticker didnt match to well so just dont get to close to the front of the car :lol:

before
cupra-2.jpg

After
cupra-3.jpg

Gonna have to get a real badge at some point but the idea is there :lol:

Clutch update! Aks and helix have both said there is nothing at all wrong with the clutch so abit stuck with what to do now as its just my word against theirs, funnily enough the old clutch works just fine.

Heres a quick snap of the car with the deflectors and copper badge overlay

cupra-4.jpg

Reactions: Legojon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Clutch update! Aks and helix have both said there is nothing at all wrong with the clutch so abit stuck with what to do now as its just my word against theirs, funnily enough the old clutch works just fine.

Will they at least do you a refund on it?

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Will they at least do you a refund on it?

They said they won't because as far as they are concerned it works fine. They said issue I was having sounded hydraulic however the old clutch has been fine and there was no fluid loss, anyway replied to them on Thursday and they have opened it and not yet responded. Have to chase them up all the time allthough I know the virus isn't helping ATM

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Bit of a more detailed one this time, probably going to be quite a few photos too lol

So first off I decided to pick up some gloss black to spray the rear seat badge, whilst I was there I found some paint that looked a similar colour to my wheels too so I thought great, I'll do the cupra badge this colour! So I was lazy, didnt bother scuffing or sanding I just made sure the area was completely clean and sprayed on a few coats of the primer and then did the gloss black. Came out alright to be honest apart from when I lacquered it after it put a few bumps in the paint, maybe I didn't shake the can enough.

cupra-1.jpg

I did pretty much the same thing with the cupra badge however turned out to be basically rose gold and not the colour it looked like on the can lol. It was a PITA to mask up too :lol:

cupra-2.jpg

Was getting late so continued the next day and ran out of decent stuff to mask car up with so...

cupra-3.jpg

Wrapping paper to the rescue, got some strange looks lol

Finished the job, looks decent. Just wish the badge was a better colour match.

cupra-4.jpg

Next job... See how on the picture above you can see where the adhesive was when I had longer plates so I decided to order a load of gloss black wrap and sand this back then wrap over it. I nearly gave up wrapping it a few times until I left it a day, had another go with a fresh head and tried applying it wet rather than dry and it came out ok not perfect and you can still see the imperfections where the adhesive was but not as bad. It's also abit glossier too which is nice :)

(Only taken with phone camera)
IMG-20200414-132416.jpg

After that I decided to tackle the yellow wrap on the fogs, it looked terrible so ripped that off, took the fogs into the back yard and cracked on with that.

IMG-20200414-165606.jpg

Much much better than before

IMG-20200414-171603.jpg

Next up are LED indicators from a guy on the facebook page, had a few LED's from him now and his stuff is great! Heres a comparison

IMG-20200417-124427.jpg

They are ridiculously bright especially at night, also don't know what it is with bright LED indicators it just gives a very small modern touch I think.

I then set about correcting the paintwork I began with a full wash and decontamination

IMG-20200422-165415.jpg

After a few days I cracked on with compounding with chemical guys compund and finished with meguires 205. It took over 2 full days and really I needed a more aggresive compund and pad combo as with most "German" cars the paint is pretty hard. (German car in a spanish disguise) :lol:

IMG-20200427-184648-608.jpg

Much better than it was before anyway

IMG-20200427-190106-618.jpg

Not got the camera out for some proper beading shots but I sealed it up with Fusso

IMG-20200428-190104-376.jpg

And thats about it for now.

Clutch update, they agreed to refund me 80% of the clutch as they say helix says nothing wrong and of course its used, they also offered to send it back to helix for more testing but I'm just going to take the refund and go RTS single mass kit instead. Glad this part is sorted for now

Reactions: Yellow fr

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
That looks loads better after the compounding! Nice result.

Also good news about the clutch, at least you can move on now!

Reactions: Aidanr97

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That Cupra lettering looks really smart! Really goes with the black as well. Does the LED indicator bulbs throw the error light on? Glad you can at least get the clutch sorted now and move on from it.

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
That looks loads better after the compounding! Nice result.

Also good news about the clutch, at least you can move on now!

Cheers mate! Happy with it for 12 year old paint haha

That Cupra lettering looks really smart! Really goes with the black as well. Does the LED indicator bulbs throw the error light on? Glad you can at least get the clutch sorted now and move on from it.

Cheers bud, just a shame it doesn't quite match the wheels but better than chrome anyway. The indicators don't bring up the error light, I have led indicators all around and no errors :) yeah hoping I don't have any issues with RTS lol

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
So finally got my money back from the clutch today, so I've ordered the full RTS single mass kit now, I'm keeping the braided line from AKS and the slave cylinder. That's booked in on Wednesday along with a oil and oil filter change, 6.6 bar fuel filter, Rocker cover gasket as I'm getting a bit of oil on one or two of the plugs and main thermostat as the car sits around 75-80 degrees.

Also did the boot pop mod today nice little trick :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So finally got my money back from the clutch today, so I've ordered the full RTS single mass kit now

On the bright side, you'll at least be able to compare the heavyness of the pedal between the two now. I've not had any issues with the Helix, but even now, I find the clutch pedal uncomfortable to hold down for any length of time. I hear the RTS single mass is a much lighter pedal.

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
On the bright side, you'll at least be able to compare the heavyness of the pedal between the two now. I've not had any issues with the Helix, but even now, I find the clutch pedal uncomfortable to hold down for any length of time. I hear the RTS single mass is a much lighter pedal.

Yeah the helix is pretty heavy, especially driving in standstill traffic in Leeds city centre :lol: @Jamesw0720 has the RTS kit and the pedal is just a little heavier than mine with the stock clutch and braided hose but nothing compared to the weight of the helix. It feels like your going to bend the pedal arm just pushing down on it with the helix haha

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
It's been a long long time since I've updated this thread! It's a long one :lol:

So the RTS clutch is going well so far, it's done over 12k miles now and hasn't skipped a beat!

Made some slight adjustments to the tune in the summer and made 324bhp and 455nm, added a decent cold air feed which picks up air from the undertray and feeds the air just under the filter, very fiddly job to do but has been working well!

IMG20200912153140.jpg

IMG20200912151209.jpg

Been having loads of trouble with the map sensor too ever since the wires were broke from thermostat change, the car hasn't ran the same since, got really dodgy wires and joiners in place but it's really not happy so the car will eventually go to a decent autospark to sort.

IMG20201203165047.jpg

Had to replace the DV too as when I was having really bad map sensor issues at one point ( car completely cutting boost ) it turns out it was knackered, here's how I found that lol.

IMG20200708102339.jpg

Also I got round to fitting a subwoofer and amplifier to the stock headunit! Sounds really good to say it's running on stock headunit and honestly wish I did it as soon as I got the car, one of my favourite mods! ( No pics yet however it was a £40 special from Facebook marketplace )

Also changed all 4 tyres as mine were getting to their limit, went for the Goodyear eagle F1 supersport and there brilliant, a pretty noticeable difference from the eagle F1 as3 I had on before.

Within that same week the discs and pads needed replacing at the front so I got some mtec J hook front discs (stayed with 345mm as opposed to lighter 340mm) and some ebc redstuff pads, the braking now is brilliant for the stock caliper so very impressed with those, plus they look cool!

IMG20200828170235.jpg

IMG20200828183304.jpg

About a week or so after went to Santa Pod with @Jamesw0720 which was brilliant, think the best time was around 14secs at just under 104mph, battling the wheelspin and getting a decent launch was hard though, 60ft times were consistently around 2.5 sec :(

OOO-2355.jpg

After a decent summer I serviced it all again and changed the cam follower again too, there was barely any wear at all but better safe than sorry!

And also picked up a hpfp protector from creation motorsports in red just to bling up the engine bay a little.

IMG20201216162911.jpg

For Christmas I used my pennies to get an RCD360 pro, always fancied a headunit upgrade just never really gotten around to it, unfortunately it's crap, sound quality is much worse than the stock unit, android auto is buggy, the unit freezes up and all together just not a great experience for a £260 head unit so going to send that back and get a half decent android unit. In the process of having the interior trim wrapped in gloss black and have the FL heater controls to go in which hopefully coupled with the headunit should modernise the interior a little.

IMG20201225115549.jpg

Anyway now unfortunately the car is a little poorly, the injectors aren't happy so I have put the car in lockdown for now ? and I need to save up for a set of new injectors with the metal filter baskets, also picked up an RS4 fprv to go in when I do the injectors and I'll probably check and replace the spark plugs too just for the sake of it.

IMG20210110133405.jpg

Still got a few plans for it this year ( one of my plans will be to clean it don't worry :lol: ) and it's a decent list so hoping I can do all the bits I want to do this year and hopefully this Corona goes away so we can get back to having some meetups!

Deleted member 128267

ive jsut bought the rcd330 mate its absolutely brilliant.. cost me around £200 with apple car play etc.. check it out on my thread. love the car though mate its wicked, great modding work done !

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
ive jsut bought the rcd330 mate its absolutely brilliant.. cost me around £200 with apple car play etc.. check it out on my thread. love the car though mate its wicked, great modding work done !

Yeah my mate has one and their really good, just lack android auto unfortunately which is the main reason I went for the rcd360. Really wish I didn't have to send it back as it's PITA lol but really not worth the money lol. And thankyou bud she's getting there slowly but hopefully some tasty mods to come this year :)

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
New injectors with uprated filter baskets from Rtech are in now, along with a billet runner flap delete, RS4 FPRV, intake mani gasket and also done the dogmone mount insert which I can't tell a difference in all honesty, apart from the dogbone mount everything else is night and day, car seems much happier now it idles nicely, it does take a second to start from cold due to RFD but it doesn't really bother me.

Also got one of those android head units after returning the RCD360 and it's a big improvement in software and sound quality plus I still get my android auto etc. Had all the trims (apart from fascia as that's wrapped ) sprayed gloss black and put in the FL heater controls whilst I had it apart which looks 100x better!

IMG20210220163615.jpg

And managed to break my window reg I'm assuming, in the cold weather for some reason I tried to open the drivers window, heard a break then could hear the window reg operating whilst the glass is still frozen in place :( pushed the glass back into whatever makes it go up and down and it works but getting a really annoying rattle so need to take the doorcard off to inspect damage, hopefully not having to drill rivets out to get the doorskin off :lol:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I’m so jealous I really wanted a black Leon 😩 FairPlay mate looks so nice after your touches on it. Wish mine was black why do I keep ending up with yellow cupra lol fml 🤦🏽‍♂️

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
I’m so jealous I really wanted a black Leon 😩 FairPlay mate looks so nice after your touches on it. Wish mine was black why do I keep ending up with yellow cupra lol fml 🤦🏽‍♂️

Thankyou buddy! I do have a soft spot for the yellow ones, I actually nearly bought one however it'd sold by the time I was ready to buy

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.