Alloy Wheels Finally Cleaned.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I had nothing better to do today, so I decided to have a crack at my alloys. They were filthy. I don't think the rear of the wheels have ever been cleaned.

Spent ages trying to find the right stuff to get the tar off. I had some old AG wheel cleaner which was the best

The wheels are not in the best condition - lacquer peeling off and a few minor kerbings (must have been the missus)

Once the crud was off, I put 2 coats of wax on, Mer and AG Super Resin Polish (all I had in the garage) and a final coat of Poorboys Wheel Sealant (which smells great)

Took me about 7 hours to do the 4 wheels; was it worth it?

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
very nice, did you paint your caliper as well?

I did plan to touch them up again because when I changed the rear pads last week, I chipped off a little bit of paint. But I ran out of time and couldn't be ar*ed!!

I gave them a good clean though. I did 'em 2 years ago with about 5 coats of Hammerite.

blackmajic

WOW they look awesome! Will have to try some of that on mine. nice one!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
looks good! i always try to keep my wheels spanking clean. i even clean the insides when i do the normal weekly wash:rolleyes:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Thanks everyone :D

I seem to have got back into the Ibiza habit after trawling through SCN for the last couple of weeks.

I'm now in the process of cleaning the car properly. I've even managed to get all the tar of the bodywork using WD40. The cars' sills were covered in it, and I was never able to get any of it off. All gone now.

There's a few things I can't change - a couple of deep scratches on the front doors, a few stone chips, and worst of all, 3 large dents on the roof from when we had the high winds last year. They blew off a ridge tile and it had to go and land on the Ibiza's roof, causing 3 large craters. :( I've been quoted £200 to get it sorted, so I'll do that.

The wheels need refurbing, don't know whether to keep them the same colour or go black....

Last edited:

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i say keep them the same colour as im not a huge fan of black/ really dark wheels as it makes them look small

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
i say keep them the same colour as im not a huge fan of black/ really dark wheels as it makes them look small

I know what you mean, they would look better if they were 17" and black (like Aimez)! I'm not going to fork out for new wheels because I think the FR alloys look ok. Need some 20mm spacers on the rear though.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
good job there but 7 hours? you must be patient

Haha, stupid more like! It took ages to get the brake dust off the inside of the wheel. There were also a few adhesive strips from the wheel balancing in the past.

I spent today cleaning the outside. Washed it twice, WD40'd all the tar spots (most of the car), dried it, put 2 coats of carnauba wax on, then a final layer of Poorboys EX-P sealant (smells great and is fantastic to put on and wipe off)

Final results;

Before

After

Here's the damage to the roof
:cry:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Haha, you've been looking too closely!! You can't beat a bit a vaseline for when you need a bit of lube!!

This particular pot was for the headlamp seals - it stops the water getting in creating the condensation in the headlamp.

(nice smiley) :hide:

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.