Ateca - Maps Update Gone Wrong - HELP

davept

Aug 3, 2023
Hello everyone.
I am creating this thread as I ran out of ideas. Already looked up on other threads, did extensive research trough Google, but the problem persists. Really hoping someone here can help me having maps back working.
The solutions I tried mentioned below were based on some threads I read here on Forums.

Issue: Tried to update maps on my Seat Ateca following the instructions on SEAT website and now it won't work. When inserted the SD Card it displays on screen next to loading circle: 'SD Card has navigation database', but after a moment it just display (on navigation menu) 'Navigation Database is not available'.

I downloaded the maps zip file Europe 1. Formatted the SD Card, and then extracted the zip file to the SD Card I did it to the root directory of SD Card so the first folder on SD Card is ‘maps’.

What is written on the sticker on the SD Card: SEAT Navigation AS Europa 1 (V3); Europe 1 (V3); 6P0.919.966.H

License plate is year 2019

Issue
When inserting the SD Card on slot (tried on both already) it starts loading and says ‘ SD Card has database navigation ‘, however some moments later, and when accessing the Navigation menu, it says ‘Navigation database not available’.

Solutions tried
Formatting SD Card NTFS 4096 bytes
Formatting SD Card FAT32 8192 bytes and 4096 bytes

If I can provide any other relevant information let me know.
Thank you very much in advance.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I don't know what satnav unit you have but you have to update the unit and then you can download the maps and
install them.
Not all units can be up dated, I had a 2019 Leon and that could not be updated so could only use the maps purchased
from the dealer so suspect that is your problem !

davept

Aug 3, 2023
Thanks for the reply.
How can I identify for you the satnav unit ?

Unfortunately I don't have anymore the original contents of the SD Card.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Thanks for the reply.
How can I identify for you the satnav unit ?

Unfortunately I don't have anymore the original contents of the SD Card.
Sorry I cannot help as to how to identify the unit, but do a search for "

East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions Ltd​

and send them a message, and sounds like you have trashed your original
card

Reactions: davept

keezy

Sep 7, 2022
I think you have MIB2 Standard, but you can verify for example like this ->

If you tell us for example software train version.

Did you copy OVERALL.NDS file from your previous maps? I think that is necessary to do when updating maps in MIB2 Standard units.

davept

Aug 3, 2023
@keezy , thanks.

Hope this is the information:

Software version: 5F0035877A
HMI Software: H29.344.59_STD2Nav_EU
Train Version: MST2_EU_SE_ZR_P0514T
SW version: 0514

Unfortunately I did not copy any file from previous maps.

keezy

Sep 7, 2022
In that case not having correct overall.nds file is most likely causing your issues. (basing only on information I just read, because I have never done update on MIB2 standard unit since I have different unit)

@Tell has written some instructions what to do when you are missing corect overall.nds file, you can find it here -> https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/re...v-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.60/ under Lost, Stolen and Missing Cards from a Mib2 Standard Unit

If I understood correctly you just need to download overall.nds from this post https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...b1-card-solution.388586/page-134#post-5031532 and replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on your SD card with downloaded one

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell and davept

keezy

Sep 7, 2022
In future just don't forget to replace overall.nds file in new maps with this downloaded one :)

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Yes that's the life saving file (y). The workaround as it was named on the board you take your current overall.nds file that first went in the unit and overwrite it on the map update. People kept forgetting to do that so one had to keep digging in old releases. It then came to pass that you could use any previous release. So I got others to look back to find the year dot of Seat release which is the fix to all. That individual file gets you working again. Only Seat's mib2 standard requires this. Skoda and VW were shipped with life long FeCs so you didnt need to do that. The original workaround was devised by Exciter back in 2017. If you follow the published VW / Skoda instructions you end up, up a river without a paddle. That's your paddle.

davept

Aug 3, 2023
I couldn't relate the problems and fixes found through forum search with my issue... But now is clear.
Thank you very much once again.

Now trying to activate full link DYI 😁
Hope I won't mess with maps again.

Tell

Staff member
I should add mib3 on Seats are now shipped with life long navigation FeCs so there is this thread, doesn't apply to you thou. That's where people don't want to bother with connect services, let the contract run out for that service but want to update the maps.

For mib2, two units were shipped mib2 standard and mib2 high (called Seat Plus on Seats). The ability to update the maps was limited to mapcare which was a bought service but not sold in the UK. That mib2 map update small print should say you cant do it. People were miffed that Seat didn't give unlimited mapcare for life like on VW and Skodas, more miffed it wasn't even a sold service in the UK to even update for three years. The workaround handles the mib2 standard (card based system). For the mib2 high the navigation FeCs need to be altered to lifelong ones. The latter you can use retrofitters or DIY with the mib2 toolkit or update the firmware to 1447 AIO if brave enough.

The threads posted by Keezy above covers the discussion thread and resource to this. Generally in any case Seat and Skoda map updates run 6 months latter than VW. All the same file so we post up the VW file links. If you like old stuff you take the Seat links. I think its just the way the other brands are resourced and they like to make VW owners feel special.

The mib2 firmware thread is the sister one. You have to be more brave for that. Generally unless you have a need to alter the firmware best to leave it alone. On mib2 it's Android auto playing up or access the DIY tools that the user community has developed to update FeCs.

Reactions: Terry99

davept

Aug 3, 2023
Thank you for the reply and explanations on this @Tell . Very useful on understanding these issues.

(just a quick update on the full link situation:
About Full Link activation just bumped into a wall I guess I can't go trough.
I need developer menu enabled and can't make it without buying obd adaptor. It won't make sense as I am talking about a company car, leased, that I will return in a few months....)

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I don't know what satnav unit you have but you have to update the unit and then you can download the maps and
install them.
Not all units can be up dated, I had a 2019 Leon and that could not be updated so could only use the maps purchased
from the dealer so suspect that is your problem !
My 2019 Leon maps updated no issue at all.

Firstly, you MUST take a backup copy of everything on the original card, then format with FAT32
After downloading the maps, you need to delete the OVERALL.NDS file that is now on the card and replace it with the OVERALL.NDS from the backup

Tell

Staff member
My 2019 Leon maps updated no issue at all.

Firstly, you MUST take a backup copy of everything on the original card, then format with FAT32
After downloading the maps, you need to delete the OVERALL.NDS file that is now on the card and replace it with the OVERALL.NDS from the backup
Just delete what's on it after taking the backup copy, not format. Some of the cards don't take too kindly to the reformat. Basically W10 / W11 in some releases defaulted the sector size which then corrupted the SD card. Number of incidents of that so best to just wait for it to delete each file at a time. Safer.

Reactions: LeylandVCDS
Jan 18, 2024
I've followed the steps to update my maps.. download from Seat, unzip, format in FAT32, copy new maps across, replaced overall.nds file from backup, edited the version number in the text file etc.

When I insert the updated card it says database not available. As soon as I put the old genuine card in (v8), it reads and loads.

I've tried ejecting the cards through the media menu, switching off and back on, tried both card slots etc. What am I doing wrong?

2020 Ateca (18-20 model, not 20 onwards)

Tell

Staff member
If you have got the V8 working, that's the one with your overall.nds file on. Use that one.

Put the updated maps back onto the SD card then overwrite the overall.nds file with your working v8. Just the overall.nds file. In the past someone didn't understand the difference between directories and files so overy wrote too much. It's just that overall.nds file of the working one that goes forward on your genuine map card, not any old SD card.

The secret is not to loose your back up of the working one.

Jan 18, 2024
If you have got the V8 working, that's the one with your overall.nds file on. Use that one.

Put the updated maps back onto the SD card then overwrite the overall.nds file with your working v8. Just the overall.nds file. In the past someone didn't understand the difference between directories and files so overy wrote too much. It's just that overall.nds file of the working one that goes forward on your genuine map card, not any old SD card.

The secret is not to loose your back up of the working one.
The v8 is an original card. I've backed it up. Im using a different sd card, not rewiting the original. I've copied the new unzipped maps and copied overall.nds file from the v8 backup to the new card.

I've also tried 2 different map region downloads. 1 at approx 16gb and 1 at approx 7gb.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.