bigish turbo for my s3 DIY instal eazy fit help needed

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
in context re blocks and preceived strengths..
I have been running AYP block (std ibiza), 156bhp std to >500bhp for quote some time, run it to 2.7bar boost during races..... zero problem.

Built & tuned well, they're nice strong units

George S3

its just I have two friends that say the BAM engines pop all the time lol
and tell me that the AGU which they run in there mk2 golfs with Ko4 set ups are much stronger
but I thought the AGU have a 19mm pin? and the BAM have the 20mm pin?
but I was thinking strength from the crank and shells etc?

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
AGU has 20mm gudeon pins. I have a set in my bedroom. Just measured them. The pistons are forged mahle items as standard and will take the sort of power you are looking at all day.
I can't speak for BAM as I've not had one in bits.

All 1.8T cranks are forged and even if BAM does have 19mm pins, you can buy uprated rods for this size and again you will be fine with the amount of power mentioned in this thread. Engines with 19mm rods have less strong pistons, but I've only heard this, again can't confirm personally.

Don't worry about crank cases. BAM/AMK has extra webs, but I don't know anyone with a failed crankcase on a road car.

Just build up the engine you have in your car if going higher than the 350bhp / 350ft/lb OEM ceiling people mention.

Bearing shells only need to be upgraded over about 400bhp I'm told. Calico items (spelling?).

Backdraft

BAM has 20mm pins. AGU has 'spatter' big end bearings which are said to be stronger. They are 3 times the price too!

The rods on the 19mm pin pistons are the problem. Cast items that can allow the bearing to spin.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.