Btcc 2009!

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
yep - he is "the big bad man of btcc!" quoted from the Sun. I'll be supporting him until the day he gets into a vauxhall...

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
JP's just about old enough for a Volvo now :bleh:

I'm sure most of us will cheer him on even with the flat cap on and the pillows on the parcel shelf ;) Remember if he's in a Volvo (smart Ford) then Vauxhall remain the deadly rivals so battle can be resumed. Here's hoping.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Like I said on the Volvo thread this is just about the best thing to happen for a return to the BTCC for the big man. And for me; I am a newbie to the STCC and like Polestar. In order for us to see Jase return I think a competitive team needs to be the team to return with.

Polestar will only add to the strength of the competitiveness of the Independents; WSR, GR Asia/CVR, Motorbase Performance and now Polestar.

I would like to see Rustad and/or Dahlgren do the BTCC also because the BTCC and STCC do avoid each other.

The BTCC starts on the weekend of 5 April but the STCC season doesn't start till Friday May 2 at Mantorp. By which time the BTCC would have done Brands Hatch and Thruxton. Could they not get in race practice and do both and return back to Sweden for the opening two races at Mantorp Park on May 2? Donny is on the 17th of that month (15 days later). Six days later is the next meeting of the STCC at Gellerasen (22-23 May). Then a further six later the BTCC visits Oulton Park. In June is Croft on the weekend of 13th-14th. Either side on the 5th-6th and 26th-27th weekends is Gothenburg and Knutstorp. No BTCC races are in July but Falkenberg in the STCC does happen. In August they could do Snetterton as it is on the weekend of 1-2nd August and Gellerasen is on the 14th-15th but not Knockill probably as it is on 16th August and not Silvertsone which is on the weekend of 29-30 August as Anderstorp is over the 28-29th. But they could do Rockingham which over the weekend of the 29-30 September because Knutstorp happens about 2 weeks before over the 11th-12th and the final two races at Mantorp happens about a week after The Rock' over the 25th-26th September. And Brands Hatch happens after the end of the STCC season in the first weekend of October.

I would like to see them do the BTCC too.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Polestar wouldn't be entering, they are the car builders.

Even more intriguing. Who will the team be. I know on the cards is a consortium of Volvo dealers headed by John Cleland. But that is all talk on Wikipedia.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
That was just a rumour fuelled by something John Cleland said during WTCC commentary at Brands last year. He just suggested Volvo dealers get together and back an entry in the BTCC and before you know it, it's been blown out of all proportion.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I know such issues that MarkE brought up (the kind of issues that almost seem to appear on the outside and from my point of view to largely help decide whether something can feasibly happen to create a team or to put a driver in a team) is impossible for me to consider as I simply don't have the brain of a motorsport fan (If you had given my a million years I would never have thought that Volvo dealers may not even have the cash to create a Volvo team in the BTCC), but I never thought of a reason to believe it anyway.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
That's the way it used to be funded quite a lot. Dealer Team (insert name here) used to be quite common. Rather than come from a manufacturer's marketing budget like nowadays, the money came from the nationwide dealers networks.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
That's the way it used to be funded quite a lot. Dealer Team (insert name here) used to be quite common. Rather than come from a manufacturer's marketing budget like nowadays, the money came from the nationwide dealers networks.

Really? I must note that down incase I need to use it in future because you never know. That sounds quite an interesting fact. So was it the same with Tom Coronel when he raced for GR Asia? Did the money come from the Holland SEAT dealer then?

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org

Yup, but they were selling cars back then. :)

I'd love to see another good team on the grid and I'd love to see Volvo back in it (although I also want to see BTCC get back to being saloons so the C30 would be a disappointment) but in the current climate I just can't see car dealers being willing or able to fund an entry.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Looks like JP found a job in BTCC after all :

20090220-_SBK6171.jpg

:)

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
There is an ex-BTCC mechanic who looks a bit like JP. He was an ex of a friend of mine. He and a friend bought an ex-Plato 888 Vectra Super Tourer and there was a lot of confusion whenever they pulled up to a Little Chef with the car on the back of a trailer and this Plato lookalike going in and getting a full English.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.