Btcc 2009!

steveshady

Back to Deezley Weezly!
Mar 15, 2004
Exeter
Anyone worried BTCC09 is going to be a bit...boring??

Hey All

I've been dying all winter for the return of BTCC, but now after reading the news from the media day its put a bit of a downer on it I feel.

No JP (although that was expected)
No Mat Jackson
No DT.
No TOC

4 Exciting race winners nowhere to be seen!

Without JP and MJ there is no one really to challenge Gio for the title. Turks may have a shout but from what I remember he always seems to be feeding off scraps from the bigger boys, he never had the amazing drives that Jackson had or the talent and character Plato had. I was really chuffed witht the entry of CZR and their signing on Adam Jones, but I don't think they will be much hassle for Vauxhall.

What does everyone else think?

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Yes, but we have Dan Eaves back, and hopefully the Bio Ethanol Leons will be up there.

And we should remember that Dan Eaves is a former Race Winner and Independent Champ. Given the luck, he'll do well, as will Adam Jones.

Colin Turkington in the Beemer will no doubt have a few surprises for us.

We also have the unknown quantity of the Aon Focus.

I reckon the season will be pretty good

And remember, its no all about winning, consistant point scoring can win a championship.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Yes, but we have Dan Eaves back, and hopefully the Bio Ethanol Leons will be up there.

And we should remember that Dan Eaves is a former Race Winner and Independent Champ. Given the luck, he'll do well, as will Adam Jones.

Colin Turkington in the Beemer will no doubt have a few surprises for us.

We also have the unknown quantity of the Aon Focus.

I reckon the season will be pretty good

And remember, its no all about winning, consistant point scoring can win a championship.

Quote right. What I like about the BTCC is the depth of quality in the Independents. We have some great talent like Jones, Eaves, Chilton and Adam.

PS - Can I also give a quick mention to another Leon driver in tin-tops. Roger Eriksson who will run race with Nordic Fine Art in the STCC as #9.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I thinks its great they'res such a strong field of independants, not just to fill up the grid but I would question if vuaxhall are going to be in it as a works team as of next year

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Without JP and MJ there is no one really to challenge Gio for the title. Turks may have a shout but from what I remember he always seems to be feeding off scraps from the bigger boys, he never had the amazing drives that Jackson had or the talent and character Plato had.

You don't win 13 BTCC races by the age of 26/27 by feeding off scraps. And I could tell you a list of races where he's had amazing drives from the back of the field onto the podium. :)

Doom and gloom, doom and gloom!

Not so - S2000 is designed to level things. Yes Gio has a lot going in his favour however, he may be tempted to step on it this year rather than pootling around in the 'safe' position - Gio is a drama driver - we missed that last year a bit! A little less pressure might make for more exciting racing. Other considerations:

Pinkney - very fast car = qualifying above his weight mixing it in the wrong part of the pack!
Shedden - new car is fast and he's on it at the moment - fitter than before and focused
Jonny Adam - will qualify high and then we'll see what he's made of when the lights go green!
Andrew J - nothing to loose and quick car.....the list goes on.

BTCC will always be a total blast to watch on TV or trackside. It doesn't matter who's in it at all because it's much bigger than any individual, manufacturer or team.

Gushy gushy but true.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Exactly. 2002 and 2003 were pretty good seasons without Plato and even 2001 had it's moments when most of the Super Touring drivers had gone and we were left with fewer cars and more unknown drivers at that level.

Having said that, I would have loved to have seen Muller, Plato, Thompson, Giovanardi, Menu and Tarquini with the current bunch. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.