Build date thread

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
An interesting Auto Trader video on YouTube from last year presented by Rory Reid (ex Top Gear presenter) at the link below that covers such things as;
  • car manufacturers adopting a Ferrari type of business model - i.e. producing fewer cars than customers demand - customers pay more and wait longer for their cars and the manufacturer‘s profits increase.
  • car manufacturers focusing on more expensive models at the expense of cheaper models.
  • increased margins as a result of lower discounting.

Maybe the longer wait times, model prioritisation (if it is happening), along with lower discounts / higher prices are here to stay 🤔.

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
An interesting Auto Trader video on YouTube from last year presented by Rory Reid (ex Top Gear presenter) at the link below that covers such things as;
  • car manufacturers adopting a Ferrari type of business model - i.e. producing fewer cars than customers demand - customers pay more and wait longer for their cars and the manufacturer‘s profits increase.
  • car manufacturers focusing on more expensive models at the expense of cheaper models.
  • increased margins as a result of lower discounting.

Maybe the longer wait times, model prioritisation (if it is happening), along with lower discounts / higher prices are here to stay 🤔.
This is very true..
But at the same time, the Leon eHybrid's pricetag is high enough for it to be considered an "expensive model", at least in my country. Not saying that it is a bad bargain, but it is definitely not cheap..

Jan 13, 2022
Looks like my order from July last year is going to be delivered on Wednesday. Hope the 10 month wait was worth it :)

OneLeggedIdiot

Apr 27, 2022
from @Macgibbo83 's previous post, he said he ordered the 1.0 TSI version (correct me if I'm wrong 🙈)

sorry dude, don't get your hopes up for the hybrid variants, it seems like we are destined to wait 🙁
Based on the data from the Netherlands, I think Seat Leon PHEV will be a wait for forever. No PHEV's are registered since february. For Cupra Leon PHEV, it is less tragic, but they did register only 12 until today. 4 were registered in May.

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
Based on the data from the Netherlands, I think Seat Leon PHEV will be a wait for forever. No PHEV's are registered since february. For Cupra Leon PHEV, it is less tragic, but they did register only 12 until today. 4 were registered in May.
i recall you are waiting for the cupra version, so i hope that this is good news for you and you don't have to wait for ages (like us) ;)

on the other hand, May registrations were possibly built in March-early April, before production was halted, so I don't know whether we can assume that new registrations equal actual production at the factory..

OneLeggedIdiot

Apr 27, 2022
i recall you are waiting for the cupra version, so i hope that this is good news for you and you don't have to wait for ages (like us) ;)

on the other hand, May registrations were possibly built in March-early April, before production was halted, so I don't know whether we can assume that new registrations equal actual production at the factory..
Yes, I'm waiting for the Cupra version, but try to get all the info about both, Seat and Cupra, so I can keep you guys updated with info I can get my hands on.

For Europe it is a little bit different. Cars arrive here by truck, not by ship.

When I was working at the different RORO-terminals in Antwerp (main hubs for Mazda, Ford and Stellantis for Europe), I remember cars coming by truck only 1-2 weeks after production. The cars for ships sometimes stood there for weeks waiting for the ship or waiting for enough load to the same port before getting loaded on ship. When they came by ship (some loading for VAG from Spain to Scandinavia) it was 6-7 weeks after production. When they had arrived for Europe we had to park them on the parking where trucks could pick them up after discharging the ship. The time between discharge of the ship and pick up by truck was normally not more than 1 week.

So I think the time between production and registration in the Netherlands is much shorter than production and registration in UK.

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
Yes, I'm waiting for the Cupra version, but try to get all the info about both, Seat and Cupra, so I can keep you guys updated with info I can get my hands on.

For Europe it is a little bit different. Cars arrive here by truck, not by ship.

When I was working at the different RORO-terminals in Antwerp (main hubs for Mazda, Ford and Stellantis for Europe), I remember cars coming by truck only 1-2 weeks after production. The cars for ships sometimes stood there for weeks waiting for the ship or waiting for enough load to the same port before getting loaded on ship. When they came by ship (some loading for VAG from Spain to Scandinavia) it was 6-7 weeks after production. When they had arrived for Europe we had to park them on the parking where trucks could pick them up after discharging the ship. The time between discharge of the ship and pick up by truck was normally not more than 1 week.

So I think the time between production and registration in the Netherlands is much shorter than production and registration in UK.
yea, i get your point. hopefully they are back in production and will start delivering within the next months..

is there a build date forum for the cupra Leon? has anyone ordered the PHEV in Q3-Q4 2021 and said that they got a build/delivery date?

OneLeggedIdiot

Apr 27, 2022
yea, i get your point. hopefully they are back in production and will start delivering within the next months..

is there a build date forum for the cupra Leon? has anyone ordered the PHEV in Q3-Q4 2021 and said that they got a build/delivery date?
There is a build date, and an excel where you can see everything. But for hybrids, I do not see any change.

This is with the excel: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/cupra-leon-mk4-build-date-and-delivery-tracker.468655/

chris_louk

May 13, 2022

OneLeggedIdiot

Apr 27, 2022
no build date even for the earliest ones ordered in August.. Nice 😶

if the supposedly "prioritized" Cupras are so delayed, i can't even imagine how long it will take them to start producing Seat hybrids..
What I last heard from my dealer was they are arguing to cancel all Seat Leon PHEV for Belgium, as they already did with Tarraco PHEV. Cupra Leons would get a bigger production in Summer, but they did not know if it would be June or September. At this moment focus is on Formentor but built Cupra Leons that are missing chips get finalized production too. There is a possibility they are going to cancel Seat Leon PHEV orders because they can not deliver before MY2023 goes into production and they don't want other countries have to wait too long.

Normally they will know more this week or next week. From the moment I hear something, I will let it know here at the forum. If they can not give any info before the half of June, I've got a meeting with management of my dealership to see what we can do (discount, free winter tyres, or cancel the order and go for something in stock).

The need of the new car is becoming urgent since my current car (Nissan X-Trail) has issues with cooling and I can not bring it in to fix as long as I do not have the new car. My wife's car is not, and can not be, adapted for my disability and my boss can not give me a few extra holidays because lack of employees. I know, a discount or free tyres will not solve the problem, but they need something to keep me as a customer for future cars too. If I'm happy with the Cupra Leon, next year I will switch the Nissan for a Formentor for my wife and I've already told the dealer. But then they have to show me that they are customer friendly.

Reactions: chris_louk
May 23, 2022
Do you know about similar Google Docs for Seat? Seat Leon 2.0 TSI here, ordered 30.07.21 and still unfortunate 00 status despite already 3 possible build dates (last one was supposed to be 26 week). I'm now wondering when reading your posts if that might be the case that all those dates were lost because of Cupra orders hijacking those?

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
Do you know about similar Google Docs for Seat? Seat Leon 2.0 TSI here, ordered 30.07.21 and still unfortunate 00 status despite already 3 possible build dates (last one was supposed to be 26 week). I'm now wondering when reading your posts if that might be the case that all those dates were lost because of Cupra orders hijacking those?
tbh i was under the impression that only the hybrid models were affected by severe delays. Apparently not.. 😬

OneLeggedIdiot

Apr 27, 2022
As far as I know I did not find a google docs from Seat Leon yet. Maybe somebody can make this? I don't know how this works with google docs.

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
Hybrids are affected the most, but it's with all cars. I found this info for delivery times, but it is for Germany. I think it's not correct for other countries if I read all forums.
according to that document, a Leon or Cupra eHybrid should arrive at about 9-10 months, but after reading many people's experiences in this forum, I don't think that this is accurate..

mycz7

May 18, 2022
Don't worry. I have petrol Cupra on order since July 2021. Had 3 times unconfirmed build dates (first one in October and then weak 22 and 26) - now back to no build date. Its simple - all VW group looks at currently is profit and margins. They don't even hide that to be honest. So if your order is from important market for popular configuration and the profit margin is high you will see your car quicker. But tune in to Cupra announcement in June to hear how amazing they are, how everyone loves them and that they change the world (how they do that is a big mystery even for their PR department :D)

OneLeggedIdiot

Apr 27, 2022
according to that document, a Leon or Cupra eHybrid should arrive at about 9-10 months, but after reading many people's experiences in this forum, I don't think that this is accurate..
I've got the same thought. But I think Germany is getting prioritized for cars.

What I do not understand is, when I check german and dutch website from Seat and Cupra, they both have cars in stock. For the netherlands, there is no website with Cupra stock, but they have 62 Seat Leon Hybrids in stock. Why aren't these cars delivered to other countries where they are waiting for their cars?
In Germany they have 27 Seat Leon Hybrids in stock.
For Cupra they have 6 Leons Hybrid in stock and 61 Formentors in Germany. Is it that hard to prioritize customer orders instead of stock for dealers? Showroom cars are normally not put as stock cars for sale, so they can not make the excuse their showroom would be empty.

Reactions: chris_louk

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
Don't worry. I have petrol Cupra on order since July 2021. Had 3 times unconfirmed build dates (first one in October and then weak 22 and 26) - now back to no build date. Its simple - all VW group looks at currently is profit and margins. They don't even hide that to be honest. So if your order is from important market for popular configuration and the profit margin is high you will see your car quicker. But tune in to Cupra announcement in June to hear how amazing they are, how everyone loves them and that they change the world (how they do that is a big mystery even for their PR department :D)
this is very true. it was mentioned before that they wait for a big batch of identical orders to arrange the build, so if you ordered something rather odd, you will wait longer.

Unfortunately this is my case too, because in Cyprus we have right-hand drive cars, and we don't even have the same trim levels as the UK, which is the only other right-hand drive country that SEAT builds cars for. And Cyprus is a very small country with very few orders, so I suppose that I am basically screwed 🙃