Car fire

mc2509

Please help, yesterday when travelling back to work from lunch my car caught light, it was behind the dash on the passenger side, the car filled with smoke and i ended up having to call the fire brigade. Scared the sh*t out of me. Insurance company have taken it away and basically it needs new dash, new wiring loom, new carpet, all parts around the air con are melted.
Has anyone had anything similar or would anyone have any ideas if the cost of parts will out price the value of the car, its a 2001 cupra 1.8T.[:@]

mc2509

have pics but dont know how it upload them mate but they think it came from the blower fan or aircon unit or something around that, just glad i didnt have my baby son in the car.

andycupra

status subject to change
mmm... id say they could possibly be a write off. lots of labour and parts aint cheap.
really depends how far the damage has got.
thing is the damage only has to get to 65%-70% of the value and they will write it off. (and then sell it to someone). perhaps even you?

more i think about it the more sure i am its a write off.

Last edited:

mc2509

no water damage, they basically just wripped out all the parts that were alight. Just spoke to the insurance company and they said it could take upto 5 days for an assesor to come and look, not good !
Moral of the story "carry a fire extinguisher"

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Sorry to hear about that mate. If its needed whole new dash and loom etc then could become very pricey. The main thing is you werent hurt and i'm sure it'll get sorted in the end. Just inconvenience and not knowing what will happen that makes it worse.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Thats something i didnt expect leons to do. just have to buy those portable fire extinguisher. just on the safe side

brad1

sorry to hear bout that mate. it will get sorted in the end. look on the bright side you may be able to get a newer one. anyway glad your ok

Cupraloon

Sorry to hear about your fire matey,

lucky you had a camera with you then eh ;)

good reason to carry a fire extinguisher, ive had one in every car i've ever owned, probably won't be any good if i ever need it tho' :doh:

mc2509

yeah, thanks guys.
Ordering 2 extinguishers this weekend, one for me one for the wife.
Luckily all pics are with my phone, thought i better have some evidence.

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
That could be a write off, as it looks like a lot would need replacing. Also the engine will need proper assessing to check the heat/fire did not attack that area.

Unfortunately that is just seriously bad luck. could have happened to anyone. :(Got to be honest but I have not heard of anything like that happening recently.

Look at the brightside - you were not hurt, your son was not in the car and despite some hassle this will get sorted. :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.