Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
:cry:

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

Ok... So I have an engine with a problem :headhurt:

The story:
I have never had one problem with the Cupra since ownership in aug '08 Last night was driving for a good 30 minutes at a steady 50-60mph, the car was fine the whole journey. Within coming close to destination, I came off a roundabout and put my foot down in 2nd gear and then coming upto around 4500rpm the car felt like it spluttered badly, so I quickly put it into 3rd gear and rolled along and the revs were lumpy from 1000rpm-2000rpm and then when I tried driving it just spluttered badly again and felt like car was braking from holding back.

So anyway pulled over straight away and then the car cut out when I put the clutch in. At this point I noticed the car was smelling very bad!! So I left it to cool down a bit and tried starting it again.

The Problem
The car then started but cut out after 2-3 seconds of running, and it does this constantly, after 2-3 times of trying I got the smell back with smelt of bad mixture combined with catalic convertor smell?

The AA said
That the problem could be electrical and maybe my immobiliser chip... perhaps the chip flew out of my key, and then out the window, and I didn't even notice? :blink: Plus that wouldn't explain the smell or misfire

If anyone has read this then thank you for your time and any ideas you have on getting the car running will be attempted, as nothing has been tried yet.

Kind Regards
Chris :)

Last edited:

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Could be one of many things mate. Almost sounds like a boost hose has popped off somewhere or could be the MAF sensor or coilpacks. You really need to get it plugged into Vag-Com to see if any fault codes have been logged. Might be worth asking in the Vag-Com section if anyone locally can do a diagnostics check.

But first i'd be checking all pipes are tightly secure and possibly try unplugging the MAF sensor to see if it runs then. Its hard to say without getting it properly diagnosed.

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
I know you done your n249 bypass dude, have you moved the valve and its fallen onto the turbo manifold and melted like others have had happen?

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
It does sound like a hose has popped tbh. I had very similar symptoms with the real bad burning egg, singed hair sort of smell.

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Could be one of many things mate. Almost sounds like a boost hose has popped off somewhere or could be the MAF sensor or coilpacks. You really need to get it plugged into Vag-Com to see if any fault codes have been logged. Might be worth asking in the Vag-Com section if anyone locally can do a diagnostics check.

But first i'd be checking all pipes are tightly secure and possibly try unplugging the MAF sensor to see if it runs then. Its hard to say without getting it properly diagnosed.

Thanks bud I will go around the boost pipes and intercooler etc and check them all, hopefully going to try and get access to VAG-com from a friend at SEAT :D

I know you done your n249 bypass dude, have you moved the valve and its fallen onto the turbo manifold and melted like others have had happen?

I bolted these onto the rocker cover dude so they haven't fallen down or near the manifold, first thing I looked at though

Check your boost hoses.

It does sound like a hose has popped tbh. I had very similar symptoms with the real bad burning egg, singed hair sort of smell.

Thanks guys, that smell sounds exactly like what i had, mixture of egg and burning mess, one of the main boost hoses sounds suspect then?

Brilliant response thanks guys

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
It was the hose from mu FMIC which came off. I had to scrape over a sh1tty speed bump and snapped the jubilee clip.

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
It was the hose from mu FMIC which came off. I had to scrape over a sh1tty speed bump and snapped the jubilee clip.

:doh: oops! does your car have very low suspension lol?

boost pipe of maf. if not i will be shocked

:) awesome, shall try the unpluggin the MAF aswell

Thats where everybody bolts them and eventually the metal snaps and they fall onto the mani

half to double check this aswell, thanks !

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.