Changed brakes, now appear to be stuck on **** 1st post edited.****

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
FRONT BRAKES:

Edit: Right I fitted the brakes, disks and pads earlier, and it seems the brakes may be stuck on. Took it for a little drive and they were smoking. The passenger side was the worst. Any suggestions as to what it may be, and how to resolve it? Thanks

Speaking to a mate last night, he asked if I'd greased the slipder pins (identified in the picture below as "Front Brake Caliper Slides" )
front_brake_caliper.jpg

Pictures taken from:
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_replace_brakes.htm

Got tomorrow off to change disks and pads, but just been doing some quick reading, and notice people are using windback tools, but someone mentioned the pistons being threaded.
I'm changing the front brakes, can anyone confirm if the front ones are threaded?

Cheers

Last edited:

Ethan040

Jan 27, 2009
Nottingham
You wont need a wind back tool at all for the fronts they just push back by hand its only the rears you would need it for.

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
Are they the right pads? When we did mine there were 2 thicknessess of pads and we were given the thicker/wrong ones and didn't find that out until we tried to fit them..

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Think i may have to get a wind tool or somthing...last time i tried to push my pistons back on my front breaks it just wasnt happening...

ian_cupra

where they a tight fit? as most pads you need to rub the ends down where they run on the caliper, so they can move fairly freely. just a thought

FRONT BRAKES:

Edit: Right I fitted the brakes, disks and pads earlier, and it seems the brakes may be stuck on. Took it for a little drive and they were smoking. The passenger side was the worst. Any suggestions as to what it may be, and how to resolve it? Thanks

Speaking to a mate last night, he asked if I'd greased the slipder pins (identified in the picture below as "Front Brake Caliper Slides" )
front_brake_caliper.jpg

Pictures taken from:
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_replace_brakes.htm

Got tomorrow off to change disks and pads, but just been doing some quick reading, and notice people are using windback tools, but someone mentioned the pistons being threaded.
I'm changing the front brakes, can anyone confirm if the front ones are threaded?

Cheers

I was away to say you need to clean them until I realised they weren't yours!

Take out all the moving parts and grease them up! Did you put copper grease around the edges of the pads that make contact with the caliper/carrier? Also as your mate said grease up the sliders but with lithium grease ;)

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
They fitted ok, they were tight, but no tighter than any other brakes I've ever fitted.

I'll dismantle, and clea and grease everything tonight.

Lithium grease? Would it be ok to use copper grease, if I cant get lithium grease?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
did you take the cap of the brake fluid res?

Yea i took the cap off...

I just couldnt get the pads to fit when in the calipper they with both the pads in place there was an over hang of about 1mm on both pads so couldnt get them to go on...

may give it another go when i fit my new susspension, its not like it needs doing my other pads have loads left on them they just cheap ones that were on when i got the car and have glazed over and are squealing and doing my head in...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.