Changed brakes, now appear to be stuck on **** 1st post edited.****

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
there's 2 thicknesses on the solid discs shopping trolley (10/12mm disc) what models yours ?

if they are smoking then something is jamming on incorrectly so i'd at least rip the pads out and check the sliders and see what pad's worn more too to help narrow it down

new discs also at same time ? check the disc surface and the edges for a lip that might be digging in if they are old discs

give the insides a 'good' scrubbing with a wire brush too

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
there's 2 thicknesses on the solid discs shopping trolley (10/12mm disc) what models yours ?

if they are smoking then something is jamming on incorrectly so i'd at least rip the pads out and check the sliders and see what pad's worn more too to help narrow it down

new discs also at same time ? check the disc surface and the edges for a lip that might be digging in if they are old discs

give the insides a 'good' scrubbing with a wire brush too

1. I'm not sure, I'll measure it tonight, the disks werent bought from ECP, as they didnt have any in stock.

2. I'll rip it all out, give it a damn good clean and lube.

3. Yepp, new disks and pads.

Cheers Flapper,

I'll give it a going over tonight, it looks to be dry, so sat on my arse on the drive wont be too much of a problem.

Luckily me and the missus both work in the same office!

Thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if yours is the cupra mk3 i think it is then its vented 280mm diam x 22mm thick

usually just the sliders need using in and out a bit more

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I'll clean them up, and whack some grease on the sliders.

Thanks guys.

I've kinda lost confidence in working on the car, whilst also loosing interest in it.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
LOL, surely they aint that bad?

I think its cars in general that I've lost interest in, I aint cleaned mine in months.

Although I did sort out a rattle, install some sound deadening, and reinstall my roof lining yesterday.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Right took the whole lot apart earlier, greased it all up and refitted it all, took it for a spin and it seemed ok but on a further drive it happened again.
But oddly enough this time it was more on the drivers side and not the passenger side as it was last night. I took this side apart again, made sure everything was covered in copper grease, but I don't think this has resolved it. The pedal does feel quite high and has very little travel in it. Could it be that the brake fluid may have been topped up while the pads were low, and now they are new it pushed the level of fluid up more.

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
try and sorce a second hand caliper. i am always willing to give you a hand mate. save you wasting loads of cash

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Changed one of the disks last night back to the old ones, and there is much more movement in the pedal. I haven't driven the car, as it got to dark to do the other side last night, so will try that tonight.

But after changing just the one disk to an older more worn one, there was definately a difference in the pedal feel.

The guy who normally works on my car in on hols until the end of september, otherwise he'd have been doing this!

thewiizard

Tarmac Tantaliser
Jan 15, 2007
Rugby, Midlands
www.tbfh.org
The only thing that looks odd in that picture is how close the caliper is. It might be right but it looks very compressed as if there is something over tightened but then spacers don't exist so it must just be me.

Can you rotate the wheel by hand once you've put it back on or are the brakes stuck from square 1?

Also, can you push the cylinder all the way back into the caliper? When you refit the 2nd half of the caliper, does it go together quite easily or does it take a lot of persuasion?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The only thing that looks odd in that picture is how close the caliper is. It might be right but it looks very compressed as if there is something over tightened but then spacers don't exist so it must just be me.

I think that that was a "library" picture and not the OP's actual car.

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
sounds liek a sticking caliper?

whip it off, and check for rust on the piston edge (that goes in and out of the caliper) and seal condition?

if your feeling pikey you can rub down the piston with wet an dry to get rid of the rust, and put the seals back in, if your feelign proper, exchange caliper.

if you pikey it, give the brakes a good bleed and a long test to make sure they aint binding again.

have pikey'd a few cheap motors in my time but would be reluctant to use it as a fix on an under-braked and expensive cupra... :lol:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.