Clicking Noise From Front Left of Car?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Hi, I'm new to this site and came across it looking for information about the problem with my car. I have a problem with a 'clicking' noise coming from the front left of the car. I suspect that it has something to do with the suspension. The noise only occurs every now and then (for periods of up to a fortnight) and I think it now produces a burning smell from time to time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Would depend on what type of clicking you mean and what conditions it occurs.

Commonly a clicking noise would point to a CV joint but it would only click when you have full steering lock on (or close to it).

Not sure about the burning smell or the fact it's intermittent but that's the only thing that comes to mind for now.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
The noise usually happens when the car is warmed up, after 10 mins of driving or so, and it occurs constantly when driving. The same noise can sometimes be heard if you turn the wheel from right to left. I think the burning noise may be caused by metal rubbing metal?
Thanks for the advice

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I'm not sure what condition my wheel bearings are in (i am not the most clued up person on cars) but i thought that the wheel bearings made a load groaning noise when they are faulty. I have had the car at the dealer 3 times under warrenty but every time i take the car in, the noise is not occuring and they diagnose no problems. So frustrating!!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that you will find that modern car wheel bearing sets are sneeky buggars and don't give out the early messages like bearings used to. Certainly looking/feeling for "slack" hubs does not usually find anything that would "say" bearings gone!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Today when i was driving to work the steering wheel warning light flicked on and then off straight away. I have had the car in the dealers 3 times already (arnold clark-alexandra parade, glasgow) and i'm wondering if they are even looking for anything under the car, suspension etc cos they just seem to look for the noise even though i have told them that it is not occuring when i take it in, starting to think they are just fobbing me off now and not doing anything about it. Do you think i should try a different dealer?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Car is going in on friday to get looked at in Bickets, Kilmarnock. Hopefully it will be sorted out this time!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Right then, had the car in dealers on friday to get knocking sound sorted which they sorted by replacing the strut mount bearings on front suspension. This clicking noise which i would say is more of a creaking (in heindsight) is now louder than before. Told the dealer i was not happy about this noise so went on a test drive with a technician and he said that the noise that the car is making is torque from the engine! now i know i am not the most clued up person on cars but i do know enough to know that this is bulls**t. I would like to know you guys opinions on this one as i am a my wits end think, the car has been in about 9 times now :cry: Please Help!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
ok, i think that this is definately related to the steering now because when i turn the steering wheel, i am getting this very quite creaking sound that i described earlier. Anybody have any ideas?

Scrachel

it could be your bushes? i had this problem for ages, creaking from front end and after taking it back 3 times they put new poly bushes on and modified my bush arms.

now im having problems with another noise which is more like a clunking against my brake disc on the front passenger wheel, taken it in another 3 times and still not fixed! im going mental!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
it could be your bushes? i had this problem for ages, creaking from front end and after taking it back 3 times they put new poly bushes on and modified my bush arms.

now im having problems with another noise which is more like a clunking against my brake disc on the front passenger wheel, taken it in another 3 times and still not fixed! im going mental!

i have had my bushes done and the revised bushes fitted by seat. it weird cos the noise is not there just now, just the plastic interior making noises lol! Oh i know how you feel about taking cars back and forward from garages, my old car was a complete disaster!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
im beginning to loose faith in my ibiza....

:(

how come? thb i think they are reliable little cars, it just a shame that there are so many niggly faults but i guess thats why they are the budget division of the vag group. It's a true saying imo- you only get what you pay for!

Scrachel

well... mine was in the garage all day again yesterday, its been in the same garage four times now,

theyve changed the suspension bushes

the roll bar

and still couldnt correct all the noises

they spent all day on it yesterday - changed my roll bar bushes

and then found it was actually my bearings causing the problem and replaced those too

all free of charge

and finaly after six months my car isnt making any noise... so far so good.

i pray that it stays this way cause its driving my crazy!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
well... mine was in the garage all day again yesterday, its been in the same garage four times now,

theyve changed the suspension bushes

the roll bar

and still couldnt correct all the noises

they spent all day on it yesterday - changed my roll bar bushes

and then found it was actually my bearings causing the problem and replaced those too

all free of charge

and finaly after six months my car isnt making any noise... so far so good.

i pray that it stays this way cause its driving my crazy!

what age is your car?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise