Clutch Cable mk3 ibiza 1.4

sortu

Got To Love Diamond Audio
Jan 5, 2009
Milton Keynes
hi there guys, ive got a 1.4 ibiza chill, and the biting point on the clutch is extremely high, and the car needs a lot of revs to move off. and dont get me started on hills its the worst lol, another thing is my car doesn't stall if its 2nd, 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th gear, so if i put it in 3rd gear and try and move off the car will move, just as if its in 1st gear, i dont think this is normal? any ideas? i rang local garage in milton keynes (inde tech) and they said the whole clutch would need replacing, in excess of £300!!:wtf:

any advice would me much appreciated cheers
tan

Last edited:
hi there guys, ive got a 1.4 ibiza chill, and the biting point on the clutch is extremely high, and the car needs a lot of revs to move off. and dont get me started on hills its the worst lol, another thing is my car doesn't stall if its 2nd, 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th gear, so if i put it in 3rd gear and try and move off the car will move, just as if its in 1st gear, i dont think this is normal? any ideas? i rang local garage in milton keynes (inde tech) and they said the whole clutch would need replacing, in excess of £300!!:wtf:

any advice would me much appreciated cheers
tan

HA! Yeh right!

Clutch will set you back around £60 if I remember correctly. Labour around 2 hours maybe? Whatever it should be alot under £300!

sortu

Jan 5, 2009
Milton Keynes
HA! Yeh right!

Clutch will set you back around £60 if I remember correctly. Labour around 2 hours maybe? Whatever it should be alot under £300!

wow quick ass reply man, cheers, so u rekon its the clutch that needs replacing then? not just the cable itself?

sortu

Jan 5, 2009
Milton Keynes
my brother has the 1.4 mk4 100bhp, and his car has the nicest clutch and gearbox ever, completely different and so much better than ours lol

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
My biting point is very high too mate. ( Think all the 1.4 are )
I havent tried moving off in any other gear apart from 1st and Im not going to try hahaa.

mines bang in the middle and its done 88k now

Sortu it does sound like a new clutch is needed as it is slipping and remember to buy a full kit (release bearing, housing and plate). Also check the clutch release lever has the correct freeplay (5mm).

sortu

Jan 5, 2009
Milton Keynes
mines bang in the middle and its done 88k now

Sortu it does sound like a new clutch is needed as it is slipping and remember to buy a full kit (release bearing, housing and plate). Also check the clutch release lever has the correct freeplay (5mm).

any rough ideas how much it will cost me mate? price of parts then labour?

sortu

Jan 5, 2009
Milton Keynes
erm sorry just read that, what the hell is this

Also check the clutch release lever has the correct freeplay (5mm).

loL sorry

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
any rough ideas how much it will cost me mate? price of parts then labour?

First check the free play if the cable is adjusted to tight then this will cause slipping, about £300 including the flywheel being refaced would be about right go for a LUK clutch kit they are great quality.

sortu

Jan 5, 2009
Milton Keynes
u rekon its worth just changing the cable first lemonslap? coz i havent got that kinda money atm lol got a service to pay for next month along with cambelt and waterpump

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
erm sorry just read that, what the hell is this

Also check the clutch release lever has the correct freeplay (5mm).

loL sorry

in your engine bay, look at the gearbox and you will see a lever (the freeplay is a service item) this will have a cable attached adjust out till you have the desired result this needs to have a little freeplay to allow the clutch to fully engage.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
u rekon its worth just changing the cable first lemonslap? coz i havent got that kinda money atm lol got a service to pay for next month along with cambelt and waterpump

The clutch cable (£40 from the dealers don't buy from anywhere else as they tend to snap) is a pig on these I did mine because the clutch pedal was heavy and had to take the dash out! Remember this car was designed for left hand drive, so the cable goes into the cabin on the left side and runsunder the dash.

Cainer

Nov 9, 2008
My biting points high! and pulled away from 3rd a few times by accident lol, it was a bit jerky and tried 5th my clutch was stinking!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.