Coming Back to SEAT - Viewing a Leon Mk2 Today - Tips???

V15NEV

Cat Stopper
Feb 15, 2008
Manchester
Hi
All,

Looks like i'm getting back into a SEAT after selling my Ibiza 5 years ago, this time i'm going for a Seat Leon MK2 56 Plate 2.0 TDI DSG Stylance (Dual CC, CC, etc.)

Its up for £6400 and has 31K on the clock so isn't even broken in yet.

Its from a SEAT Dealer and they are offering a 12 Month MOT, Warranty & 6 Month Tax plus they have just services the car.

Does this seem like a reasonable price and deal and do you have any tips of what to look out for when test driving the car later today (around 2pm)

Thanks

Simon :)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
If you're getting 12 month warranty I wouldn't worry too much, just check the obvious things that you'd normally check when buying any car like the bodywork and make sure it feels ok to drive etc..

Might be worth checking to see what kind of things are covered under the 12 months you get just in case.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Check the scuttle panel isn't leaking making the bonnet lining go moldy. I am currently fighting this battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

leonsco

Check the scuttle panel isn't leaking making the bonnet lining go moldy. I am currently fighting this battle.

Seen a car in arnold clark that had a moldy bonnet lining, was going to buy it but pulled out, is this something that is cheap fix or worth not buying the car if i see this again?

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
There is a DIY if you have 1 Verison of the scuttle panel. Unfortunately I have a different version and now I don't know how to fix it. Prob is you can't tell what version you have till you take it off. I wouldn't buy a mouldy 1 tbh as it seems a common problem.

Last edited:

leonsco

There is a DIY if you have 1 Verison of the scuttle panel. Unfortunately I have a different version and now I don't know how to fix it. Prob is you can't tell what version you have till you take it off. I wouldn't buy a mouldy 1 tbh as it seems a common problem.

Is it a fault that affects all leons or just some? take it if has already gone and fixed it will continue to cause problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
My car is going in tomorrow to have the "fix" applied under warranty, but as far as I know it does affect all Leon's, it's just a design flaw.

Last edited:

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
I've had one a month now.
Battery light comes on and I can't put the car in gear and the power steering cuts out.
When going over 70 in 6th gear mine doesn't seem as smooth but it's fine in 5th gear.
DPF light has come on mine. Took it for a couple miles .. 5th gear 2000 revs and it cleared. No doubt it'll come back.
Car is going into the garage on Monday for the first two issues.
It seems a sound car and I like it but these issues are a pain in the ****.
Oh another one... If you stay at a constant speed or put the cruise on.. The car seems to try and accelerate then stops then tries again etc. DPF came on after that. So maybe that's the problem.
Anyway.. Look at the other known problems. There is plenty. Wish I'd bought a newer model or a petrol. Mines 07 reg 43000 on.

Last edited:

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
My car is going in tomorrow to have the "fix" applied under warranty, but as far as I know it does affect all Leon's, it's just a design flaw.

Could you ask how much the fix usually costs when you are in there please. Think I will have to bite the bullet:(

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Is it a fault that affects all leons or just some? take it if has already gone and fixed it will continue to cause problems?

As said above if it's gone it will continue. If it hasn't you're lucky. Affects most unfortunately.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Could you ask how much the fix usually costs when you are in there please. Think I will have to bite the bullet:(

The wife will be taking the car in but I'll get her to ask when she's there.

Can't imagine it being cheap, probably an hours labour +cost for parts circa £75 I'd guess.

V15NEV

Cat Stopper
Feb 15, 2008
Manchester
Thanks for the replys guys.

The car is in great condition apart from a few minor chips and scratches which they are going to resolve, one of the headlights is also going to be replaced as it was full of condensation.

There is no engine cover on the engine and they tried telling me that this was normal and some we're supplied without covers. Sounds like bullsh*t to me as it's more likely it was removed due to mould from the water leakage issue above.

I'm going to quote the TPI number to them for the fix and see what they are willing to do.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home

The car is in great condition apart from a few minor chips and scratches which they are going to resolve, one of the headlights is also going to be replaced as it was full of condensation.

There is no engine cover on the engine and they tried telling me that this was normal and some we're supplied without covers. Sounds like bullsh*t to me as it's more likely it was removed due to mould from the water leakage issue above.

I'm going to quote the TPI number to them for the fix and see what they are willing to do.

I think some cars did indeed come without engine covers, just like some came without battery covers, all part of the Seat parts bin lottery.

Good luck trying to get them to sort the bonnet liner, I had a bit of a battle trying to get it done at my dealers, they couldn't find it on the system anywhere and said it may have been removed as it's not a guaranteed 100% fix

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex

Check the headlights sit at the same level after they fit it. I seem to remember a guy on here had only one headlight replaced and it didn't sit right compared to the one they didn't replace. I think there was a larger gap above to the bonnet or below the light.
I might be wrong and can only speak for my engine (cupra) but on mine the engine cover is part of the airbox. Is that not the case with the one you are looking at?

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
That's a serious amount of money to pay for a 56 plate Mk2, are you sure it's a good idea? You're comfortably into facelift territory or even a Mk6 Golf on that budget. The low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing either as there is a cut off point where you have to wonder why it's so little. May still have had a hard life if all that was done round town.

Sorry to sound negative but from a trade point of view I wouldn't go for it, but each to there own

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
When you say it doesn't have an engine cover you are talking about the plastic covering sitting over the engine block it's self right? Engine covered weren't fitted to all models, my old pd140 never had one but my pd170 does.

The moulding that people are talking about is on the noise insulation on the bottom face of the bonnet it's self. Usually a black felt like material which has big blotches of mould if the scuttle pan has leaked.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members